Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow volusites,

I've recently completed a modification to the seat on my 2006 M50 that I'd like to share with you. A few people have dubbed this mod the "lumpectomy" or "homeboy" mod, but essentially it just saves your tailbone from crying for mercy about 30 minutes into the ride. When I was trying to search for these I found most posts either were way outdated or their pictures had been removed off of whatever hosting site they used at the time, I decided I'd just make a post myself. I've been lurking on this forum for years but never posted so go easy on me with the responses. Here's the step-by-step as I did it.

Step 1: Remove the bracket from the seat and all accompanying hardware.
Step 2: Remove the staples from the leather starting from where the bracket was and working your way down to about 3/4 of the way to the front of the seat.
Step 3: Peel the leather away from the foam and insert something rigid in between the foam and plastic bottom of the seat.
Step 4: Carefully cut the plastic with a dremel, angle grinder, saw, whatever you got. It doesn't have to be perfect but leave lots of room on the sides for later. Should look something like this when you're done...

Step 5: Here's where things can get tricky. I'm a welder by trade so what I did was cut the bracket where it bends and welded it to a piece of sheet steel I cut to fit. Make sure you dry fit the bracket to the bike before drilling/welding, if those holes don't line up at the end you'll be kicking yourself. If you don't have access to a welder you can flatten the bracket instead of cutting it, drill holes through the sheet steel, and use bolts/nuts to hold them together. If you do use a welder, make sure you knock the chrome off the bracket before you weld otherwise your weld will look like crap like mine.😅

Step 6: Once you have your covering/bracket combination made up, drill holes, as many as you feel needed, through both the covering and the plastic underneath. I recommend using small panhead bolts no bigger than 1/2 inch with accompanying nylock nuts. It will be some work holding the foam out of the way while you reef on those little nylock nuts, you may need an extra pair of hands here to help you. You can take the foam out if you have too much trouble but I recommend not doing that as that can cause your seat to shift and may cause wrinkles on the leather in the future.

Step 7: Add filler material to the gap between the covering and the foam.
Step 8: Stretch your leather back into place and staple it back in place, I used an electric staple gun to do this as my manual powered one didn't have the force necessary to penetrate the plastic. Be sure you aren't wrinkling your leather when you do this. When you're all finished it should look stock:

The whole mod should cost no more that 30-50 bucks depending on what you need to buy for it, but way better than paying upwards of 500 for a new seat. Good luck and feel free to ask questions if needed.

Super Moderator
9,092 Posts
@Parsnip , many thanks for creating an updated how-to post about this topic.

You're right: Between changes to this forum's software, and changes to Photobucket's usefulness, many of the prior posts about the "homeboy mod" contain busted picture links.

I'm going to "sticky" this post, so it stays near the top of the custom mods listings.

Again, thanks on behalf of the Volusia Riders!

Moderator "Woodswoman"
1 - 2 of 2 Posts