Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on 12" bars and I got to tell ya...there is a lot of junk coming down from the grips to the top tree. I am going to route the wires through the bars to hide them. I was looking at just drilling a hole in the bottom of the bars between the risers and bringing the wires in front of the tree and route through the hole. I thought this would look cheese-ball. So, I am going to center-bore the riser bolts on the lathe with a 1/4"-5/16" hole, then drill a hole in the bars above each riser bolt...then you wont see the wires at all...I will post pics of process. There should be no effect on the 1/2"(12mm) bolt, strength wise. I just hope a 1/4" hole through each will accomodate the wires...any thoughts?
Jason

·
Premium Member
5,143 Posts
Hope it works but I know on my I had a much bigger hole and had a hell of a time getting all the wires thru that hole!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Or find a set of VS1400 risers. the VS1400 has the wires in the bars and everything is already drilled including the riser bolts.
Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
good luck! Not sure 1/4 in is sufficient. I ran my wires internally with the connectors still attached and it was a PITA. If you are cutting and slicing you may have an easier time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am planning on cutting and splicing...but I am no longer going to route through the bolts...reason...I run with my bars canted forward, but I will have to roll them back to use my windshield...so I don't want to create a shear effect. So I am going to drill a hole in the center of the bar between the risers and route the wires from behind the trip tree throught the hole...at least they wont be 8out in front...this way will be less noticable.
Jason

·
Registered
686 Posts
boxwrench wrote:

welcome new member.

You can shorten the link displayed by using this form:

name you use

that sounds complicated. got a power point on that? :lol:

No, really, I can't even put the said... stuff in highlight!!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I cut off all the connectors and ran the wires through the bars. I started with 1/4" holes but ended up with 3/8" holes to get all the wires through the bars. Be sure and think ahead and leave a couple blank wires on each side to use or string future items. I wanted to add turnsignal mirrors, and some other things but there would be no real way to add these wires to the mess that is in the bars. Wish I had those extra blank wires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have signal mirrors and I WOULD LOVE TO HIDE THE WIRES!!!! Any one know the easiest way to accomplish this? I don't have a lathe or any of those expensive machine tools, just the basics. Right now the wires are zip-tied to my bars and I am getting sick of that. (Almost made me go back to stock mirrors but I just sold them in the SWAP meet) The signal mirror wire is very small but is drilling into your bars really a good idea???

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
grego said:
boxwrench wrote:

welcome new member.

You can shorten the link displayed by using this form:

name you use

that sounds complicated. got a power point on that? :lol:

No, really, I can't even put the said... stuff in highlight!!
carefully right click and hold button and drag to hightlight it.

bikercom risers

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
jladd said:
I have signal mirrors and I WOULD LOVE TO HIDE THE WIRES!!!! Any one know the easiest way to accomplish this? I don't have a lathe or any of those expensive machine tools, just the basics. Right now the wires are zip-tied to my bars and I am getting sick of that. (Almost made me go back to stock mirrors but I just sold them in the SWAP meet) The signal mirror wire is very small but is drilling into your bars really a good idea???
As long as the size of your hole doesn't weaken the bar; IE like 1/3 the diameter or bigger it should be ok. Just a PITA in my view. Also if you change risers or bars then you hafta to do all over.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
jladd said:
I drilled my holes in the switch boxes on each side. Then I drilled two 3/8" holes between the risers. Ran all the wires through the bars. See above why I suggest adding extra wires. Anyway, bike now has 14,000+ miles since I did it and if it is detrimental to the handlebars it hasn't happened yet. Now I remember, you were thinking of selling those mirrors and I was first in line. No problem, hope you get it done. My turnsignals are LEDs replacing the windshield screws.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mort said:
jladd said:
I drilled my holes in the switch boxes on each side. Then I drilled two 3/8" holes between the risers. Ran all the wires through the bars. See above why I suggest adding extra wires. Anyway, bike now has 14,000+ miles since I did it and if it is detrimental to the handlebars it hasn't happened yet. Now I remember, you were thinking of selling those mirrors and I was first in line. No problem, hope you get it done. My turnsignals are LEDs replacing the windshield screws.
Haha, don't worry, I remember you. Do you have any pictures of your bars with the wires hiden?

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
jladd, I don't have any pictures handy. But I will tell you that it's like peeing in your dark colored pants. Nobody notices except you get a warm feeling. If you ask 20 riders to look at your handlebars, only 2-3 will notice no wires right away. It is prolly because the brakelines, throttle cables and clutch cable is still there zip tied to the handlebars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mort said:
jladd, I don't have any pictures handy. But I will tell you that it's like peeing in your dark colored pants. Nobody notices except you get a warm feeling. If you ask 20 riders to look at your handlebars, only 2-3 will notice no wires right away. It is prolly because the brakelines, throttle cables and clutch cable is still there zip tied to the handlebars.
great analogy. would that same 2-3 people also notice my wet pants?

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
jladd said:
Mort said:
great analogy. would that same 2-3 people also notice my wet pants?
Prolly not unless they were dePAIRED. :lol:

·
Registered
993 Posts
jladd said:
I have signal mirrors and ran my wire through my bars. I ran the bars through the same time I installed the mirrors. A lot of work and a lot of people don't even notice it. I did mine the same way as Mort drilling on the bottom side of the handle bar between the risers and then holes under the control housings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts