Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed a quick fix of grandchildren this week so I hopped on the bike and went to Austin. Trip up from Houston is a little over 3 hours. Spent the day and overnight. On the way home yesterday, decided to take the scenic route. Well over 4 hours. Passes through small communities with very historical significance for Texas independence. Same route that Sam Houston used to "run" from Santa Ana towards east Texas to make the Mexican general use up all his resources, spread out the army to then be defeated at San Jacinto.

Gonzales Texas. In the period preceding the Alamo, General Santa Anna loaned Gonzales a cannon. He needed it back to fight the Texians at the Alamo. He asked for it back... The citizens of Gonzales said " come and take it". It was their battle cry.

This Gonzales jail dates back 150 years. On the second floor are the hangman gallows. Executions were held there up until the 1920's. Tours allow visitors to walk the cells and examine the gallows. 19th century prisoner graffiti is prevelant everywhere. Very difficult conditions.

Shiner Texas

The Shiner Brewery is well known in these parts. Dates to the 1860's. Family owned until the 1960's. Gift shop and tours available. Samples are offered daily. 4 cup maximum. They RE brewing ale, blonde, lager, boc beers.

Halletsville

And you can't go on a road trip without stopping for good ole small town TX BBQ.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got lost in the ride. Doesn't happen all that often but it's wonder when it does. One of those "Hi, I'm having fun!" moments....

Puts a smile on my face.
Actually, your more right than I knew at the time. I was supposed to be home by 6pm for a dinner night out with the wife and an elementary school administrator she is working with for career advancement. I got home at 6:10pm and wife left without me. I knew the restaurant location, so in my riding gear, luggage and all, I rode there. She was pleased to see me... Not!

·
Super Moderator
20,481 Posts
thanx for sharing your trip...nice pics...nice tour...as for the wife not waiting "10 minutes"... its a given and understood man on bike requires 1 hour window of being on time for any date or appt. Nice looking ride too...how does it handle with the tourpack that high?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for sharing your trip...nice pics...nice tour...as for the wife not waiting "10 minutes"... its a given and understood man on bike requires 1 hour window of being on time for any date or appt. Nice looking ride too...how does it handle with the tourpack that high?
I've not realized any handling issues with the pack. We ride 2up quite a bit so I'm used to the heavy handling with a passenger. At times, we have the luggage as well. Minus the passenger but adding the luggage and it lightens up quite a bit. Last 90 minutes was a haul... It was 4:30pm and I called her and said I was 80 miles away and would be home in 90 minutes. Getting dark and getting cold, avg speed was 88mph, indicated. Ran right into Houston rush hour for the last 10 miles. Missed her by 5 minutes. In fact, she said she saw me on the parkway 3 blocks from home and she was not turning around! Lol.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Thanks for sharing. We're in the middle of PMS season here so it's nice to dream.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like fun, I've always wanted to visit the country of Texas.
Yes, it's a Republic state of mind... We prefer you bring a passport for entry and exit.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice pictures. Even though 4th generation Texan, haven't been to some of these areas. Always visit The Alamo when in San Antonio. Thanks for sharing.
We enjoy riding old highway 90A from San Antonio to Houston. It parallels Interstate 10 and avoids the heavy truck traffic. The 200 mile route allows you to take in the historic Spanish trail of Seguin, Luling, Gonzales, Shiner, Hallettsville, and on in to Houston. Beautiful old town squares with county seat buildings.

Some of the best MC roads in this part of the country are just north and NW of San Antonio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts