Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Agreed, Best Plan is to downshift before you come to a stop. Sometimes I forget and start out in third. :biglaugh:

Nice to know, I can now blame it on the DOGS.
All right... Who let the DOGS out..... :shades:

The shift collars/gear combinations have 4 ''dogs'' each so the shift positions are rather coarse and may need significant relative movement to allow for alignment. This is most noticeable when you are stopped and trying to change gears

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
1. Engine braking saves on rear brakes...especially on long downhills
2. Done correctly engine braking doesn't wear your clutch out any faster.
3. Done correctly engine braking always has you in the right gear....especially if your going into a turn.

Almost never touch my brakes unless I'm coming to a complete stop in first, going way to hot into a turn (waiting to long to start losing speed) or need to stop to like 100 feet ago.

Use heavier oil and you will reduce shifting issues, but, in the event you do forget to get into the right gear before stopping and it should happen to refuse the best method to get it to go is to feather the clutch until it lets you grab first...it's rare for mine to do it but very rarely it will require me to shift up then down...but that only happens when I'm in heavy stop and go and heading up a steep hill....hot bike (so thin oil) and high embarrassment factor, so, according to Murphy's law bound to happen.

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, it could be worse. I stopped at a traffic light one time and shifted into neutral. The light changed and I tried to drop it into first. When I did the shift lever dropped down and wouldn't come back up. I had to push the bike out of traffic. I found that the Jesus clip had fallen off of my shift lever at some point and the lever was no longer in the property position.

:blackeye:

I couldn't find a new clip that was the right size, so I fixed it with bailing wire! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I like your plan to downshift for engine braking. And I do love the Suzuki's unique PAIR system sound under heavy engine braking. Which I call my baby semi's jake braking sound. I'm planning to do more engine braking using first to slow the bike when stopping a sure way to be in first at the stop.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I do love the Suzuki's unique PAIR system sound under heavy engine braking. Which I call my baby semi's jake braking sound.
Ain't to hard to tell which twisties I'm playing on around here...the sound of a V-Twin with short open pipes being wrung out back and forth between four and eight grand echoing through the valley is a dead giveaway. :D

I love how Lucies get to sounding when they're running at the top end.....it's not quite muscle car....not quite sportbike....not really a tuner car sound...but it just sounds soooo right...I especially like the growly, snarly, gurgle and pop that comes as it's dragging the engine right before it's time to get back on it hard....the scream right before there's nothing left in third is awfully nice....ever so nice...clutch.. don't give the revs a chance to drop before grabbing fourth, WOT till there's nothing left...pop up into fifth and get back on it before the bike even knows what hit it...WOT, fist full of clutch, fourth let out, WOT hard into third just barely breaking the ass loose before dragging the floorboard in an uphill 300+ deg hard right...........God I love Pa.'s back-roads! Folks that live in flat states have no ****ing idea what they're missing.

Of course as anyone that has ridden a Lucy knows...Lucies have pretty much nonexistent brakes especially when pushed, wet, on the interstate, riding in traffic, going up or down hills etc. and they're even worse if you actually need to use them! So it's good to learn how to ride without relying on them and then do so unless absolutely necessary anyway. :p

·
Registered
728 Posts
Anyone thought to check the clutch push rod? Sounds like it is a bit out of adjustment. I have had to stop several times to readjust it. Takes all of 5 minutes but you have to pull the side cover off the engine to get to it. There are several docs on this site that explains how to adjust the clutch push rod.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I have a 2004 VL800 (not a trike). I always use engine breaking. Even when coming to a stop I engine break most of the way into 1st. Yet if I drop it into neutral I still notice this.

I cant drop it into neutral and get back into 1st without rocking the bike. This is a pain as it does not always work right away. (I will try friction zone, but don't think this would help in this case).

Glad to know it is not unique with my bike though. Generally I just stay in 1st for safety reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
down shifting problems..

In my case. I can up shift with no problem, but I can only down shift two gear. I have to tap it up a little and then I can shift down again. Is there an adjustment I can make to remedy this situation. I realize it means buying parts soon, I just gotta make it through winter.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
In my case. I can up shift with no problem, but I can only down shift two gear. I have to tap it up a little and then I can shift down again. Is there an adjustment I can make to remedy this situation. I realize it means buying parts soon, I just gotta make it through winter.
Hi Richard, Welcome to the VR forum. Since this is your first post, slip on over to the new member section and tell us a bit about yourself when you feel comfortable doing so...

As to your question, a complete clutch adjustment may well improve the situation but if you have read the posts in this thread you know that there are some mechanical limitations that have been built into the machine and contribute to this condition.

You can find the instructions for this adjustment at this link. Just follow them very carefully so the intended adjustment is maintained after all the lock nuts have been tightened.

http://www.volusiariders.com/58-mot...041-free-perfect-your-clutch-manual-page.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was always told that it is an issue with most motorcycle transmissions, if you coast to a stop with the clutch in the shafts are still spinning, but you dont have a gear engaged. When you stop the shaft is not spinning it is possible for the gears to line up tooth to tooth causing it not to engage when you roll the bike back and forth to are no longer tooth to tooth you are tooth to gap ( how it should be) and the gear engages.
long story short the above posts are correct you should be engine breaking and downshifting while coming to a stop. Im guessing on a trike you have to use a little more break given the added weight as i have never ridden one not sure but ya if you downshift you shouldn't see that problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone, I have another type of shifting problem with my 06 Boulevard C50T recently. It won't go the first gear. It can go only neural and 2nd gear, no more higher gears. Any idea to solve this problem? Thank you for your input in advance. Sunju

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
Hello everyone, I have another type of shifting problem with my 06 Boulevard C50T recently. It won't go the first gear. It can go only neural and 2nd gear, no more higher gears. Any idea to solve this problem? Thank you for your input in advance. Sunju
You should really start your own thread instead of replying to six year old posts. You'll get a lot more eyes that way.

Check the linkage on the shift lever. I had a similar problem once when the cotter pin slipped out and the linkage separated. A bit of bailing wire fixed it right up. 😉

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should really start your own thread instead of replying to six year old posts. You'll get a lot more eyes that way.

Check the linkage on the shift lever. I had a similar problem once when the cotter pin slipped out and the linkage separated. A bit of bailing wire fixed it right up. 😉
Thank you for your advice. I'll try the linkage first as you recommend. If it doesn't work, I'll start a new thread for further help. Thanks again. Sunju

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
19 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks back so i googled 'clutch adjustment' and found this site. Completed the three point clutch adjust, and now i can cruise up to the traffic lights and tap it into neutral from 2nd.

Kudos to IronMan for originally posting this PDF on another thread.

Font Terrestrial plant Slope Tree Art

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
I guess because I am an old man and learned how to drive vehicles -- cars, motos, whatever -- with manual transmissions, I realize that the "problem" being discussed is not a problem at all ...
The problem being discussed isn't the original problem. Aa96231 dug up an old thread and commented instead of creating a new one. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
19 Posts
massive respect for throwing yourself n the deep end like that Whiskey. Best way to learn though imho.

I would steal my moms '56 Ford Zodiac (similar above) when i was 12yo for a self-appointed driving lesson, but I was so short I needed a pillow to see the road. On top of that, it was a manual 3speed column shift (stick) that needed double-clutching through neutral using tippy-toes.

oh how i miss the good ol' days 🤪

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
I've actually never driven a column shift. I'm sure I'd get the hand of it eventually, just not sure how bad the whiplash would be.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts