Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Skrap - as a restaurant manager, I see any number of adults on a daily basis that will ask at the front door,"make sure you don't seat us near any kids".And I work for a restaurant co. that prides itself as an 'occasion' restaurant, so we have people of all ages all the time...my mentor/bro in law is a lifelong rider, and has brought his sons up in motorcycling in nearly all aspects, his 14yo races motocross and has ridden w/us on the Dragon(says its a little slow for his taste)..my stepsons love to go riding w/me, and I'm glad to take them. Now , being kinda new to all of this, I'm sure that there are times and places not fit for kids. But everywhere else, bring your kids if you want . Screw 'em if they don't like it!

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
There is or was a restaurant in San Francisco, near the wharf, Fog City Diner that on the door was a sign that said, "No cry babies allowed".

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
FOG CITY DINER is very famous, would be surprised that it isn't still in business!! Even was featured in (I think it was AMEX) AMerican Express COmmercial. Ate there once.. Of course it was great, there isn't a BAD restaurant in all of San Fran!

Back onto topic, Skrap bring your kids wherever you think it is fitting, screw them if others have problem! I have no problems with anyone else's kids...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have a dirty word filter. I keep it on 99% of my life. I don't swear around other peoples kids. I don't swear around my kids or my parents. I don't drink around other peoples kids. I don't make explicit comments around other peoples kids. I don't do any of those things at work either. So there comes a time when I want to let go and not be on guard. I like to swear. I don't drink much, but when I do, I don't want to be concerned about kids being near by. When I go on a multi-day ride with a group of like-minded adults, staying in potentially seedy hotels, I don't envision having kids along.

Specifics.... Skrap and Grouch, your kids are good kids and they are almost invisible on Friday when I arrived. I knew they were there, but they weren't there when I was hoping they wouldn't be. We had a big drinking party Firday night and you guys were there. The kids were not. Perfect. We all drank, and I know that 195 had something to do with the following morning based on the amount skrap consumed. That stuff can and does cause chemical burns internally. Could easily mimic a stomach virus, but anyways. Mr E delivered the message. SAMM wanted to be heard as a collective. Maybe people didn't want to approach you individually and talk to you about your kids. Maybe they wanted to see if others felt the same way before bringing it up? It wasn't meant to sound cold or mean, but there isn't much that can stop it from seeming that way. I like you guys. You're fun and love riding, but more importantly, love your family. SAMM loves all of it's members, but I think we've now figured out that it's really an adult riding group. You're adults. You are more than welcome.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
And you can call me and ride with your kids and I anytime you wish. ANd let's face it, I'm the best part of SAMM anyway... :lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
And you can call me and ride with your kids and I anytime you wish. ANd let's face it, I'm the best part of SAMM anyway... :lol:
You wish! You know we only ride with you 'cause your bike's so purdy.

Miataman- we understand, really. But could this maybe have been mentioned BEFORE we planned our family vacation around the ride, during the 10 months of posting about it? Honestly, we wouldn't have been offended if someone had just said "We're hoping this will be an adult-only ride so we can cut loose."

Anyway- water under the bridge (is that baldddguy's blood on the bridge deck? ewww). Now we know that SAMM rides are AO, and can plan accordingly. In future, for those following this thread, if you post in "Schedule a Ride," give folks a heads up by listing it as Adult Only or Family Friendly.

So who's up for that group hug.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:

Oh brother... :roll:

:lol:

·
Administrator
52,342 Posts
TheToolGuy said:
Born2bWild said:
Ok, I just have to say.... SHUT UP!!! :scream:

Sorry....had to get that off my chest....
Just to be sure you better show us your chest.
Agreed! :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Last weekend, I said to Studly, "You know, I think it's totally cool that a husband and wife both ride, and that they're able to bring both their children along".

Skrap, I've got no problems with you and Grouch's kids. Between the two times I've ridden with you and your family, they've been well behaved, and that's awesome. Please understand that I don't fall into the "majority" that Mr. E. talked about before.

You know, it's kinda funny. I don't have any children of my own. Never wanted any, and still don't. However, to my benefit, I usually feel like I can still be myself when children are present, because they generally tend to shy away from me (must be my big scary, intimidating presence) :lol: And the times I can't be myself when kids are present, I remind myself that I'm a grown man that knows how act responsibily when needed to.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts