Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Volusia 800. When I come to a stop sometimes I can't get it into first gear. If I downshift before I come to a stop it usually will go into first but if I stop and then shift it won't go in. The shifter has no feel just pushes down and nothing happens. Thinking the clutch may need to be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
When this happens, just roll the motorcycle back or front very slowly and it will shift into 1st very easily

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
Mine does the same thing, perhaps it's just something with the Suzuki transmission. I just release the clutch slightly and reapply, it will drop right into first that way. I find it only happens if I try downshifting from a high gear like 4th, all the way down to first without moving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When this happens, just roll the motorcycle back or front very slowly and it will shift into 1st very easily
Not easy to do when your at a stop light with a car behind you. It's a trike BTW...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
you just have to move the wheels slightly and it should shift easier or do what Whiskey said above

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine does the same thing, perhaps it's just something with the Suzuki transmission. I just release the clutch slightly and reapply, it will drop right into first that way. I find it only happens if I try downshifting from a high gear like 4th, all the way down to first without moving.
Yes this is likely the scenario. I was out for the first time for a long ride. Just got the bike a couple of weeks ago. Most times I was coming up in a higher gear and downshifted late...the just pulled in the clutch and was in higher gear...I'll try the clutch release trick...seems a little strange that the tranny does this tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Sorry buddy - didn't realize it was a trike

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
Yeah, if it'll go into neutral, just release and grab the clutch again. If not, a tiny bit of gas, release the clutch slightly and then pull it back in and it'll drop fine.

I'm kind of glad you posted this, apparently it is the Suzuki transmission and not my bike. I wasn't sure, but it didn't cause a problem so I don't care.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of motorcycle transmissions have that "feature," including my last two Kawasakis. The trick is to make the last downshift before you stop rolling.
I am sorry to say this, but I don't think this is a "feature". On my Honda 750 Areo, it shifts without any problem, even if you "forget" to downshift to first before you stop. To be honest it left me in a dangerous position, at a stop on a hill with a car behind me...I had to lug it through the intersection in second...seems sort of a bad design to me. :cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I did a search and there is an explanation for this.

If you downshift multiple gears with the clutch in, there could be a problem with the alignment of the shift "dogs" once you stop and try to downshift to first. Partly my fault due to waiting too long to downshift...and thinking it wouldn't be an issue. I am just getting back into riding after a long time. I guess I can start calling myself a "noob".

The problem once you are stopped is the transmission isn't moving...and even pulling the clutch may not work to aligned the dogs. I think I tried that.

Basically the best approach is to downshift through all the gears before you stop.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
You need to be in first when you stop anyway. If you aren't you can't get out of the way quick enough when the a**hole cager playing with their radio doesn't see you stopped. Make a habit of ALWAYS being in the correct gear for your speed so you can escape emergencies. That means downshifting as you decelerate. If you do that the bike shifts properly and you are a lot safer. Win win!

Thanks for sharing the reason, I learned something new for sure!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You need to be in first when you stop anyway. If you aren't you can't get out of the way quick enough when the a**hole cager playing with their radio doesn't see you stopped. Make a habit of ALWAYS being in the correct gear for your speed so you can escape emergencies. That means downshifting as you decelerate. If you do that the bike shifts properly and you are a lot safer. Win win!

Thanks for sharing the reason, I learned something new for sure!
Very good points. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My bike has always done that. As above, just release the clutch to the friction point and you will be able to shift down. I do it now without even thinking about it.
You will get used to it.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Okay, I did a search and there is an explanation for this.

If you downshift multiple gears with the clutch in, there could be a problem with the alignment of the shift "dogs" once you stop and try to downshift to first. Partly my fault due to waiting too long to downshift...and thinking it wouldn't be an issue. I am just getting back into riding after a long time. I guess I can start calling myself a "noob".

The problem once you are stopped is the transmission isn't moving...and even pulling the clutch may not work to aligned the dogs. I think I tried that.

Basically the best approach is to downshift through all the gears before you stop.
Agreed, Best Plan is to downshift before you come to a stop. Sometimes I forget and start out in third. :biglaugh:

Nice to know, I can now blame it on the DOGS.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts