Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is an awesome bike! The balance is such that it feels like the C-50 when lifting it off the side stand even with its extra weight. This machine was set up really nice with Corbin fiberglass bags, a low windscreen, sissy bar and luggage rack. The bags really blended into the body work like they were factory designed. Wish I had taken a camera with me. Braking system really close to the GSXR 1000 or Hyabusa.
Will try to watch this bike for a year or so for dependability or any other issues until the C-50 is paid off, then???????

·
Registered
849 Posts
lots of $$$

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I was at the local multi-brand dealer ordering a part last night. As I was leaving a thunderstorm hit so I wandered into the showroom to kill some time. I was one of two customers in there with 5 salesguys so I decided to make the most of it. When asked what I was looking for I told the salesdude I was very interested in a big displacement cruiser that can go crosscountry comfortably but is not a bear in traffic.

After going over(sitting on, poking, inspecting etc...) most of the inventory it came down to the C109R (Burgundy, no bags, windshield or extras) or the 1800 LTD Raider. If I was actually looking to make a buy I would have some serious thinking to do over these two.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
amazing how 6 months ago when Suzuki announced this bike and produced pic's of it, everyone hated it and picked it apart. And now, it seems that everyone is warming up to it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Warming up to it? not me.

I sat one one while helping a friend bike shop for his first.

To me this bike is uncomfortable, ugly and just feels wring sitting on it.

Of all the bikes out there that we looked at, the Nomad, the StratoLiner, and the Kingpin fit and feel nice.
The raider is confy, and much better looking in person than in pics, but just not my thing.

All in all, if I was buying a bike tomorrow, one of the above 3 would be the one. I suspect if money were not a concern, the Kingpin Tour would be it, those large swooping fenders are beautiful.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I was pretty hyped about the Raider when it came out. It should have been a very big displacement cruiser for short legged ppl. With those dillweed bars on it, and the ergonomics, I'm not sure WHO it's supposed to be for.

I def want to see and sit on a C109. I can't imagine it beating out a Kingpin for me, but after how well I've liked my Vol, I'm more than willing to give it a chance. Till I have the beans in the bank, I'll ride my Vol and grin.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Just sat on a C109R myself and it would need risers and lowering. Seat was pretty "hard" but that might not be a bad thing. Weight was good but not as good as the Yamaha Road Star/Raider/StratoLiner, but better than the 1600 Vulcan Classic. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
BF UGLY!
Suzuki really disappointed me with that thing. The 109 motor is an awesome machine. Don't get me wrong. For the $$$ they are asking, you would think they could have come up with a TRUE touring bike. Big deal, they slapped c50 or C90 bags and a cheap looking screen on it and call it a "touring" bike. I have always been a Suzuki fan, But my C90 will be my last Zuke for a while. On to HD for the next one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Price, down here at least, is fantastic...it is a full grand cheaper than the M109R...$19,000 on the road at the delaership near where I am doing my coal train driver training.

I'll be getting one in the next month or so...probably trade my '03 C50 on it.

...and yes, coal train driving does pay rather nicely...that's why later in the year when the warantee runs out on our Holden Lumina, the missus tells me we are lining up for a Chrysler 300C diesel... :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Wombat said:
Price, down here at least, is fantastic...it is a full grand cheaper than the M109R...$19,000 on the road at the delaership near where I am doing my coal train driver training.

...and yes, coal train driving does pay rather nicely...that's why later in the year when the warantee runs out on our Holden Lumina, the missus tells me we are lining up for a Chrysler 300C diesel... :lol:
Gee you must be doing well. Desiel users here are getting slammed by the price of it. Costs more than Gasoline here. 18 wheelers are crying and driving slower to save or going outta business.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Wombat said:

Is an Oz coal train a railroad track vehicle or those 3 container trailer hooked up to a tractor? I was amazed at how long those things were on the highway going so fast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Haven't seen the 109 yet. For the money you guys are talking it costs I'd rather go with a Harley.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wombat said:

19,000 is way to much, Stealer in Parkersburg WV has them on floor for right at 15,000 with some extras

·
Registered
637 Posts
2daymightbetheday said:
Wombat said:

19,000 is way to much, Stealer in Parkersburg WV has them on floor for right at 15,000 with some extras
He's tlking OZ dollars here. There's a big difference.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Just looked again today and the price for a "black" was $13499.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not that big a difference with the current exchange rate between the greenback and our dollar, but our grubbyment charges a lot of taxes... :evil:

The coal trains are just that...not "road trains", which are usually a semi-trailer with three or possibly four trailers.
The trains I'll be running are headed by two locomotives, fifty wagons, then two more remote control locomotives, followed by fifty more wagons. Over 1.6 kilometers long and weigh, loaded, about 10,000 tonnes. At 80km/hr they will, in good conditions and under full braking, take up to 2 kilometers to stop. A few details on the engines in each loco...they are a turbocharged 2-stroke 3000hp V-12, of 140 ltr capacity, fed from an 8000 ltr diesel tank. Environmentalists don't like me... :lol:

There are a few vids on Youtube, just search for "Queensland Rail coal train" or something similar, and you will see some, but they are mostly head end trains with only two to four locomotives at the front and about 80 wagons.

·
Registered
637 Posts
rcsiki said:
waterdog said:
He's tlking OZ dollars here. There's a big difference.
Not that big, they're almost at par... 1 USD = 1.06 AUD now.
I guess I'm a little out of touch. The last time I had any reason to compare, the difference was much more significant.

So, he's talking OZ dollars, there's a little bitty difference. :oops:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts