Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im thinking of doing some things to extend the lifetime that I will have this bike to get it closer to "my" perfection. but have several questions which I will put after the planned items.

Tsukayu Batwing 6x9 fairing (a ways down the road.. long ways)
Already has V&H pipes (gawd they sound great)
DJ mob rear end (once I figure it out)
Hypercharger intake
rejetting

ok so the questions
1: would the batwing fairing block the air intake or enough to effect performance of the hypercharger?
2: what kind of mpg increaces/decrease could I be looking at?
3: with the performance mods will I need a new computer such as the bully?
4: trying to find the hypercharger bully etc but not sure I am looking in the right places?
5: what size of jets would I be looking at needing (and brand cause I heard diff brands would need diff sizes)
6: if anyone has a set up like this settings on things would help too
7: would any special plugs/wires etc give me a % or 2 increase?

my nephew has an 03 shadow spirit and his bike just walks away from mine at any speed. I know the DJ mod will reduce a bit of that snap but hoping the rest can compensate for that and give me a top end that dont sound like its gonna blow up at interstate speed and have passing power available.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Your bike is a 2004 Volusia. It is carbeuretted, not fuel injected. As such, there is no computer and no electronic tuning you can do to the bike. The jets, needle and air/fuel mix are all you can change to adjust the state of tune. Since you already have aftermarket pipes on it, there is a good possibility that it has already been rejetted. Adding a hyper charger means rejetting the carb to compensate, though your gains will be minimal. Fuel economy will suffer (badly) if you select too aggressive of a tune for the bike.

The VL800 produces around 42hp stock. With a jet kit, professional tune and bolt on accessories, you are only going to see 4-5 hp gains. That's it. There is nothing you can do which will make the bike accelerate faster or have a higher top speed, short of adding nitrous or a turbo charger.

If you want faster, you need to buy a different bike.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
ALl the performance mods vor the vol (and I did all of them) were done to enhance throttle response, give me a tiny handful more horsepower and open up the intake exhaust to take in more air.

Nothing will make the bike faster, short of getting some serious mods done... and adding nitrous (which has also been done)

I am one of the few in the "no thanks" crowd on the DJ drive. This bike is supposed to rev like that, its the way it was engineered. And a guy from Suzuki itself told me "this is not a bike for going 80 MPH." and it's not. It's an affordable cruiser and it does that super well, as welll as anyone.

I would not worry about adding a fairing and performance enhancements. An air intake is not going to change the horsepower/power of the bike, so no need to worry about air intake temperature.

Personally, I did all the air/intake/exhaust mods to open it up, re-jetted and added a nice windshield. I had fun all day at the speed limit with just that and a different seat and some leather bags. Lots of other mods is probably spending money that may be best served in bike shopping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replies, I really do. I figure trying these things if nothing else reset to stock.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
You're better off investing the money in useful things like a better saddle and some storage (I do have a pair of saddle bags and a top case for sale in the swap meet *cheap*).... The performance mods do nothing but convert gasoline into noise at a higher rate than stock...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, did some research, and there is an ecu (thought so cause my 1996 xv1100s has one and it's carborated as well) and they sell performance units (such as PC III & V all over the place) I know some people are just nay sayers but im looking for those that have done these things eith success and pick their brains as to the direction they took.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The VL800 was sold from 2001 to 2004 as the Volusia (Intruder). It is carburuetted, with no electronic engine controls. Everything is either mechanical or vacuum operated. In 2005, the VL800 became the C50 and received fuel injection which necessitated a new cylinder head, intake and the addition of a 32 bit ECU to control the A/F mix, based on sensor input. They are very much different bikes.

There is no ECU on a 2004 VL800. Even if there was, you could not plug a performance chip into the bike and expect any performance gains because all of the fuel metering is done mechanically in the carburetor.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Ok, did some research, and there is an ecu (thought so cause my 1996 xv1100s has one and it's carborated as well) and they sell performance units (such as PC III & V all over the place) I know some people are just nay sayers but im looking for those that have done these things eith success and pick their brains as to the direction they took.

Well, Is your bike an 04? If it is an 04, fuel, air and ignition aren't adjusted via any ecu. So, all the things that affect the bikes performance are changed by human hands. Fuel mixture, air intake and exhaust are all adjusted with pretty well documented mods here.

