Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ashamed to admit that I failed on a simple install! Just received my driver's backrest from Grasshopper and when installing, cross threaded one of the 2 bolts that holds the rear of the driver seat down resulting in shearing off the head of the bolt. Any suggestions for moving forward and removing old bolt/retreading?

Thank you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am ashamed to admit that I failed on a simple install! Just received my driver's backrest from Grasshopper and when installing, cross threaded one of the 2 bolts that holds the rear of the driver seat down resulting in shearing off the head of the bolt. Any suggestions for moving forward and removing old bolt/retreading?

Thank you.

Lowes/Home Depot sell kits just for removing of bolts like that. Essentially what they have you do is drill/tap a hole down the center of your headless bolt. Then you use that hole and pull out the bolt. As for replacing the bolt I'd just take the other one with me and buy a new one wherever you get the bolt removal kit.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Lowes/Home Depot sell kits just for removing of bolts like that. Essentially what they have you do is drill/tap a hole down the center of your headless bolt. Then you use that hole and pull out the bolt. As for replacing the bolt I'd just take the other one with me and buy a new one wherever you get the bolt removal kit.
You will probably have to (chase) or renew the threads with the proper size (tap), before trying to install the new bolt.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Be patient when using the extraction and tap/die. Slow and easy is best.
You may or may not get directions with the easy out set but generally you will want to drill the largest hole (in steps) that you can, in the broken bolt without hitting the threads of the threaded hole. This will give you the best leverage for the removal.

Whatever you do, DO NOT break the drill bit in the bolt that you are trying to drill out or you are screwed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have some extra HSS drill bits on hand as you'll probably snap a couple tips trying to drill into the bolt. Ask me how I know!

Soak it with Liquid Wrench or another penetrating fluid overnight.

The threads should be okay, just chase them with a tap to clean them out.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can buy a left hand drill bit set at Harbor freight. If it isn't knarled in too bad, drilling into it with a left hand bit with your drill turning backwards might back out the bolt. You have to drill it anyway to use the easy out. Always nice to know you have a left hand set for these situations!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Off you go with the easy out, go slow, and make sure to keep it straight. They snap real easy if not and if you break one inside the bolt they can be pretty tough to get out. Speaking in penetrating oil is a good idea. If all else fails you can try getting it up a little as well. Just be careful not to damage the paint or melt stuff

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
problem with most tap and die sets is that they do not include fine metric threads. Our bikes use a lot of fine threads. Take a bolt with you to make sure the set has the right thread. One way I chase threads and it has worked well for me is to take a hard steel bolt (grade 8 or equivalent metric) if you can find one and use a hack saw to cut a slot down the length of the bolt near the end to act as a cutting edge. Works great if you are careful to get it started properly. back it out frequently to clear any chips in the slot. With aluminum - it clears bad threads nicely. Good luck..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Victory is sweet! Was able to drill out the bolt, skipped the extractors (weren't productive at all) and chase both holes with the same M6 thread as stock! Tightened down well and backrest mounted! Pic below of the productive morning! ImageUploadedByMO Free1388861659.146534.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts