Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just took my girl out for a test ride after a compleat rebuild and it only shifts in 1,2,&3 rd gear the Manuel doesn't show where to put the shift forks on drum , lol I think I put'em on wrong ,any help ? It tells you wheat gear to put them on but not which slot is what gear

'02 volusia broken motor on the way to recovery!

Remember THEY are all out to get ya, so be safe and dodge all the IDIOTS !!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help? Book is unclear

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Can anyone help? Book is unclear

QUESTION: Which book do you have?

Not having had this part of the bike apart, I am only guessing....

Double check the external shift mechanism fit and assembly before doing anything else..

Remove the clutch cover and go through the shift sequence with the bike on a stand... Check the assembly for correct position and order....

The gear sections on the shifter shaft and the end of the shift drum must mesh in the middle gear teeth but it doesn't say which gear or neutral is used as an assembly position.

QUESTION: did you mark the shift forks for position when you did the disassembly? I'm not sure how easily they could be mixed up between positions.

These are just suggestions - not a diagnosis.... :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The book I'm using is the online one you (Gene) gave me a link to use when I started working on it. The book has what gear to put the forks on but not the drum(cam). And no I didn't mark it, that's one of the things my brother (helped) me on lol. He pulled stuff without marking or anything else. That's why I've had such a prob with everything he put the stuff he pulled off all in a pile before I could stop him. The shift mec. is centered .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gene for the pics

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Hey Boomer.... my other manual is an older Clymer. It covers from 01-06. The newer ones probably cover 01 to newer models as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tks I'll see if I can find one ..... I prefer a manual that actually has what you need as a mechanic in it not the one I have that's just the basic. I have always bought the "true shop manuals" for my cars ...
Tks again Gene

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.