If you have a later model, it is fuel injected and you do need a PC of some type to change pipes.

I changed the intake (forget a hypercharger, those are useless). I removed the intake completely and used a dirt bike air filter instead. Removing all that stuff reduces about 10 pounds of ugly plastic.

I rejetted the bike (of course) using a Dyno-Jet kit set up by a Suzuki tech, disabling and removing the PAIR valve.

I ported and polished intakes and exhaust, and

Replaced the pipes with jardine 2/2s. (The only way to increase hp at the exhaust is with a megaphone 2/1)

Now, I'm not saying its worthless... but it only increases HP about 10 percent (its not noticeable). However, throttle response was great! I didnt change rear ends because that will slow the bike down a bit and I like having a fun 0-60 hop more than eliminating a little buzz at the top end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then I guess I'll need a bigger bike... guess this one will go up for sale even tho physically it's the most comfortable I've sat on and ridden (specially with the gel saddle) I do to much interstate and long trips to have the V&H pipes roaring like I'm at 110mph. They really should have a 6th gear. Sounds incredible at normal highway speed limits and lower tho.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Whoa back there just a minute, ladies!

I had to go way back to a post from September 2002 for this info. So, I fitted DG Hardkrome 3" drag pipes, and a hypercharger to a home made sheet steel airbox and had my 2001 Volusia on the dyno to get it all dialled in.

So the stock bike made 42hp, not sure about the torque.

The bottom line, from the men who built the 422hp, 1600cc turbocharged and nitrous injected Hayabusa and dyno'd my Volusia:

"That's offensively loud, isn't it?

We went for a 140 main, then 150, 160, 170, 180, 200 and then we started to drill out the 200. We run 250 mains on the turbo bikes. This thing is insane.
We have the needle on the last notch, with a bunch of washers under it. At full throttle, it's throwing a foot of flame out the back, and the baffles glow orange."
Peak power at the rear wheel is 50bhp, estimated 70bhp at the crank. Max torque is 59.87 ft.lbs at 3420 rpm.

The hypercharger was a ***** to sort out. It needed the float bowl pressurizing as the hypercharger flows so much air that the pressure in carb body rises above atmospheric, and that stalls the fuel flow through the main jet! FWIW, you a need to drill and tap inside the body of the Hypercharger, and fit a hose barb to bleed high pressure air from between the air filter and the butterflies at the front. This air is then taken through a hose to the carb vent (that normally vents fuel vapour from the float bowl). This equalises the pressure either side of the main jet and allows it to flow fuel correctly. Other than that, it's on a 200+ main jet, and runs sweet as.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Well, it really is a bike designed to be enjoyed as a cruiser... although I have made some 4-500 mile trips on mine, it was a 3rd bike in my garage that fit the bill for cruising around town. those 4-500 miles didn't go quickly; normally a 400 mile trip for me is an 8 hour job at the far outside.

My guidance all came from Suzuki. Their people were straightforward, I once asked someone very in the know before I bought my VOl about performance at/around 80. I was given a very straight answer "we didn't make the bike to 80."

The DJ drive makes it less buzzy on the freeway... but it doesn't make it faster. I have (unwisely) had the bike at a touch over 100 and it is not a stable platform at that speed.

My bike, after I modded it (all of the above plus noology hot spark plug wires) was great fun to ride... but really, at speeds above 70, it wasn't fun to ride at all. Doing the mods was fun and around town the thing would almost hop off the pavement. Which was OK for me, because I bought it to ride off the freeway; I have a very fast quiet bike for riding on long trips/freeway.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Whoa back there just a minute, ladies!

I had to go way back to a post from September 2002 for this info. So, I fitted DG Hardkrome 3" drag pipes, and a hypercharger to a home made sheet steel airbox and had my 2001 Volusia on the dyno to get it all dialled in.

So the stock bike made 42hp, not sure about the torque.

The bottom line, from the men who built the 422hp, 1600cc turbocharged and nitrous injected Hayabusa and dyno'd my Volusia:

Peak power at the rear wheel is 50bhp, estimated 70bhp at the crank. Max torque is 59.87 ft.lbs at 3420 rpm.

The hypercharger was a ***** to sort out. It needed the float bowl pressurizing as the hypercharger flows so much air that the pressure in carb body rises above atmospheric, and that stalls the fuel flow through the main jet! FWIW, you a need to drill and tap inside the body of the Hypercharger, and fit a hose barb to bleed high pressure air from between the air filter and the butterflies at the front. This air is then taken through a hose to the carb vent (that normally vents fuel vapour from the float bowl). This equalises the pressure either side of the main jet and allows it to flow fuel correctly. Other than that, it's on a 200+ main jet, and runs sweet as.
Wow, mine wasn't that loud at all and I got about 52 out of it (depending on who's dyno I was on (I used the free pass I got with the dyno jet kit. That was easier, I think because I smiply got rid of the intake altogether and put a straight filter on.

Still, did that essentially change the bike? No, Not really. I like the Vol/C50. It's just not a fast bike. I like tinkering with it

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Here's the re-jet guidance.

http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jets-injectors-pipes/179224-dynojet-rejet-2.html

I would say do a uni filter, re-jet, use the aftermarket pipes (be careful though, they have to be well baffled or you won't get HP increases because of lack of backpressure, port and polish the intakes and exhausts and get noology spark plug wires.

I bet you can put 50hp to the back wheel. Unfortunately, that makes the bike more fun but doesn't give you anything increased for a top end.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here's the re-jet guidance.

http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jets-injectors-pipes/179224-dynojet-rejet-2.html

I would say do a uni filter, re-jet, use the aftermarket pipes (be careful though, they have to be well baffled or you won't get HP increases because of lack of backpressure, port and polish the intakes and exhausts and get noology spark plug wires.

I bet you can put 50hp to the back wheel. Unfortunately, that makes the bike more fun but doesn't give you anything increased for a top end.
Quite right! The final drive determines the ultimate speed but rider discomfort kicks in way below that speed. Mods like these are for a bit more get up and go off the lights and bragging rights, for the most part, though more torque does make the bike more rideable.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The mods definitely make it more rideable. The throttle is more crisp and responsive but it really didn't accelerate any faster. It just was a whole lot louder and used more gas than before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why the modded rear end... to get a smoother interstate speed out of the engine.

The other mods were to perk up the performance to get some more get up and go, partially from the taller final drive. So that acceleration would be close to the same but smoother higher speeds.

I'm looking for 6th gear at 55 cause if the rpm already feeling wrapped to high.

That's all.... but it's becoming a headache at this point. And I don't want to get to the point of porting and polishing intakes and exhaust. So put it up for sale.... gonna try to find a vs1400, c90, s83, or the like. I love the actual ride of the bike. I just need more legs and nuts to keep up with the group of old vets I ride with.

So if anyone is interested it's over in the bikes for sale section.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
The modified final drive only lowers the engine by about 400 rpm at a given speed, over the stock drive. It helps, but does not eliminate the buzzy, frantic spinning that the 800 is known for. When I did the swap on mine, it was better, but still not perfect. The downside was it robbed the engine of already limited power and caused me to have to use a lot more clutch when I was starting and I spent a lot of time in 4th gear through the mountains, because it could not maintain speed at any grade, 2 up. The pipes, processor and intake helped to restore some of the lost power, but it was still not enough to make it comfortable on the freeway.

I was always playing catch-up whenever I rode with the bigger bikes. They would twist the throttle and go, while I would twist the throttle, have a polite conversation with the intake, request acceleration, eventually was granted a moderate sum and MIGHT see the group disappear over the next rise....

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
That's why the modded rear end... to get a smoother interstate speed out of the engine.

The other mods were to perk up the performance to get some more get up and go, partially from the taller final drive. So that acceleration would be close to the same but smoother higher speeds.

I'm looking for 6th gear at 55 cause if the rpm already feeling wrapped to high.

That's all.... but it's becoming a headache at this point. And I don't want to get to the point of porting and polishing intakes and exhaust. So put it up for sale.... gonna try to find a vs1400, c90, s83, or the like. I love the actual ride of the bike. I just need more legs and nuts to keep up with the group of old vets I ride with.

So if anyone is interested it's over in the bikes for sale section.
A good call, as we said before, you can do a lot to the bike but it just won't make it faster. My local Craigslist has a nice vs1400 for 2000 bucks! That's less than a DJ drive, the above mods and two weeks of cursing in your garage, for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts