Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I just did 1000 miles in a day and a half. Now that I have some time before my return trip, I would like to pick your collective brains for a bit.

When I first bought my bike, I could only go 50-75 miles in a day before my back started hurting I had to spend the rest of the day in bed. I got a backrest a week ago, and I guess that solved the problem! I made it almost 500 miles without back pain. Now, however, I've got some pretty nasty rump ache going on :blackeye: At some point on the journey, it even got bad enough that I bought a padded hat from a truck stop and duct taped it to my seat! (no, it didn't work) I don't have the budget available to buy a new saddle, but I've heard of some seat pads that may do the trick. The two I've heard of are the "Alaskan leathers sheepskin butt pad thingy" and the Airhawk. Any thoughts/ opinions/ alternatives?

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I have the Alaskan Leathers sheepskin pad and it does help somewhat. I think someone makes a Sheepskin that also has memory foam which I think would be even better. Even though I have never used a Airhawk I have a hunch from what I`ve read from others that this tops them both.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I used an Air Hawk II during a 2,000 mile trip on a Suzuki S40 with a stock saddle. Very pleased. If you go with it, be sure and follow the directions and don't over inflate.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I use my "Airhawk r" for my bike, my lawn mower, my tractor, my scooter. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

The airhawk raises your rump 1/4 inch from the factory seat thus eliminating any vibration. (warning)-Start with it nearly deflated. When I first used it I had it about one half inflated. Almost fell off the bike. Was like riding a basketball.
Best money spent.

·
Registered
10 Posts

If you like DIY projects on the cheap, you could cut down a beaded car seat cover. I used half of one to make this for my S50. The mod is easier than it looks. You have to study the weave pattern, but the only part you really have to touch is the back edge.

I've done a few 6-hour sessions in the saddle with it, and it works pretty good - maybe not as comfy as an Airhawk, but WAY better than the stock seat alone. Besides - all those taxi drivers can't be wrong! ;-)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Do your rump and yourself a favor buy a mustang seat with the back rest.
You will never regret it.

I went through......the gel seat....the gel seat with the back rest......the mustang seat.......then to the mustang seat with the back rest and have never looked back.

Expensive yes.....do they come up on this site....Yes......get a used one....Yes...I have had no problems with mine. Converted it from the 2006 to fit the 2009 with no issues. Took a bit of tweaking but it works.

I put 38,000 miles on the first bike, switched it to the second bike that now has 16,000 miles on it. Still feels good.

Your rump and back will love you.

PS. I am 5'8" and did put areomach risers on as well.

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
+1 on the Mustang saddle. Best thing I ever did to my C50. Also a +1 for the Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. It adds a great deal of comfort to the bike. Lastly, go to a sporting-goods store and look for padded bicycle shorts. That adds more padding right on your sit bones and you can wear them under your pants. Best of all, they're moisture wicking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those of you who have had airhawks: Did you ever worry about someone coming along and cutting the straps and just taking it? From the pictures I've seen, those straps look pretty flimsy. I wouldn't want to take the seat off every time I got somewhere just to get the pad off.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Those of you who have had airhawks: Did you ever worry about someone coming along and cutting the straps and just taking it? From the pictures I've seen, those straps look pretty flimsy. I wouldn't want to take the seat off every time I got somewhere just to get the pad off.
You don't need to take off the seat. The straps have a "Z" type hook that connects loops on both sides of the seat. You can slip them off easily. With the non-skid backing on the Air Hawk II, I stopped using the straps. If I left the bike out of view, the pad folded easily and slipped into a saddle bag.

Good hunting

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
I've used my Airhawk on a couple of bikes. It's been the difference between a long day on the road and a suffer-fest.

It takes time to adjust an AirHawk correctly. You need a lot less air in it than you think you do. IMHO, it's best to adjust it while you're sitting on a kitchen chair or something, not your bike. Let air out of it until there's only about 1/4 inch between your "sitz bones" and the chair. Take your time and tweak heck out of this part. The goal is to seriously sink into the pad. If your bum has any burning after riding on an AirHawk, you're almost certainly using too much air in it.

I know some people (indeed I am married to one) who don't care for the kind of squishy feeling you get from riding on an AirHawk.With your butt floating slightly above the bike seat, your weight does shift more as you ride into a turn, for example. It does take getting used to. But it's a lot less money than a new seat, and it can be ported from one bike to another.

Advice: Don't leave an AirHawk uncovered on the bike if you're expecting dew/fog/rain. Once it gets wet, the pad stays that way for awhile, and you'll wind up with a wet rear end.

More advice: Don't buy an AirHawk that's so large it touches your bike's paint as you ride. Eventually its rubbing can mark the paint. Don't ask me how I learned this.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Medium Cruiser Airhawk.

Also, Alaskan Sheepskin, but it is the airhawk that lets me ride all day, day after day.

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 for the Airhawk. Makes all the difference in the world on the stock seat. I have one and a Grasshopper backrest. My legs and arms will get stiff and need a break now before my butt needs one. Did a 1000 mile trip last year, could have done 1000 more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts