Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided today was the day to rid Bessie of the old saggy saddlebags. :biglaugh:
So It's easy to switch them out right? Well I was able to unscrew the front bolts in each bag, but both rear bolts don't want to come out. They just keep on twisting (using a socket wrench) with no change in distance from the rear fender anchor. I was able to reach up under the fender just enough to verify that the inside (tire side) nut is just spinning when I wrench the outer bolt head. Both rear bolts are doing this. Unfortunately, my attempts to try to maneuver a wrench to stabilize the inside nut have failed- I just don't have enough clearance.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should save this (embarrassingly enough) for the wrench party?

I'm not usually this inept with a relatively simple procedure.....

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
And never, ever, ever take all four bolts out at once.

One side at a time. Keep the opposite side tight.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All! Well, I managed to get the front bolt back on one side, but my efforts to release the rear bolt of the opposite bag are in vain. No room to maneuver a wrench to the inside bolt in the wheel well, probably because I had Bessie lowered- way too tight. And, no bike jack to try to raise her up and create more room. So, I guess I'll be asking my wrench friends to help me with this on wrench day.... I feel so greedy... A lot on my list. I'll try to make it up to all wrench buddies! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,883 Posts
Don't sweat it, girlfriend. This sort of thing is just what the wrench party is for, and we all have our year now & then to have our bikes be the center of attention.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Why is this bad?

I just took my bags off for service and haven't had those four bolts on for ~50 miles. Am I in trouble? :oops:
The inner fender is under load from the suspension. When you take all four bolts out at the same time, you will likely fight to get the fourth bolt back in, it won't line up because the inner fender is twisted.

Do a search on fender bolts.

I learned the hard way :brick:

·
Registered
272 Posts
The inner fender is under load from the suspension. When you take all four bolts out at the same time, you will likely fight to get the fourth bolt back in, it won't line up because the inner fender is twisted.

Do a search on fender bolts.

I learned the hard way :brick:
I learned the hard way too. Pulled the bags off when I first got the bike to do a thorough cleaning. Thought I'd never get everything aligned back up. Then I discovered this forum. :wayhappy:

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wish I had the room to get a tool inside that fender, but the space inside the fender is very cramped d/t (I assume) having lowered her. I'll have to let the experts help me, as I don't have a motorcycle jack (assuming that taking weight off the wheels would allow the wheel assembly to relax and create some additional working space). I fear I might have to take the rear wheel off to do the bag switch.... that's too big a job for me.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Your rear wheel will be off in April when we do the DJ drive mod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts