Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for about 100 miles today and noticed on the way back that if I am in traffic and have throttle about mid range or lower, my bike lurches like I am at too low of RPMs for that speed. I know I'm not because if I downshift, it is screaming at me... I thought I lost a baffle or something, but that wasn't the case. I checked to make sure.
If anyone has any thoughts that could help, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Easiest fix would be bad gas. I like to start with the easy to fix things. Did you buy gas from a out of the way gas station.

Do you have a Volusia or a C50 it might matter. Carbs vrs Fuel Injection.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Volusia. I also, just recently rejetted the carb to spec. I don't seem to have any issues at cruising throttle.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got cobra pipes and put in the recommended jet for aftermarket pipes with baffles and stock air filter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same happened to me a couple of yrs ago on my 04 Volusia. It was carbon tracking from 1 plug wire,or was jumping and arcing spark from the plug wire. At full throttle the ignition system was strong enough to overcome this and still get the spark to the plug and when at low throttle the ignition system was not sending a hot enough spark to create the problem,just happen about 3/8 to 3/4 throttle. It was about time to change my plugs and wires anyway,after doing this the problem went away. Also I've noticed this when using the high pressure hose at the car wash,it shorted out one cylinder. When I got back home I removed the wires and put some dielectric grease on them and never has occurred again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check my plugs and wiring. I didn't even think about that. I will update in 2 weeks when I get back from this field mission that I'm leaving for tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Sometimes new jets can have build up when new. I had a new carb installed in my Suzuki Samurai had my local shop do the work as it involved changing out a lot of parts that would not work with my new Weber Carb. The shop just couldn't get the carb adjusted. So I took it home kind of limping along idle was lousy had too be set high just to keep engine running. I too couldn't get it adjusted and then I had the brilliant Idea of removing the adjusting needles and spraying the passages with carb cleaner. Put the needles back in and the carb adjusted in less than 10 minutes the shop had burned over an hour trying to set it up. I went back to my local shop and told them what I had done. My guess is the gas they used to test the carb at the factory may have dried up and gummed up the needle passages something was affecting the needle valve adjustments which the Spray Gumout carb cleaner fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts