Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the shifter while downshifting from third to second (or other gears) where the shift lever doesn't pop back up, but stays at the bottom of its travel until I pull it back up with my toe. This doesn't happen all the time but randomly. No other apparent problems with shifting at this time. Doesn't seem to be affected by tranny temperature. Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Administrator
53,402 Posts
Lube the linkage pivot points. :wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
This has happened to me too. First time it happened to me I was in a tight turn with a car on my tail. :shock: What Psyc0 said is true. I got some white lithium grease in a spray can, pulled back the rubber covers around the joints of the shift linkage, sprayed it on the joints, and then put the rubber covers back over the joints. I also sprayed it into the pivot point of the shifter and took the small tube that came with it and stuck the end of it behind where it connects to the rod that goes into the crankcase. So far I have not had any other problems with it since doing this.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
+1

I removed the shift lever and greased it up good. That was last fall and no problems since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. Good to know that this is a simple fix and not something more "sinister." Will get on with lubing it today :)

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Check out the NEW Bully part in the MOD forum... It's designed to correct this very issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shifting is back to normal

Lubricated all the pivots and shaft with O ring-safe chain lube and the hanging shifter problem is gone. (Wife's bike has a chain so it was handy). Noticed the front pivot rubber boot had been pulled back at some point, perhaps when washing the bike, which may have contributed to the issue. I've found chain lube works great for lubing other pivot points such as the clutch cable to lever end etc. Once the carrier drys it leaves the graphite lube behind. Using the small red tube keeps things tidy. Have been using this as a general lube on bikes for years with no negative effects. Stays on longer than oil, wd40 etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the shifter while downshifting from third to second (or other gears) where the shift lever doesn't pop back up, but stays at the bottom of its travel until I pull it back up with my toe. This doesn't happen all the time but randomly. No other apparent problems with shifting at this time. Doesn't seem to be affected by tranny temperature. Appreciate any suggestions.
Sounds like it's a little square spring loaded pawl just behind your slave cylinder it looks scarier than it is but you can do it,but first try spraying some penetrating oil all up and down your shifting bar.and that pawl is rite in front of or on the shifting cam.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like it's a little square spring loaded pawl just behind your slave cylinder it looks scarier than it is but you can do it,but first try spraying some penetrating oil all up and down your shifting bar.and that pawl is rite in front of or on the shifting cam.
Theres two of those spring loaded pawls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you change gears that smooth metal clicking you feel and hear that's those pawls if the spring gets weak in one it causes the shifting to jam up ok .

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
12 years... Hopefully they got it by now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts