Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Road trip: Colorado

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  cclukins 
#1 ·
Gonna head out tomorrow---no plans other than to get thru MO and KS on interstate, then get off and explore. Colorado Springs for a couple of days, Pike's Peak n Garden of the Gods. From there, into the mountains? Will probably hit National parks.

Any suggestions for nice rides, things to see or do, and good eats would be appreciated. We're not the go kart, wax museum, tourist town types. I'll have a couple days on the slab to digest your recommendations. Got about 20 days free.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:grin2:

#4 ·
Still kicking. Canceled Sunday ticket, I'm Waiting for the Browns to get it together. Y'all gonna head west this summer?
We did the sw Utah loop from Zion thru Bryce, Escalante, back down thru valley of the gods and monument valley last spring after we rode thru NM and AZ. Thought we might tool around Colorado for a bit.

#3 ·
Mt Evans west of Denver off IH 70, at Idaho Springs exit. 15,000 ft summit and return. Unbelievable experience. Some days require warm weather at the start and cold weather up top. Also, Trail Ridge across Rocky Mtn National Park from Boulder, Estes Park over to Winter Park/Fraser.

Reactions: mondarlo
#10 ·
From Colorado Springs head north on I25. Take the second Monument exit (NOT Baptist road, the next one), at the end of the exit turn left. Take I think the second or third light and turn right (go over the interstate and the next light). That is 105. Follow it ALL the way down. It'll change names but it's the same road. You'll pass through Palmer Lake. They have a restaurant called O'malley's that my wife says is good as well as another place called The Depot. Harder to catch them open though. Keep going past Palmer Lake and you'll have a good road that'll take you through a place called Larkspur. Nice riding and a few trail heads you can stop off and walk if you want.

I just left that area yesterday on my bike I bought there and like I said, my wife is from there.

#12 ·
Colorado Springs.

From Colorado Springs head north on I25. Take That is 105. Follow it ALL the way down. It'll change names but it's the same road. You'll pass through Palmer Lake. They have a restaurant called O'malley's that my wife says is good as well as another place called The Depot. Harder to catch them open though. Keep going past Palmer Lake and you'll have a good road that'll take you through a place called Larkspur. Nice riding and a few trail heads you can stop off and walk if you want.

Thanks. Might do that tomorrow. Gonna go down Royal Gorge in morning, may do that in the afternoon.

Side note: Staying at a Bud n Breakfast where the evening wine and snack includes herb. Interesting!

#11 ·
And when I say go all the way down, I mean that is the road for riding. Palmer lake is only a few miles into it and Larkspur is a bit farther down. More road after that!

#14 ·
Great Pics!! I wish I could have spent more time on the road while I was there. I have gone to all the places out there, just not on my bike. Cage only. I explored the roads I told you about earlier because they were easiest to get to since we were staying in Palmer Lake!

#15 ·
Didn't get to Larkspur.....spent the day tooling around Royal Gorge, back up to Cripple Creek on some back roads, the up to Wilkerson pass. Nice easy day. Another nice evening at the B&B. Up this morning, we headed down to Great Sand Dunes, then across Wolf Pass...ran into brief rain, briefer hail, wound up in Durango. Long day. Gonna head up the Million Dollar Highway in the morning.

#16 ·
Thanks for the update. Beautiful riding in that area. I still feel the riding in CO is one of the best trips I ever made. The loop for me was Pagosa Springs, Durango, Ouray, Silverton, Montrose, Salida, Breckingridge, Winter Park, Fraser, Trail Ridge, Boulder, Royal Gorge, and down into NM. 6 days.

Reactions: mondarlo
#19 · (Edited)
Sorry I didn't see your post till this evening. We had a great time riding the state. Little warm below 7,000 ft, cool above.

1. 550 the Million dollar highway is great.
2. Co 92 from Curecanti back toward Crawford, it follows the Black Canyon rim. Also, if you get to Crawford, there's a restaurant that was owned by Joe Cocker.(his wife still drops in according to our server)
3. Pikes Peak n Mt Evans are both good up n back rides at 14000.
4. The road thru rocky mt. Nat. Park is pretty cool.
5. Wilkerson Pass on 24 has great long views over South Park.
6. Although an interstate, I-70 has great scenery following the Colorado River after you go thru the tunnel.
7. If you get to Leadville, check out the Delaware Hotel. Priced comparable to Hamptons, but definitely not a chain!

Enjoy and ride safe. (Safely---I keep forgetting the grammar police)

#21 ·
I like then Mts., so every time i could get cool I did.

Poudre Canyon is another nice ride with the Mishawaka for lunch. From what I heard, you only wanted to be there on performance nights if you had a parking pass--35 bucks. Small venue--1000 people max, but serious talent has been there---pictures of acts line the walls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.