Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,648 Posts
good thread and like ones decision to ride w/ a helmet or without a helmet...in the end we make personal choices and have to accept the consequences... will say tho...in all the times I've been with brothers and sisters from this family here at VOL...I've never seen anyone yet get on a bike where I felt they should reconsider what they were about to do...on the other hand, seen quite a few at rallies who I questioned whether or not they would be able to find their rooms after partying by a campfire at a motel where the rally was being held...good reminder tho.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Riding and drinking is like vinegar and oil it just doesn’t mix. Don’t you just love the signs at different establishments that say Bike night all beer $2.00. Fortunately for me Dennis I always found my room at the rallies, just took a little longer getting there :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
23,784 Posts
I made the mistake of driving when I shouldn't once. Didn't feel drunk at all when I got in the car but it hit me quick before I got home. Luckily I didn't kill myself and I'll never do it again. It's just not worth it. Riding takes too much concentration and skill. I avoid drinking at all if I'm on the bike.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Drinking and driving anything is not only dangerous, but can be highly expensive in many ways.
It just isn't the sport it used be.
Driving around all night with your buddies drinking beer in the car is a time long gone.

We were idiots.
But they were times I'll never forget.

·
Super Moderator
19,648 Posts
Riding and drinking is like vinegar and oil it just doesn’t mix. Don’t you just love the signs at different establishments that say Bike night all beer $2.00. Fortunately for me Dennis I always found my room at the rallies, just took a little longer getting there :grin2:
remember at one of our rallies, one of the group did find his way to his room , unfortunately never found the bed and woke up on the floor...another rally laughing moment.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
I've heard several people say they ride better after a couple drinks because it relaxes them more but I'm not here to argue one way or the other it all depends on how you feel at that particular point in time.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
good thread and like ones decision to ride w/ a helmet or without a helmet...in the end we make personal choices and have to accept the consequences... will say tho...in all the times I've been with brothers and sisters from this family here at VOL...I've never seen anyone yet get on a bike where I felt they should reconsider what they were about to do...on the other hand, seen quite a few at rallies who I questioned whether or not they would be able to find their rooms after partying by a campfire at a motel where the rally was being held...good reminder tho.

Like you, Dennis, this has been my experience too. In general, I think those we ride with (at least those that attend rallies I have attended) know to wait to drink until after the riding is done. I am glad for that because I don't want to ride with anyone under the influence. It might not just be their life at stake but mine too!

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
I've heard several people say they ride better after a couple drinks because it relaxes them more but I'm not here to argue one way or the other it all depends on how you feel at that particular point in time.

I think it would be better if they were alert than relaxed...:wink2:

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
I've done the bar hopping thing with friends, (I drank soda), was always in back and noticed as the day went on they started using their brakes a lot more the more they drank.

Chose not to continue riding with them, although the biker bars were cool to hang at.

·
Super Moderator
19,648 Posts
there is one that does draw me like a magnet when I'm in Maine...

have had some great lunch meets there too...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
This weekend, I took a surprise ride to Harpoon Brewery in VT with a guy I work with and his friends. They went on the tour, I sat outside in the sun. They had drinks and lunch I absorbed more sun. It was a wonderful day and maybe the longest ride I have taken in my 11 years in driving. I was tired when I got home at 9 PM but I was never intoxicated. Could not even imagine if I had a beer or two...

Missed my Volusia buddies this weekend though. Cannot wait for the rally, may have a surprise for everyone... We will see!

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
Like you, Dennis, this has been my experience too. In general, I think those we ride with (at least those that attend rallies I have attended) know to wait to drink until after the riding is done. I am glad for that because I don't want to ride with anyone under the influence. It might not just be their life at stake but mine too!
Well now let's see. We had rallies where people went to wineries as well as breweries. The last time we went to not 1 but 2 breweries. Everybody behaved. You know how to ride. You know how to drink. Many people who stay up late chugging whiskey are over the legal limit when they wake up in the morning and get ready for the day's ride.

Ok, so how many people here are Catholic and go to confession the Saturday before accepting the Holy Eucharist on Sunday but went out and sinned on Saturday night?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts