Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at saddlebags for quite a while. Would love to have some of those jumbo Strongs but cant afford it. I love the size of the jumbo Strongs and started looking at jumbo size saddlebags and only found 2 of em, Riverroad slants, size 21.5 x 12 x 9 and Saddlemen Desperado Slants, extra, extra jumbo size 24 x 10.5 x 7 or extra jumbo, size 22 x 10.5 x 7. The Saddlemen Desperado slants are similiar to the OEM bully bags but are much bigger.

Does anyone have an opinion of either makes of saddlebags?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hi Windblown,

I just purchased a pair of Drifter Extra-Jumbo Saddlemen from another member, I know it's not the ones you're looking for but I can at least attest to the dimensions. They are VERY large and hold lots of stuff. Definitely recommend hard-mounting these, though, because they have a tendency to slide down one side or another from vibration and mine ended up on the pipe two times before I decided to bolt them on (I'm actually just waiting for the M8 rod to arrive to do this). Don't go over 11" in height if you don't plan to hard-mount!

I think Saddlemen bags are of good quality and you will love the huge space inside, no matter what "Extra-Jumbo" you are looking for. Check them out at Dennis Kirk (my studless ones are Dennis Kirk Part #: 505614).

Moe

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have the XL River Road bags on my Volusia and they're very nice but require a little bit of work.

They're borderline too big and you'll need to short the yoke and stiffen up the bottom (to prevent sag) or else they'll sit on the pipes. Even with then, they can touch the pipes (stock) when loaded down.

The best option for these bags is to be hard mounted so that you can raise them up a little over what the (shortened) yoke will allow.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/5145

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have the saddleman studded drifter/desperado (whatever the slanted studded are called). I went with the jumbo and not the extra jumbo.

Anyway, they were a good inexpensive replacement for my OEM's. Drilled tiny holes in the back and heavy duty zip tied them to the OEM brackets with the fender bolts reversed for quick on and off.

Held up very nicely and can hold a decent amount. Not quite as much as my OEM's. For example, I now have to debox a 12 pack of longnecks when I used to could fit the box and all in the OEM.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the Extra Jumbo Desparado Slants hard mounted and I love them. I carry my laptop to my office, several bags of groceries, or a case of beer in each, there is plenty of room in them. I don't think you are gonna want to go to the XX jumbo, the X jumbos are about as big as this bike can handle and still look good IMO. There are a couple of pics of them in my gallery.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
If anyone is thinking of hard-mounting their bags, I have just done it myself and for the purpose ordered a M8 threaded rod (8 mm x 1 meter) as ideally you will need (four) 4" bolts for the job (plus some nylon spacers and large diameter washers, SS nuts and perhaps wingnuts for easy dismount.

I used pretty much EXACTLY half of the stainless steel rod which I purchased from a specialty fastener company up in Massachusetts - the rod was $45 shipped (you can't find 4 inch bolts of 8mm thread in any Home Depot/Ace/Lowe's). The other unused half (50 centimenters or 19.6 inches is up for grabs, $20 USPS shipping included, $24 with matching wing nuts. Will also post in swap meet. PM if interested :wink:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the responses. Based on the responses received, I've decided to get the Saddlemens studded Desperado extra jumbo bags and hard mount em using Moe's 8mm bolts :) I found the bags at Phatperformance which had the best prices plus free shipping.

Thank you all for your reviews! 8)

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Windblown said:
Many thanks for the responses. Based on the responses received, I've decided to get the Saddlemens studded Desperado extra jumbo bags and hard mount em using Moe's 8mm bolts :) I found the bags at Phatperformance which had the best prices plus free shipping.

Thank you all for your reviews! 8)
Chris, rod is ready for shipping, just waiting for your reply whether or not you want the matching wing nuts as well.

By the way, you will have to cut the rod into the four 4" pieces yourself... I used a regular hecksaw, took about 10 minutes to cut one bolt, and the saw blade is (of course) toast after that :lol: File the ends with a metal file and champfer both ends SLIGHTLY at a 45° angle :wink:

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you hard mount the bags, you may want to make a backing plate out of 16g sheet metal. I didn't when I hard mounted my Saddlemen Drifters (or Desperados, whatever the slanted studded ones are) and now the plastic is cracking on the back around the holes. I got the idea from someone here on VR, but I don't remember who (sorry.) Anyhow, cut the sheet metal out to the shape of the back of your bags, paint the metal black to prevent rusting (and to hide the backing plate) and pop rivet them to the back of your bags. You probably want to put some silicone sealant between the bags and the sheet metal to prevent water leaking into the bags. Then mark your holes, drill and mount. :) You may want to use some large washers inside the bags just for added protection. As soon as I get mine done, I plan to post some pics in my gallery. It won't be for a little while yet though. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great suggestion, Klutey! Thanks, however, me thinks Ill wait to see how you do yours along with pics :lol: 8)

Thanks, Moe for your help! You reckon you can cut me 4 off that rod for me before mailing em? :p 8)

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hehe, no chance or the price goes up by 50 bucks :lol: As I PM'd you, a good solution is to align the large washers with the already drilled holes in the bag, put an old bolt through so it will stay in place, and drill three 1/8" holes through the washers and bags. Then use a cheap pop riveter with 1/8" rivets and fasten the washers either to the inside or outside of the bags (your choice). That will make sure the weight of the bags is not solely supported by the 2 bolts, but by two bolts and 6 rivets - that'll hold for sure!

Cheers,
Moe

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Moe, you gotta watch Windblown. He'll sucker you into everything. I installed his Mustang for him, his windshield, his lightbar, his Silverstar headlight, his HD fork reflectors, his sissy bar and luggage rack....I could go on and on. He might've done a thing or two by himself, but just about everything on his bike was done by somebody else. :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
:biglaugh: Hey, if he flies me down to Georgia AND feeds me BBQ and German Beer, I will install the saddlebags for him with gold-plated bolts and nuts :lol:

Hey Wind - where's the $$$ for the bolts/nuts??? Gotta take a trip to the post office and UPS today, woud like to drop them off for ya :wink:

TNrookie said:
Moe, you gotta watch Windblown. He'll sucker you into everything. I installed his Mustang for him, his windshield, his lightbar, his Silverstar headlight, his HD fork reflectors, his sissy bar and luggage rack....I could go on and on. He might've done a thing or two by himself, but just about everything on his bike was done by somebody else. :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paypal sent this am.

TNRookie wuvs me :) :) He likes to do things for me while I pretend to be Tom Sawyer. :lol: :lol: Hey, congrats on the purchase of the T-bags and know you are getting ansty but be patient, young fella. By the way, Im looking forward to your adventure on putting those bags on your bike :lol: :lol: :p Better call on your forum buddy! :p

Moe, again, thanks for your help and looking forward to your pics as Im a visual guy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering about the Saddleman Desperado Slants X jumbo bag. I have only been able to find them with studs. I saw that danimal has a pic of the bags without the studs. Does anyone know where I can find them without the studs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts