Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Skrapie - I'll ride with you again and with the kids. I look forward to when my youngest is old enough to ride (I haven't decided what old enough it yet) so we as a family can get out and meet more of you folks. Many of us put in long hours at work and it is tough to justify taking off on a long ride without the family on the weekend. While not exactly a small child, I had a ball with my daughter at RT and she did as well.

For those of you with daughters, if they have been raised around bikes, they will more than likely get the itch and I'd much rather have them riding their own than on the back of a bike with some yahoo riding her around.

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Lab_Rat said:
Skrapie - I'll ride with you again and with the kids. I look forward to when my youngest is old enough to ride (I haven't decided what old enough it yet) so we as a family can get out and meet more of you folks. Many of us put in long hours at work and it is tough to justify taking off on a long ride without the family on the weekend. While not exactly a small child, I had a ball with my daughter at RT and she did as well.

For those of you with daughters, if they have been raised around bikes, they will more than likely get the itch and I'd much rather have them riding their own than on the back of a bike with some yahoo riding her around.
I hope we didn't traumatize her too badly! Poor thing, stuck with us for a weekend with NO cellphone!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
ECKS said:
Lab_Rat said:

I hope we didn't traumatize her too badly! Poor thing, stuck with us for a weekend with NO cellphone!
Given that she wants to come again next year, I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I don't know all the circumstances that lead up to Skrap's original post, but I'll add my .02.

First off, I ride with my son on the back of my bike...occasionally and am very selective of when and where. I have parameters for allowing my son to ride with me and I'm not about to try to defend them on here. That's just me and I've decided what are "acceptable" risks.

I understand that kids on motorcycles is taboo, doesn't matter what the reasons are. I know some of those reasons and concerns and understand where most of them are coming from. Again, doesn't matter, just the fact that the taboo exists is enough.

I also understand that some don't want my kids around for x event (not necessarily motorcycle related) and again I understand most of the reasons. If it's an event that I was invited to, I'll either leave my kids at home, or just not go. Sometimes my feelings get hurt, but I always get over it because I understand why.

Lastly, if I'm not comfortable attending an event because someone is bringing their kids, I keep it to myself and make the personal go/no-go decision. If it were an event I was personally responsible for, I'd have no trouble making it adults only if I felt that was what the majority wanted knowing full well that feelings may get bruised. I would hope those friends would understand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not taking my kids golfing on a Saturday at a busy course, it would hold up the group behind me and impact their fun.

I would take a day off go out in the morning to a quite course and enjoy the time together.

I have the same opinion with bike gatherings. Teach the kid to ride and respect it, but there are times and places where a kid doesn't need to be.

I didn't read most of the pistes but that's my take on kids and bikes or kids and adult recreation.

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
If Chucky Cheese and Amusement Parks, Didnt beat out most of the rides I go on, My 6yr son would be with me on 98% of the rides i go on. I never worry about what people have to say. They can voice their opinion if they want. My son will ride with me all he want til he dont want to ride anymore. ok, im done. Now who is selling something i can put on my bike :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Skrapiron, Sir, I can not tell you how much I enjoy seeing someone stand up for including their children! I am a youth pastor and I deal with the extreme opposite of this--neglect and shoved aside- daily. In my life I raised my own kids with the attitude that if my kids were no welcome then I was not either!!! I am in Southeastern Ohio but would really like to have the opportunity to ride with you and the YOUNG ONES. You will be blessed by the way you are standing for them. My youngest now has children of her own and grandkids are GREAT!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
2daymightbetheday said:
Skrapiron, Sir, I can not tell you how much I enjoy seeing someone stand up for including their children! I am a youth pastor and I deal with the extreme opposite of this--neglect and shoved aside- daily. In my life I raised my own kids with the attitude that if my kids were no welcome then I was not either!!! I am in Southeastern Ohio but would really like to have the opportunity to ride with you and the YOUNG ONES. You will be blessed by the way you are standing for them. My youngest now has children of her own and grandkids are GREAT!!!!!!!
:applause: :applause: :scoot: :scoot: :scoot: :applause: :scoot: :scoot: :scoot: 8)

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
kettlinton said:
ok, im done. Now who is selling something i can put on my bike :D
I don't care who you are... That thar is FUNNY!!!

(OldTraf and I think alike... we're both sick, twisted ) :p

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
steveg said:
if i had to guess, this would be the primary reason most people feel that way. i know i always feel like sh!t after swearing in front of kids.
I took my 14 yo daughter to TOTT II with me. When we arrived it was great meeting folks. I was talking to miattaman and Pass when one of them sweared and then looked at Pistol and sorta hushed up. She sensed this and went back to the room. I went and asked if she was ok. She told me she did not want anyone to feel like they could not have fun around her. I then told her that for that weekend only she had my permission to cuss and the next time she sees someone sorta hush up after cussing to just tell them fu*k it it will be ok. She did and Pass and miattaman laughed and we all had a great time after that. she still talks about VR people to this day. She even helped wrench on Pass' bike with us. That was the very best father / daughter time ever. Every Sunday when she calls from boot camp she asks what's going on on VR.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
w2ge said:
kettlinton said:
ok, im done. Now who is selling something i can put on my bike :D
I don't care who you are... That thar is FUNNY!!!

(OldTraf and I think alike... we're both sick, twisted ) :p
Don't be so hard on oldtraf .... on the other hand, you are sick and twisted. :D

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
C-50 Rider said:
steveg said:
if i had to guess, this would be the primary reason most people feel that way. i know i always feel like sh!t after swearing in front of kids.
I took my 14 yo daughter to TOTT II with me. When we arrived it was great meeting folks. I was talking to miattaman and Pass when one of them sweared and then looked at Pistol and sorta hushed up. She sensed this and went back to the room. I went and asked if she was ok. She told me she did not want anyone to feel like they could not have fun around her. I then told her that for that weekend only she had my permission to cuss and the next time she sees someone sorta hush up after cussing to just tell them fu*k it it will be ok. She did and Pass and miattaman laughed and we all had a great time after that. she still talks about VR people to this day. She even helped wrench on Pass' bike with us. That was the very best father / daughter time ever. Every Sunday when she calls from boot camp she asks what's going on on VR.
It was nice having her there. :) She didn't get TOO traumatized by the late-night goings-on... :lol:

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
C-50 Rider said:
That's a great example C-50 Rider. You taught your daughter well! Though mine are slightly younger (12 and 10) than yours, I told them the same thing. They're mature enough to know that adults don't always act like adults and they act accordingly. Likewise, I never asked or expected anyone to alter their behavior just because there were kids around.....

But I'm willing to bet, despite all outward appearances, SOMEONE at that gathering was saying 'WTF did he bring his kid for???' They were probably pretty angry just because she was there. It has nothing to do with behavior or how they interact, it is just their presence that made someone mad.....

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
2daymightbetheday said:
Yep, and I still will personally find the opportunities to ride with Skrap and family also. Any kid that wants a hand grenade is OK with me.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
As we all know, things are hardly ever strictly black and white.

Skrap, you think having your kids on a bike ride made some people uncomfortable.

In your "Never again" thread you state,
We all took our turn and took a swig of the white lightning. I think I had 3..... Anyway, I was pretty well shnockered when I went to bed.
By your own admission, virus or not, you had set yourself up for a serious hangover the next day.

Are you sure THAT is not where the objections to having your kids along comes from? If that's the case I can certainly understand the concern.

This whole scenario is not sounding as "Family Friendly" as maybe it was initially described.

As a parent, putting your kid on the back of your bike is a risk you can assume, doing it with a hangover is irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
472viper said:
As a parent, putting your kid on the back of your bike is a risk you can assume, doing it with a hangover is irresponsible.
If either of us had a hangover, and we were continuing on with a group ride, I would have let the ride leader know we would catch up later. That's just common sense. I would also expect any other member of a group ride to do the same if they were in some way impaired.

It's interesting how many people ASSUME in this forum. Perhaps more open communication, through PM, e-mail, the phone or in person, would minimize temper flares and hurt feelings.

·
Super Moderator
20,510 Posts
Mort said:
If you don't mind your little kids seeing women hanging boobs out and walking around with thong and leather chaps, be sure to take them with you to the rally. If you don't them learning that one gets drunk, then goes and fondles himself or another person's private parts then take them to the rally.
guess our rallies here in the northeast must be considered "Family Friendly"... the worst thing that goes on here are midnight water balloon fights... not that theres anything wrong with the above type of rallies...guess its up to the adult to make sure what the scenerios will be and what they will be subjecting their kids to...

41 - 60 of 111 Posts