Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again,

I have a 2002 VL800. Has anyone installed the Saddlemen Express Drifter Extra Jumbo saddlebags on their VL? If so, did you have to relocate the tail light and signals? I like the idea of extra jumbo bags for maximum storage. I know that Viking makes a universal relocation kit. I just wanted to know before I make my purchase. I will also be purchasing universal mounting brackets from Saddlemen. I was wondering if the mounts will be a good fit also. Since both products are "universal fit", Saddlemen can't tell me if their bags will fit my VL 800.

Maybe another way of asking is, who has installed saddlebags on their VL800 WITHOUT relocating the tail lights and what size bags did you purchase?

·
Registered
20,363 Posts
Watch the measurements on height. You need to leave a couple inches above your exhaust pipes. Remember, if they're not hard bags, they will sag when loaded.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
A long time ago, when I had an 02 VL800, I used Saddlemen XJumbo bags. They fit the curve of the back fender really well. No issues with stock pipe. But I did do a few things to keep them from sagging. First I lined the inside on the tire side with thin birch. And I used EasyBrackets to mount them instead of just throwing them over the fender and under the pillion seat. I think EasyBrackets still exist, but I'm not sure! Looks like they do: https://www.greatbikegear.com/easybrackets.html#/

I might be able to find an old photo if you're interested. PM me if that's the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A long time ago, when I had an 02 VL800, I used Saddlemen XJumbo bags. They fit the curve of the back fender really well. No issues with stock pipe. But I did do a few things to keep them from sagging. First I lined the inside on the tire side with thin birch. And I used EasyBrackets to mount them instead of just throwing them over the fender and under the pillion seat. I think EasyBrackets still exist, but I'm not sure! Looks like they do: https://www.greatbikegear.com/easybrackets.html#/

I might be able to find an old photo if you're interested. PM me if that's the case.
Thank you pbryon! I will send you a pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts