Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely new to motor cycles and have bought myself an 06 C50 with 6700 Km that had been well stored in a heated garage. I have changed all the fluids (oil twice) The bike is everything I had hoped and now that it is over 10,000 it seems that the bike and I are much more comfortable with each other.

My question is this, what are the proper shift points on a flat level road not pushing the bike at all but not lugging it down at all. There is no Tach and the bike seems to feel better with all the speeds higher now. Where do the experienced drivers shift when they are cruising comfortably down a county road not in a hurry? Remember I have never been on a Bike before 8 weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Well, I had my gear ratio changed, but the original I remember pretty much being in 5th gear for anything 40mph or over. I'd hit third gear before getting to the other side of an intersection from a stop.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome and I am glad to hear you took the MSF course. Best motorcycle money you will ever spend.

Shift points may vary with weight and load. When just cruising, I shift to second about 10-15 mph, third about 30 mph, fourth about 40-45 mph, and into fifth about 55 mph. These are indicated speeds so are less than true speeds. You will get a feel for it, just don't lug the bike.

Good hunting

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know of any 'proper' shift points other than what you are comfortable with. These engines don't mind revs, so don't be concerned about shifting too late and over-revving it. As long as the engine doesn't lug after you up-shift, you're fine. If you've had occasion to run it at highway speed, you've heard how fast the engine is turning. It'll run all day like that on the highway if you want it to. I used to feel like I was punishing the engine at 65 MPH, but my dealer reassured me it's designed for that.

That said though, like RellaLou and many other forum members, I too converted the final drive on my bike to get the RPMs down. I also installed a Cobra tach on the handlebars which I find very useful. If you look for a tach, make sure it is intended for a bike with two ignition coils, not just one. Otherwise it will register exactly 1/2 the actual RPMs. If you want to explore the drive modification, you can do a search for DJ drive on this site and see all the history for it going back to about 2006.

You are going to love the bike. I am similarly situated as you, and I love mine. I never suffer from bike envy and have enjoyed equipping it just the way I want it.

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I shift by ear but what Blinky said is true, each gear is good for 10mph, more of course if you are in a hurry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.