Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
16,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day of spring and drove by a motorcycle accident on the highway.

I'm sure that person didn't wake up today and say hey, I think I'll crash on the highway today.

Prayers heading out that he's going to be ok. I couldn't tell if a car was involved or not.

For those of us that haven't been able to ride all winter...

Make sure you check you tire pressures, inspect your bikes, cables, brakes, etc... Remember there is sand and salt still on the roads, especially curves and ramps.

Drivers aren't used to us being around so use extra caution.

Please be safe all!!!

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I went to the bike show in Rapid City yesterday..............78 F and there were two bike accidents yesterday. One was a single vehicle fatality............the other a car/bike and the biker survived.

·
Super Moderator
26,050 Posts
Horrible to hear. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yep, the roads around Central Mass are covered in salt and sand. Need a good rain storm or two before I venture out.
Rt. 291 is a fast road too. People get on that and think they're still on the Pike or 91, driving 80mph.
Thoughts and prayers to this 34 yr old's fam. But honestly if I ever end up at Baystate Medical Center, please get me to UMASS!

Reactions: Rich H

·
Administrator
16,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, looking at the scene, I don't think it would have mattered where he went as I'm sure he was DOA. The guy he was riding with was sitting on a guard rail shaking. The ambulance had already left.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
First day of spring and drove by a motorcycle accident on the highway.

I'm sure that person didn't wake up today and say hey, I think I'll crash on the highway today.

Prayers heading out that he's going to be ok. I couldn't tell if a car was involved or not.

For those of us that haven't been able to ride all winter...

Make sure you check you tire pressures, inspect your bikes, cables, brakes, etc... Remember there is sand and salt still on the roads, especially curves and ramps.

Drivers aren't used to us being around so use extra caution.

Please be safe all!!!
To this, may I add, if we haven't ridden all winter, we are rusty. we have lost our edge. Take it easy at first and I think it is a good idea to head for a parking lot and practice our slow speed maneuvers and perhaps some emergency braking. I know I am/will.

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
also consider going over your bike first if its been sitting all winter to make sure everythings up to snuff...especially your tire pressures...most likely they've lost some air.

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
heard a few of our drivers yesterday who passed the scene talking about this accident...got the impression this occurred on an exit going off 291... and speed was a factor...wonder if there will be a followup as to the cause...probably not but would be a good reminder to those just getting back out to ride carefully and responsibly. Could very well have been sand/salt from last weeks storm that created an unsafe riding surface.

·
Administrator
16,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it was at a ramp/exit.

He was riding with another bike that stopped before the exit. His bike was maybe 50 yards past the exit.

·
Registered
20,582 Posts
What a shame. Finally get a good day and people think it's the middle of July. Both cars and bikes.

·
Administrator
16,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
regardless off the cause...shame it happened...prayers to his family in trying to deal with the loss of someone so young.

·
Super Moderator
4,442 Posts
God rest his soul....Prayers goes out to his wife and children.....Be careful VR members...Life is short.

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Very sad and our thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. A reminder of just how fragile life is. Take it easy as you start into the new season.

·
Administrator
29,632 Posts
As a victim of an early season freeway crash I mirror the sentiment. watch those road surfaces, guys.

·
The Village Idiot
5,050 Posts
Yes, the cold, damp asphalt early morning can be super slippery. Make sure you do all your safety checks before that first ride of the season and remember that no one can see you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts