Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new rider and love my C50, but I'm thinking the cruiser style is not for me. I liked it initially, but after some riding, I was thinking about what my "next" bike will be and what style. So I'm gonna finish out 2008 on my C50 and get something else.

I went to a yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki dealership and sat on a bunch of bikes. V strom 650 and 1000, FZ6, SV650, Versys, and Ninja650.

Of those, the versys fit me the best. I'm a small guy (5'4") and the versys had a VERY upright seating position, and was fairly low to the ground. The SV650 was lowest, but I didn't like the seating position and the forward lean. I'll probably still get the lower aftermarket seat, but I think after uch deliberation, I know what to save up for. And the Versys is in for the win.

Just my thoughts. I'll be sticking around and lurking still, as this is a fun board and very active. And in about 8 months, I'll have a C50T for sale.

Alexi

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Out of those bikes, my choice would be either the ninja 650 or the versys.

I've never ridden either but I've ridden the sv650 and I owned a dl650.

I guess the only reason why I'd pick one of those two is because I've never ridden one. LOL I have issues. I need to own a new bike every season and a half or so. LOL

seriously, the 650 kawi engines are said to be nicely engineeered.

I just wish the versys was a bit bigger. They are ALL nice bikes for sure.

When the ninja 650 came out I scowered (sp) the country side in search of one. They were NO WHERE to be found. Everyone was scooping them up for the racing curcuits. I'm kind of glad I never got one because the new colors aren't as nice and I would have never gotten the Triumph. Which I REALY like.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
OH-and until they FINALY deal with the fz6's throttle position problems, stay away. They might have dealt with it by now......

They also are said to have no grunt until higher RPMs where they can tear your arms off. LOL Nice bike but oddly tuned for it's class.

In THAT class, you WANT mid range grunt. You aren't going to be doing the ton too often and you want controllable/usable grunt in the mid range.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
sfalexi said:
I'm new rider and love my C50, but I'm thinking the cruiser style is not for me. I liked it initially, but after some riding, I was thinking about what my "next" bike will be and what style. So I'm gonna finish out 2008 on my C50 and get something else.

I went to a yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki dealership and sat on a bunch of bikes. V strom 650 and 1000, FZ6, SV650, Versys, and Ninja650.

Of those, the versys fit me the best. I'm a small guy (5'4") and the versys had a VERY upright seating position, and was fairly low to the ground. The SV650 was lowest, but I didn't like the seating position and the forward lean. I'll probably still get the lower aftermarket seat, but I think after uch deliberation, I know what to save up for. And the Versys is in for the win.

Just my thoughts. I'll be sticking around and lurking still, as this is a fun board and very active. And in about 8 months, I'll have a C50T for sale.

Alexi
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-versys/pirelli-tires/

should help gear it up. Too bad orange and green is only outside USA

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
My wife, the FlyingJLady, traded her 650 V-Star for a Kawasaki ZZR600, so I spent a long time on the showroom floor while she chose color. (Is black a color?)

I too sat on both the Ninja 650 and the Versys. I also talked at length to one of the sales people. He said the Versys was more "streety" than "dirty". Unlike the V-Strom 650, it was not built for fire roads and back country. (think 2 cyl MOTARD)

My problem is at 5'-10", with a 29" inseam I can't touch the ground on both sides of the Versys, or the V-Strom for that matter. OTH the Ninja650 fits me perfectly and would make a great companion bike for FJL rides, leaving the Volusia for either when cruising with other riders.
~FF~

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
AND!

The new ninja did VERY well when matched up to the sv650. The ONLY short comings (if you would even notice) was the suspension on the ninja.

It's said to be SLIGHTY soft. EASILY fixed. Like I mentioned above, alot of dealership racers snatch the first year ninjas up. They already have a decent network of aftermarket parts.

For a commuter + weekend warrior (me :D ) The adventure tourers are an awsome choice. The dl650 (altough ugly as sin) was a great bike. You could see over small suv's for cry'n out loud! LOL

I've also been looking at the triumph tiger....not in this price range though.
Triumph is supposedly going to release a Tiger Cub. It will have the 675 triple (SICK engine) but no one knows if it will be an on/off road or something more like the on road Tiger. Besides Triumph has a bad habit of feeding vicious rumors and not coming through on new models in a timely manor.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Frederickson Flier said:
My wife, the FlyingJLady, traded her 650 V-Star for a Kawasaki ZZR600, so I spent a long time on the showroom floor while she chose color. (Is black a color?)

I too sat on both the Ninja 650 and the Versys. I also talked at length to one of the sales people. He said the Versys was more "streety" than "dirty". Unlike the V-Strom 650, it was not built for fire roads and back country. (think 2 cyl MOTARD)

My problem is at 5'-10", with a 29" inseam I can't touch the ground on both sides of the Versys, or the V-Strom for that matter. OTH the Ninja650 fits me perfectly and would make a great companion bike for FJL rides, leaving the Volusia for either when cruising with other riders.
~FF~
you want it more dirty see my link for the right tires and gear.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
At 5'4 you're up against it...

The Ninja is a good call for someone with a smaller stature, as well as the bandit. Most people's griping about Ninjas and such is comfort but at 5'4 you have a real motorcycling advantage... you're the perfect size for some bada$$ rides.

Also check into lower seat options for all the bikes you mentioned. I think the Strom is just plain an awfully tall bike. I love it but I've been around dualies my whole life.

You gotta check out the Triumphs too, as well as the Ducatis. Believe it or not, there are nice prices on some of these rides. You can even wangle a Duacati for less than 10. You can go old school rock and roll with a 900 Thruxton... a bada$$ bike from the time machine....

BMW makes the new F800ST. A bargain, low slung bag equipped chain drive bike.

I'm actually a little jealous, if I were 5'4 there would be a lot of cool bike options out there.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
the beemer 800st IS a great bike but it's not in the 5000-6000 price range.....I think it's a belt drive though.

You mentioned ducati. The new 695 (or whatever it is) engine is easy to maintain AND has some gonads compaired to the 620 version. I am hoping to see another ministrada with that power plant.

I was LLLLLLLOVING that bike last year. But I'm thinking that a Tiger or the Daddystrada (or something similiar) will be next to my current bike after we buy a place.

(along with a thruxton)

(and a 'wing)

(and a.......well, you get the picture.)

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
$6000! Boy am I out of it. Those are great prices!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts