Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help with this?
All I have is bungee cords but there are no mounting points to use them. I also have saddlebags. I can't seem to secure the bag resting on the passenger seat without it falling off. Any idea on what straps to use or is there another method? Heard of this Willie and max 'the hooker' but that's sold in US only, I'm in the UK.
Any general advice for touring/camping/carrying a lot on this bike would be appreciated

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hook one end of the bungee cord to the sissy bar mount and criss-cross the bungee over the bag and hook them to the fender. Never had a bag or briefcase fall off yet. But then I also have the stock saddle bags.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
Do you have a sissy bar? I usually hook to it. If not, I've had good luck taking the bolt out of the back of the pillion and running the straps under it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you have saddle bags with mounts then you can hook one end in between the saddle bag and the fender, you may have to create a strap (nylon dog collars work) cross over and hook to the passenger peg mount.
If you have the rear pillion attach it to one side and criss cross over and attach to the passenger peg mount. If you can find a stretchy cargo holder net as well.
I have been doing this for years and never had an issue.
Those who know me know how much I can carry. Including a small bbq and two lawn chairs.
The key is finding the rear place to hook.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They dont sell those Hookers in the UK and buying from the US is silly money.
Thanks for the tips though some ive tried with no success. Trying to figure out a way to make something like the Hooker so i can leave it installed but struggling at the moment

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
They dont sell those Hookers in the UK and buying from the US is silly money.
Thanks for the tips though some ive tried with no success. Trying to figure out a way to make something like the Hooker so i can leave it installed but struggling at the moment
What are you trying to secure?

Bungie cords are good for most things but ratchet straps are far better for all.
The hookless (endless) variety is best, run them across under the seat then around whatever it is you are securing.

If bungies are the only option there are plenty of areas on the rear frame to hook to. But I'd recommend just investing in several hookless straps, trimming two of them to the length you need (secure what'er it is your are trying to secure then cut to length with at least 6" of slop left to tie as extra insurance) then roll up and tape the extra to keep on hand for when you need longer straps.

For most of my hauling things that don't fit in my bags or trunk I use single hook bungies.

Replacing the seat bolt with a thumb screw makes for convenient rear pillion removal for running the straps under (also makes battery access a tool less operation if you have a one piece seat or replace the front seat bolts as well)....if you want to haul real loads adding a rack is a must.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
amateur:biglaugh:
J/K
My biggest load to date was my Fender Bassman 4X10 combo and two basses (Jag and P) with my cello perched precariously (but very securely lashed down) on top of the face of the amplifier (thankfully my pedalboard fits inside the amp!).:wayhappy:
How the he11 did you get a 4x10 on there?!

:applause:

Pics or it didn't happen!

:wayhappy:

Thats what she said....
D*mn! You beat me to it!

:biglaugh:

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The trunk came off and I laid it on it's back on a 2'X3' piece of plywood on the rack and rear pillion (cut down couch cushions served as a buffer between amp and bags), many straps (6), much praying while at stop lights and tight bend. The basses travel in gig bags as does my cello 2 more straps were run through the shoulder straps to secure them on top.

Wish I had pics.....of that time and many others I've hauled servers, monitors, trees (well a few christmas trees over the years), big screen tv's, a pa system, 300lbs of salt pellets, a lawnmower, a large garbage can, a swimming pool, even another motorcycle among all of the things that have ridden my Vol with me over the years.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Bungees do work but for added safety I too like to use the straps with ratchets for securing important loads. I also use ratchet straps when I transport a Motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I take a duffle bag with me when I ride to work. I use two bungee cords and cross them under the carry handles of the bag. As stated below, I hook two of the ends to the passenger peg rails:

The other ends I hook into the holes on the underside of the rear fender rails at the rear:

I haven't had anything move yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.