Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am back within the Boulevard Bikes again, picked up a wrecked 2006 S40 / Savage 650 for 300 Bucks with only 13000 miles on it. After stripping it down, building a new swing arm mounted fender, since we are keeping the rear suspension, already had some bar backs on it, fixing the stock tank as it wasn't too badly damaged. Eliminating as much extra junk as possible, small spring seat, all Iin one tail/brake/turn under the seat between the frame horns, signal mirrors or bar end mirrors front. Custom exhaust, license plate relocation, and some LED style headlight or maybe a pair of lights. Trying to build it for under a Grand. So I am down to making it run again before we continue, as the bike hasn't ran in 3-4 years apparently. Compression is good, and does turn over easily.

Someone has already messed with the carb a bit as the brass cap over the idle air screw is already gone, and figure it's still got the stock jetting but we don't know what stock was.

Anyway exhaust will be free flowing, stock head pipe do a shorty glass pack with a short slash cut at the end, air cleaner will be a small cone filter off the end of the carb.

I've looked at old posts but can't get 2 posts saying what jetting I should get for it, and most likely shim the needle as well I figure.

So I'm back, but I still have my Sporty as well. Only put 500 miles on it this year sadly, but it's been a fun bike, and hope my health is better next year or it may be going away. This is just a fun dad and me project to keep us busy this winter.

Side note.. I am looking for a set of fork tubes, they are straight but some very deep rust putting on them. As hard as this bike went down we are surprised the forks weren't noodles.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
This link is to the Suzuki Savage forum that I am also a member of. Serowbot did a fantastic writeup on the jetting matrix and needle valve adjustments for just about every situation. While you're in the process of rebuilding the wrecked bike, you may want to go ahead and change the cam chain and tensioner, as these are common failure points for the LS650/S40.

I still miss my Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com - Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...

Reactions: Woodswoman
1 - 2 of 2 Posts