Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 08 C50T and last week the FI light came on on the speedo face. We took it in and the garage says we have to replace the Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator. According to the Suzuki Canada rep there has never been one ordered as a result of failure in Canada and there have only been a couple in the US. Needless to say 5-600 dollars and a couple of hours labour is gonna hurt when this back ordered item finally comes in. Anyone else ever hear of one of these failing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have an 08 C50T and I've never heard of this problem.

Did they just hook it up to something and that's the code it gave?

I'm glad I got the extended warranty. It's times like this that it pays for itself.

·
Registered
961 Posts
This comes up with GSXR's quite often.
The part is around $600 and you can instal it yourself.
Other people just do without, just find someway to keep the secondary butterflies open.
Google Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator with GSXR.
You may also be able to warranty this with or without a warranty since it's a emission regulation related part.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The valve actuator is not $600 dollars. The throttle body is, and you cannot buy the actuator separate from the throttle body, hence the $600. I replaced one on mine. I did an e-bay search for secondary throttle position sensor. I notice a number of people parting out throttle bodies and the actuators all looked identicle to the one I had that I knew was bad. So I rolled the dice and bought one on e-bay for about $40. When I got it I was thrilled to see it was identicle to the one I had. My Suzuki service manual has the procedure for adjusting the sensor, so I installed it and followed the checkout procedure meticulously. Mine has worked flawlessly for two years.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The valve actuator is not $600 dollars. The throttle body is, and you cannot buy the actuator separate from the throttle body, hence the $600.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I did know GSXR people fix them themselves.
Nice link!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant. I did know GSXR people fix them themselves.
Nice link!
It saved me a bundle. The problem wiht them not offering the actuator is that there is no part number to insure that what you are getting is what you need. I was lucky, the e-bay posting had a very clear picture and I could see that it was exactly like the one that was throwing a code.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately we needed it done quickly and for the parts and labor it was just under $1,000 ouch!. I am writing a letter to Suzuki according to the email my dealer got from the North American distributor of parts this type of failure in the Boulevards is extremely rare. Which to me would means that the part was defective. Maybe they will be receptive and provide some monitary compensation because of it. Doesnt hurt to try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately we needed it done quickly and for the parts and labor it was just under $1,000 ouch!. I am writing a letter to Suzuki according to the email my dealer got from the North American distributor of parts this type of failure in the Boulevards is extremely rare. Which to me would means that the part was defective. Maybe they will be receptive and provide some monitary compensation because of it. Doesnt hurt to try.

Just spent the last 3 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my Boulevard and it is the SVTA. Never got a FI code. Looked around on the web and it seems that it is a manufacturing defect--the consensus is the solder is poor and comes loose over time due to vibration. Checking to see if it's covered under warranty but if not will probably try Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same FI code and was about to follow the stops in the link above to take the whole thing apart. But as I removed the gas tank, I found this! I think rust is my issue. I live by the beach and unfortunately don't have a garage.
I drenched it in WD40 to see if that helps. If not I will keep troubleshooting.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts