Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a nicer set of saddlebags than what I currently have on my bike (River Road Classic medium slant bags). I will probably upgrade my bike this season so I will probably get throw-over bags so I can transfer them to the new bike, though I might cut the yoke off and install Easy Brackets (or similar) when I get the new bike. Still, I don't want to wait until the bike upgrade since it might not be immediately, I want to take some trips, and the current bags are looking pretty weathered (especially the rust on the buckles).

I'm thinking something in the $200-500 range (preferably $200-300, but up to $500 will be considered). I want leather. I might go with hard mount and Easy Brackets, but as I said above, I'm leaning towards throw-over bags (I hate to spend around $150 for Easy Brackets for my C50 which will need replaced in a few weeks to a couple months depending upon when I make the purchase of a new bike). I would like something a decent size, but with the fat/high top pipe on a C50 I can't go with a bag that is too tall, most of the size has to be front-to-back.

I'm leaning towards Fox Creek saddle bags or U.S. Saddlebags, probably either company's "Fat Boy" model:

Fatboy Saddlebags - Fox Creek Leather

Throw Over Leather Saddlebags for Motorcycle Cruisers

Does anyone have any feedback on these particular brands? Anyone have any idea which is better? (They are very similar on price). I'm also open to other suggestions.

Finally, a less likely option, but one I'm considering, is to get cheaper sub-$100 bags from Jafrum or Leather Up that will work for now and just sell/trade my bike with the bags and get a hard mount bag for the new bike when I get it. I don't know how good these cheaper bags look, I don't want anything that looks too cheap or looks like junk, but obviously it doesn't matter so much how long it lasts. I doubt the bags would add much of anything to what I could ask for the bike (and I really doubt they'd change the trade-in value at all), but if I sold the bike myself, and if the bags looked decent, it might make the bike sell faster.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'd keep the old bags until I knew for sure if I was going to upgrade.

What if the bags you buy don't fit right/look right on your upgrade? Or what if your upgrade already has bags that are perfect for it? Why spend money on something you'll likely not recoup when you sell?

Just my opinion.

Btw, I like the first bags & the review someone wrote on them sounds pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Fox Creek is a GREAT company, I have their jacket, gauntlet gloves, and a buffalo nickel vest. Soft, THICK and very good quality. Best leather I've ever worn. Are the back made by FC or just sold by them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking for a nicer set of saddlebags than what I currently have on my bike (River Road Classic medium slant bags). I will probably upgrade my bike this season so I will probably get throw-over bags so I can transfer them to the new bike, though I might cut the yoke off and install Easy Brackets (or similar) when I get the new bike. Still, I don't want to wait until the bike upgrade since it might not be immediately, I want to take some trips, and the current bags are looking pretty weathered (especially the rust on the buckles).

I'm thinking something in the $200-500 range (preferably $200-300, but up to $500 will be considered). I want leather. I might go with hard mount and Easy Brackets, but as I said above, I'm leaning towards throw-over bags (I hate to spend around $150 for Easy Brackets for my C50 which will need replaced in a few weeks to a couple months depending upon when I make the purchase of a new bike). I would like something a decent size, but with the fat/high top pipe on a C50 I can't go with a bag that is too tall, most of the size has to be front-to-back.

I'm leaning towards Fox Creek saddle bags or U.S. Saddlebags, probably either company's "Fat Boy" model:

Fatboy Saddlebags - Fox Creek Leather

Throw Over Leather Saddlebags for Motorcycle Cruisers

Does anyone have any feedback on these particular brands? Anyone have any idea which is better? (They are very similar on price). I'm also open to other suggestions.

Finally, a less likely option, but one I'm considering, is to get cheaper sub-$100 bags from Jafrum or Leather Up that will work for now and just sell/trade my bike with the bags and get a hard mount bag for the new bike when I get it. I don't know how good these cheaper bags look, I don't want anything that looks too cheap or looks like junk, but obviously it doesn't matter so much how long it lasts. I doubt the bags would add much of anything to what I could ask for the bike (and I really doubt they'd change the trade-in value at all), but if I sold the bike myself, and if the bags looked decent, it might make the bike sell faster.
I install Mutazu hard saddlebags and they look great on my bike...I think they cost around 245$

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
Willie & Max make a great saddlebag...had them on my o4 for 7 years and they held up well...very affordable too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Willie & Max make a great saddlebag...had them on my o4 for 7 years and they held up well...very affordable too.
I'll second this.
I've had a set of W&M saddlebags on my last bike that lasted me for years of heavy use...they were on the bike when I bought it, so they served the original owner for some time, too.
They were still good enough that I was able to sell them off after I replaced them, only because I wanted bigger bags. The replacement W&M bags did wear out, not the bags themselves, but the yoke that connects them, also after years or heavy use.
I order up another set, also W&M, but right after that, my bike wore out and I replaced it with my current bike...My C50...which already had a set of Saddlemen bags already on it, so I had to send the new ones back without even opening the box. I felt bad about that.
If the Saddleman bags (far, far more expensive) ever wear out, I'll happily replace them with Willie & Max.

W&M bag are not leather. They're a heavy version of Naugahyde, I believe. Very little maintenance required.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm blessed with a couple of local shops that let me try them on my bike before purchase. Tried several out in a wide array of price ranges and materials. Finally landed on a set of no name synthetic material bags that cost around $100. Cant say enough good things about these bags. Got them last season and they still look like they did when I bought them. Nice clean look, keep my stuff dry and holding their shape. I'm a picky guy and cant believe the perfect set of bags for me was a hundred bucks from an old man at the flea market. Theres a lot to be said for being able to try them on your bike before buying. I'd have never ordered them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts