Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the pic, pulled the shaft while the weather isn't good. Found this. My concern is a water jacket leak. I have yet to drain the oil to see if it's milky, so posting a tad early I suppose.

Has anyone else seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good, I did find somethings online that points to the shaft needing to be taken out and have a good Moly paste applied. In process of that, but getting the oil seal off is proving to be a pain.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
Most of us replace the oil seal when we moly our drive shafts. That way it never gets dried out or fails. Plus we can get tough on taking the old one out.

There is a gasket between the pumpkin and the mount( where the 3 bolts fasten). If that gasket is shot, that may have let moisture in around the shaft

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of us replace the oil seal when we moly our drive shafts. That way it never gets dried out or fails. Plus we can get tough on taking the old one out.

There is a gasket between the pumpkin and the mount( where the 3 bolts fasten). If that gasket is shot, that may have let moisture in around the shaft

I take it you had to cut that sucker off :) Only way I can see to remove it..

All advice is appreciated.

Cec

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
Thats the one. The seal that keeps the lube on the spline of the driveshaft. The factory is known to NOT lube those splines.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it's what I think it is, you may find the spline grooves in the drive shaft receiver badly worn away. Many of us have lost drive completely, it happened to me. All repairable but a PITA. Now may be a good time to look for a DJ drive if you can find one, and repair and upgrade in a single move.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Once you get the dust seal off there is a snap ring and inside the end of the drive shaft there is a coil spring. Once you get that apart those are the splines that most have had fail. That's the main area where Moly paste either from Honda or Suzuki is applied. Don't confuse moly grease with moly paste. Two different things completely. Moly past is good for any splines and I believe engine valve stems if doing head work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am trying to find Moly paste here in town, probably going to be a online order. The splines cleaned up nicely and I ordered a new seal, spring and clip for putting it back together. Installing a Barnett clutch plate set while it's down. Thank you all for the help with this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts