Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres everything, I bought a 02 vl800 about a month ago. Rode it 2 and half hours home and ran perfectly. I changed the oil that night. 2wks later its acting up on long rides where i would have to close the choke completely to keep it from dying. I also noticed at the time that closing thr choke gave me considerably more power. I was told when i bought it it was bord out to nearly 1400cc so im thinking that the carb is not giving enuf fuel to satisfy the extra cc. I check the carb and theres no clogs. In doing so i somehow managed ro break the vacuum port of the petcock. I was advised to just plug it and the corresponding port on the carb and just install a fuel cut off valve. Now even closibg the choke all the way doesn't save it from dying when it starts acring up. Next of course i forget to close the fuel and leave ir open for 24 hours. Now it wont stay runnin. It dies rite after i start it. Most of the time when i let of the clutch to go into 1st. I notice my oil lvl is maxed and realize my fuel has leaked to the oil. Ive drained the oil. Put in fresh oil and filter. Still no bueno. Any ideas? I would be beyond grateful if some hero out there could tell me what needs done. Literally will name my first son in your honor! Thank you to everybody thats even taken the time to read this novel for me. God bless

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
1: No, the bike was not "bored out" to "1400cc". Not possible. You still have an 800cc engine.
2: No, you cannot put a manual petcock on the engine. It MUST be a vacuum operated petcock which also acts as your fuel pump,
3: Whoever sold you the bill of goods telling you it was "1400cc" monkeyed with your carb and probably has the wrong jets installed, the wrong air-fuel mix on the tuning screw, along with a host of other sins.

So what can you do?
1: Verify that you have a VL800 "Intruder Volusia" and not a VS800 "intruder". They're not the same bikes.
2: Look up the "sticky" for "carb rejet matrix" under motors transmissions and drives and order a jet kit that matches your current setup (airbox, air filter, pipes). Pull the carb, replace the jets and set air/fuel mix accordingly.
3: Fill a paper bag full of dog poop and leave it on the front porch of whomever you bought the bike from.

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
These bikes are water cooled and the cylinder walls are thin. If it was bored out to 1400 your pistons would be swimming (well actually not moving at all 🤔)

Check the air filter, check the plugs, make sure you have fresh gas - Air, Spark, Boom, start with the basics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Ill give it another shot. Really appreciate all of yalls time. 6
Real quick tho, so have to switch back petcpcks? Cuz i rode for about a week with it switched and i had no new symptons. I plugged thebport on the carb and the petcock.
.....had to ask thats the only thing ive done to the bike that i felt was successful.lol But i will do wat in told.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
02's are a mystery...the 03 and 04 have a vacuum operated fuel pump under the seat...if you really don't want to go back to the vacuum operated petcock, get an 03/04 fuel pump...can't say I blame ya, if you ever run one of these bikes dry it takes FOREVER to get the fuel system primed again, sucks not having a reserve too.

sounds like you have a leaking float as well, as you've mentioned there was a lot of fuel in your oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts