Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched and looked at many setups/bikes in the VR spectrum, decided on the roadhouse classic for looks and sound. Is this installation easy to do or should I get help from friends and local mechanic? I'm one that like to try to figure out things . but paying this much for nice pipes I don't want to screw it up. Thanks for your input VR.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Be sure to lay everything out and dry fit all of the pieces before installation. I would put a cloth over the engine to prevent scratching anything. Make sure that you use WD40 on the pipe connections when dry fitting on the bike otherwise it will be difficult to pull them apart prior to final installation.

If you are installing serrated heat shields, do not follow the instructions or you will end up scratching the pipes. You should install the top clamps to the serrated heat shields prior to connecting the header pipe to the engine.

For the final tightening, you will need to twist and flex the lower heat shield to keep it tight to the front serrated heat shield. An extra set of hands is helpful when doing this.

Good Luck!

Wild Man

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
you may want to ask slimbone, he had aexperiece with both serggated and solid shields. the pipes ended up on swagfu's bike (check for pics).

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Smooth shields are much less of a hassle, as the serrated look is far too much maintenance for my taste. Wild Man had his serrated shields powder-coated, so he had no problem with discoloration like I did. The main problem with the serrated shields is that they will quickly turn a yellowish-brown depending on the variances in the outside temperature. Since pipes obviously get hot, the color will darken as the outside temp of the season gets cooler. I live in Michigan, so when the pipes were installed in February, you can only imagine how quickly the color turned. :oops: This primarily happened with the front header pipe, but does eventually happen with the rear too. And before you ask... it has nothing to do with how your bike is jetted (it's not a 'too lean' problem... it's the metal that the serrated shield is made out of... just ask RH customer service).

Although I prefer the classic look of the serrated, the smooth shields are nice looking too. RH charged me $130 shipped to get just the smooth shields to me. So if you get the serrated and also want the smooth too, just order directly from RH.

Also, keep in mind that the Roadhouse Brand pipes are not very loud. Sure, they have a nice lower tone to them, and they sound much better than stock, but they are the quietest of all the other aftermarket pipes, and are even quieter than debaffled stockers.

Hope this all helps.

-Slim

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
^^ Exactly! I prefer the serrated, but being stainless steel, they will yellow. I am going to paint mine as Wild Man did. That's sharp in my book. I have an unused set of smooth shields if someone wants. They did not have smooth when I ordered, but sent a pair later. By that time I was sold on the serrated look (this was back in Dec. 01).

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention duglaura. I don't know if anyone else ever had this problem with the serrated shields, but one of my top clamps' thread wore out after awhile. :evil: This was a big pain, and the primary reason why I ordered the smooth shields. Because of the thread wear, the shield would keep popping out of the top clamp, and leave a very noticeable gap.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think the later shields are different than mine. I've noticed many look like a large hex nut next to the header. How do those mount to the header pipe? Mine is just a round decorative piece that is held on with a hose clamp similiar to the other end. I'll try and get a pic when I get home.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
vol210 said:
Mine is just a round decorative piece that is held on with a hose clamp similiar to the other end. I'll try and get a pic when I get home.
Please do take a picture... mine certainly wasn't like that.

One more thing worth mentioning is the loss or right foot peg clearance. This shouldn't be a problem for anyone with floorboards, or forwards. Keep in mind that the RHs sit further away from the bike than the stock pipes do, and therefore give a little less room for the right foot to sit on OEM pegs. Just buy yourself some wider aftermarket pegs like the Kuryakyn Duallys or ISO wings.

Also, carbs need not be rejetted with these pipes. Although a rejet is recommended to justify for the additional horses the RHs can provide, it's not a necessity.

-Slim

·
Registered
129 Posts
vol210 said:
^^ Exactly! I prefer the serrated, but being stainless steel, they will yellow. I am going to paint mine as Wild Man did. That's sharp in my book. I have an unused set of smooth shields if someone wants. They did not have smooth when I ordered, but sent a pair later. By that time I was sold on the serrated look (this was back in Dec. 01).

Jim
Sent you a PM.

Wild Man

·
Registered
40 Posts
question for slimbone and other roadhouse users,

without rejetting and roadhouse on, did you notice any performance increase?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Don't know, had the rejet done while the pipes were being changed. But, there was a significant change when it was rejetted while still using the stock air box. Big improvement! The next step was rejetting it again with a K&N filter, and the improvement on top of that was very slight.

I remember telling Larry after the RHs were put on that it felt like the Vol's throat had really opened up (to use a figure of speech). I'm sure it had to do a lot with just the pipes being changed, as the stock pipes are so constricted in their unaltered state.

-Slim

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Gotta couple pics of the old RH serrated header shield ends. Pay no attention to the dirt :shock: :roll:

Jim

·
Registered
884 Posts
After I installed my Road house I did notice a big increase in power . Maybe imagined but it fell much more powerfull. Then I did the rejett and never noticed anymore increase in performance. lets ride. :D

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Hey vol210,

I'm jealous that they stopped making the connectors that way. A much better setup, and those darn serrated shields wouldn't be able to keep popping out!

-Slim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Slimbone said:
Hey vol210,

I'm jealous that they stopped making the connectors that way. A much better setup, and those darn serrated shields wouldn't be able to keep popping out!

-Slim
I had a problem getting the serrated shields to seat firmly under the clamp when following the Roadhouse instructions. They want you to install the clamp while it is on the bike and twist it and tighten, which does not work well. What I ended up doing is marking where the clamp needed to go and removed the header pipe from the bike and then installed the clamp and serrated shield. I then reinstalled the header pipe with the serrated shield on the bike. This worked out really well and the serrated shields are very very tight. I could not pull them out it I tried without loosening the clamps.

Wild Man

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Wild Man,

My threading problem was not there in the beginning. When they were first installed, they were on there real good. I made some adjustments shortly after installation to get all the pieces (yes, there are a few of 'em with these pipes) to fit exactly how I wanted. About a week later is when one of the serrated shields decided to pop out.

When I went to install the smooth ones, I played around with the serrated jobbers after they were no longer on the bike. The simple truth of the whole matter is that one of them threads, and the other does not. Oh well, I'm probably the only one who ever had this problem. And if we all had the type connectors that vol210 had, I'd of never experienced it!

-Slim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Slimbone said:
Wild Man,

My threading problem was not there in the beginning. When they were first installed, they were on there real good. I made some adjustments shortly after installation to get all the pieces (yes, there are a few of 'em with these pipes) to fit exactly how I wanted. About a week later is when one of the serrated shields decided to pop out.

When I went to install the smooth ones, I played around with the serrated jobbers after they were no longer on the bike. The simple truth of the whole matter is that one of them threads, and the other does not. Oh well, I'm probably the only one who ever had this problem. And if we all had the type connectors that vol210 had, I'd of never experienced it!

-Slim
The thing that aways amazes me with Roadhouse is that they charge $130 for replacement serrated shields when you can buy the similar serrated tailpipe covers at Autozone for $7 each. It makes replacing the shields cost prohibative, especially if you don't know if it will fix the problems that you were experiencing. Oh well, I think that your new pipes are really cool Slim.

Wild Man

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Thanks Wild Man, I like 'em too... they're nice and loud. Only transitional pipes, though. I'll be getting the HW turn downs this winter!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Slimbone said:
Thanks Wild Man, I like 'em too... they're nice and loud. Only transitional pipes, though. I'll be getting the HW turn downs this winter!
Slim,

Are you going to order the weld-in baffles as well? I really like the turn downs. I think that they are a big improvement over the Morton Violators. Be sure to check with Kathy on a price as her Highway Hawk discounts are the best that I have seen.

Wild Man

1 - 20 of 23 Posts