Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just joined Volusiariders. And of course I have a question ,Answer first I suppose I'm 5'3 145 pounds. Please be honest I'm looking at c109r.
You guys think I'm pushing

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
Way, way, way too much bike. It is nearly 1000lbs. Think about trying to lift half a ton off the side stand every time you throw a leg over the saddle. Find something less ore freighter.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Official welcome to the VR family-friends.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
30,491 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I agree with Skrap. There are other options out there that won't weigh quite as much and will be a lot easier for you to handle.

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
67 Posts
only thing I will say about this as I think my bike is too big for my"frame" ,, no matter what size bike you get, make dang sure you can pick "her" up IF you happen to drop "her". OH and welcome, welcome, welcome, to la familia.

·
Super Moderator
23,931 Posts
welcome to the family here...as a owner of both models...the difference in weight in both models is suprisingly not much less...give or take a 100 lbs...

2006 Suzuki Boulevard C90 specifications and pictures (bikez.com)

more leg room and a better sense of gravity as the gas in my model is stored at the bottom of the bike, not in the top jugs they are stored in in my 04 volusia...

have had the issue several times of needing to pick up my bike from careless tip overs...forgetting to put down the kick stand...and was able to right it up, something I know I would not be able to do on a similar size mc.

It is a 5 speed but you will find the motor sufficient enough to find cruising on a highway at 75 alot smoother than the 800 models where you feel it working alot harder...surprisingly too I got better mileage on my c90 than my volusia...low 40's on the volusia vs high 40's to low 50's on my c90...needless to say the fuel injection of the c90 vs the carbed engine of the volusia plays into that...currently on my 2nd c90, lost the first one in an accident, and have been very satisfied with it, currently at 75k...don't be so quick to write it off...find one you can sit on or even see if someone here is close by and will let you ride theirs. Where are you located?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also owned the predecessor to the C90, an 03 LC1500. Great bike, wife and I rode all over the western US and Canada, but he is looking at a C109R,
Dry weight listed at 787.1 pounds. I'm not sure if the gas is under the seat as it was in my LC, but put gas in that, you're at 800 pounds or more. Depending on his age, it could be a challenge. I owned a Star 1300 Tourer, as stated above, they are available at a fair price used, and it's quite a bump from the 805 CC motor. It's 712 + pounds, his best option would be to shop around, sit on different bikes, lift them off the sidestand, and even go for a low speed parking lot ride, if possible.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
How old are you? Are you in good shape? Hows your back? How are your knees? Be honest with yourself when you answer these questions. Cause sooner or later, (probably sooner,) you are gonna have to pick up your bike. ( Ask me how I know. ) :p Welcome to the site, from Oklahoma. :)

Reactions: ByronW

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota! My vl800 has the c90 final drive mod and I live on a freeway. Mod is cheap compaired to a new bike IMHO.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The C109r is a great bike, I had one for 5 years and had several 2000 mile road trips with it. You run into a problem on a gravel parking lot and have to back up. I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs. I would keep what you have and put a C90 rear in it or get a Goldwing with reverse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just joined Volusiariders. And of course I have a question ,Answer first I suppose I'm 5'3 145 pounds. Please be honest I'm looking at c109r.
You guys think I'm pushing
Don't pay attention to all the nay-sayers. If you really want a bike that big, Go For It. I mean, you're the one who wants to ride a Big bike. Don't worry about coming to a red light with your front wheel turned a little as you grab the front brake and you hit the ground. That's what AAA is for. They can come pick it up for you. OR call an Uber to take you to the dealer for a new bike. Heck, I had a GoldWing. That was plenty heavy and when I dropped it I almost busted a gut picking it up. But I had the Big Bike that I wanted. It was Fantastic. Now with 2 new knees and a really bad back I have a C-50. I ride it everywhere. In South Texas 85%--90% of my riding is interstate at 75-85 mph. It sounds like it could use a 6th gear but it doesn't so I just ride it how I want to and I don't worry about it. The C-50 is an 805. I rode a Honda CL350 for 2200 miles in 3 days at 70-75 mph when I was younger and it only had 4 gears. These things will do almost anything you want them to do. I figure it will probably last as long as I want it to and then I'll get something else. There are some things that really Should be taken into consideration besides the idea that ((I Need a Big Bike)).
Just make sure you have good insurance. Most bigger bikes come with more speed and That can get you into trouble if you don't treat it with the proper level of respect. Whatever you decide just Ride Safely....

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Or, yanno, you can just learn how to properly lift a bike up...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I put thousands of interstate miles each year on my 2009 C50, commuting and camping...
...and I'm taller and weigh more than you.
I've found it to be a very capable touring bike.

But if you just want to buy a bigger bike, that's up to you. :)

Reactions: CJ Carr
1 - 15 of 15 Posts