Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home a 1972 Suzuki TS 125 Duster.
I don't know a whole lot about them but the reviews I have read are encouraging. If you have/had one chime in.
The bike looks complete with optional luggage rack and fork brace.
The engine fires on starting fluid with one kick but will not stay running, it appears as if the carb (only) has set at the bottom of the Pacific for a few years so that needs to be addressed first.
Not sure what direction I will go with this bike but the Vol needs routine maintenance and the Honzuki needs to be completed first.
Some Pics.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Any bike is awesome!!! I love buying bikes!!! I always look for bikes... Congrats!! have fun with it!!! Now I wanna buy one!!!!! hahaha

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
You haven't lived as a biker until you come to realize the power of a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking for an exploded view for the Mikuni ISO (no other nubers on it) carb, no luck on my searches, any suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first bike, a Suzuki 1970 T250 II Scrambler, was similar to the one you picked up. It was a fun bike. Sold it for parts quite a few years ago.

No leads on the Mikuni carburetor. A while ago, I went to the Mikuni web site and found a tuning/ rebuild manual (.pdf file) that was very helpful for the VM carburetors on my 1975 RD250. I checked their site, but did not see any manuals for an iso carburetor. Are the iso and VM similar? Might give them a call.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You haven't lived as a biker until you come to realize the power of a 2 stroke.
Yeah, when I was 16 I cobbled together a 70's Kaw single cyl. 350cc Big Horn, that thing was a beast!:smoking:
Boy did I get into a lot of trouble with it. Thanks for reminding me.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first bike, a Suzuki 1970 T250 II Scrambler, was similar to the one you picked up. It was a fun bike. Sold it for parts quite a few years ago.

No leads on the Mikuni carburetor. A while ago, I went to the Mikuni web site and found a tuning/ rebuild manual (.pdf file) that was very helpful for the VM carburetors on my 1975 RD250. I checked their site, but did not see any manuals for an iso carburetor. Are the iso and VM similar? Might give them a call.
So far it looks like a vm 24 due to it's 24.5mm throat.
Got it all freed and cleaned up and re assembled have yet to test it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tank was coated inside and the coating is flaking off, does anyone know of a good way to clean it out?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

I used these guys for a Mikuni carb when I had an issue on my vintage ride, 56 Royal Enfield.

Carburetors available instock at Niche Cycle Supply

·
Administrator
52,304 Posts
Non-pumper Mikuni carbs from that era are all basically the same, except for the mounting system and overall size, and slide type.
Main difference is, one used a standard 2 bolt flange, the other was tube shaped, and slid into a rubber flange.
The rubber flanged model offered rapid and simple access for main jet changes, through a brass cap on the center/bottom float bowl, or easy float bowl removal as well.
Whereas, the other required complete removal of the carburetor for any access to the float bowl.

Find any schematic for any like Mikuni carb, and You will find they are near exact, except for the slide cutaway, needle, needle jet, main jet, pilot jet, etc.
The actual carburetor size will be different of course.
The ISO means International Standards Organization, btw.
I'll take a look at My early 70's literature of which I've kept some, and see if I still have a Mikuni schematic to copy to the PC.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
See below

·
Administrator
52,304 Posts
That's the tubed style, flanged carb, the easy access model....VM possibly.
Very basic Mikuni, like the Spigot model (metal flanged) except for that main jet access feature.

Look around Dan's MC online for free schematics.
Here's one linked: Dan's Motorcycle Carburetors Pics

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is flanged mount, lever start and angled drain bolt and independently moving floats.

·
Administrator
52,304 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The tank was coated inside and the coating is flaking off, does anyone know of a good way to clean it out?
If you are going to seal the tank after cleaning, then I use Brick Acid, the stuff they use to clean the bricks on the side of houses. It can be bought at lowe's.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are going to seal the tank after cleaning, then I use Brick Acid, the stuff they use to clean the bricks on the side of houses. It can be bought at lowe's.
I don't plan on re-coating it, Just want to get most of the junk out.
Will the hydrochloric acid do this?
I plan on an additional in-line filter but am worried about the failed coating clogging the petcock filter.

·
Administrator
52,304 Posts
Steel formulated in Japan back in that 70's era, was extremely susceptible to rust from highly corrosive elements.

IMO, probably the worst thing one can do to an old fuel tank is to rinse it with any type of corrosive base or acid solution.

What I would do (first), before acid-washing a very scarce classic MC fuel tank, is to consult an auto frame & restoration shop for proper procedures.

·
Registered
452 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts