Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this hope I am in the right place. Last week I traded in my 2006 S40 for a 2008 C50T. Now the S40 on the up shift from 1 thru 3 I would hear a click when it would go in. My C50T definately has a audible clunk when when up shifting. I've read around on the forum and for the most part seems as if this is normal.
I know the oil is right dealership changed it before delivering it to me. I has 4800 miles on it. Clutch feels good not sloppy. I don't attempt to speed shift I used the clutch with each shift. Thoughts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm not sure where to post this hope I am in the right place. Last week I traded in my 2006 S40 for a 2008 C50T. Now the S40 on the up shift from 1 thru 3 I would hear a click when it would go in. My C50T definately has a audible clunk when when up shifting. I've read around on the forum and for the most part seems as if this is normal.
I know the oil is right dealership changed it before delivering it to me. I has 4800 miles on it. Clutch feels good not sloppy. I don't attempt to speed shift I used the clutch with each shift. Thoughts?
Mark,
Went from a S40 to a C50 myself. My C50 has a reassuring clunk when shifting. Unless you are feeling something with the shift, I would say that it is normal. Good luck with the bike and keep us posted.

Good hunting

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,
Went from a S40 to a C50 myself. My C50 has a reassuring clunk when shifting. Unless you are feeling something with the shift, I would say that it is normal. Good luck with the bike and keep us posted.

Good hunting
Blinky you were on the suzuiksavage forum too right? I don't feel anything nor a kickback on my heel when I shift. Actually I think it shifts easier than my S40 did. Thanks for the answer I appreciate that !

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know you guys are talking newer models, mine is a '03 VL800 and definitely I could hear that clunk when upshifting until I decided to use the Rotella T 15w-40 and what a difference. Now changing gears is much smoother and no more clunky noise. Way happy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
452 Posts
Blinky you were on the suzuiksavage forum too right? I don't feel anything nor a kickback on my heel when I shift. Actually I think it shifts easier than my S40 did. Thanks for the answer I appreciate that !
Mark,
Yep, that was me. There are several former Savage owners on this site. Enjoy the bike.

Good hunting

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Not sure about your clunk. If you haven't done it, I would recommend a Gman's Gbushing - a self oiling bushing that will help keep your shifter smooth.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My Volusia has a certain amount of shifting "clunk" though it is minimal and smooth in feel, and I've noticed that my friend on her c50 has a very noticeable shift clunk... though usually on the downshift.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine's a 2005 C-50, stock. Almost all shifting is smooth, RE: "clicks."
However, I often get a major "clunk" engagement shifting from 1st to 2nd at relatively lower revs; IE: in traffic. Otherwise, the gearbox has been exemplary. However, also note downshifting to neutral, and upshifting back into 2nd from neutral also usually results in a "clunk" rather then a click/spin at lower revs; IE: in traffic. ~ S ~

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about your clunk. If you haven't done it, I would recommend a Gman's Gbushing - a self oiling bushing that will help keep your shifter smooth.
I've read that several times on the site. No I havent done it yet since I've only had the bike 4 days but I will look in to that soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine's a 2005 C-50, stock. Almost all shifting is smooth, RE: "clicks."
However, I often get a major "clunk" engagement shifting from 1st to 2nd at relatively lower revs; IE: in traffic. Otherwise, the gearbox has been exemplary. However, also note downshifting to neutral, and upshifting back into 2nd from neutral also usually results in a "clunk" rather then a click/spin at lower revs; IE: in traffic. ~ S ~
I believe that is my condition too. So far most of my riding has been in traffic stop lights stop signs where rarely get out of 3rd gear or faster that 40 mph. My S40 I had would clunk a bit when shifting also. Sounds like it might be common to the suzi's.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered the Gman bushings yesterday for my 2007 C50 and also did a full clutch adjustment. I have replaced the oil with Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w50 synthetic oil last week and had a hard clunk when shifting. I'll see if the bushing makes a difference but for $25, it's not too bad of an investment.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It is kind of amazing how just cleaning and lubing the shift linkage can significantly reduce shifting clunks.:wayhappy: Best cleaned by actually taking linkage apart and cleaning and lubing the bushing etc. The nice thing about using a G-Bushing is it tends to not get dirty as soon as a greased or oiled part which seem to attract and hold dirt.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
It is kind of amazing how just cleaning and lubing the shift linkage can significantly reduce shifting clunks.:wayhappy: Best cleaned by actually taking linkage apart and cleaning and lubing the bushing etc. The nice thing about using a G-Bushing is it tends to not get dirty as soon as a greased or oiled part which seem to attract and hold dirt.
An improvement in shifting can be had, with the heel/toe shifter, just by tightening the pivot bolt where the shifter attaches to the floorboard bracket.

When there is side play in that pivot, it creates a bind that delays the shift movement.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An improvement in shifting can be had, with the heel/toe shifter, just by tightening the pivot bolt where the shifter attaches to the floorboard bracket.

When there is side play in that pivot, it creates a bind that delays the shift movement.
I did lubricate all the pivot points all were clean and good shape. I checked also what you mentioned where the shifter attaches to the floorboard..It may move 1/32 of a inch if that much. I think at some point I will attempt the bushing mod but I think it is the nature of theses suzi's..my S40 that I had clunked too..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts