Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to Cape Coral, Florida next month, then crossing Florida on US 41, spending the first night in Key Largo, then going from Key Largo to Key West. (I did a search and found Krislord was planning the exact same ride a couple of years ago, but I didn't see any follow up on how it went.)

I'm guessing that there won't be a whole lot of gas stations between Naples and Miami, but I'm wondering what else to expect -- like traffic and road conditions, that sort of thing. Is there anything else I should be aware of or look out for?

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Lots of peg scrapin... sharp twisties, incline/declines boardering on the 15% grade, blind corners... :lol:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wehr-me said:
Lots of peg scrapin... sharp twisties, incline/declines boardering on the 15% grade, blind corners... :lol:
"Twisties"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term. I'm in northeast Georgia.

:wink:

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
We've had quite a few fires along the interstates during the last several spring seasons. Can't help much with Miami, and every time I go there it's a parking lot.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Psyc0 said:
We've had quite a few fires along the interstates during the last several spring seasons. Can't help much with Miami, and every time I go there it's a parking lot.
The plan is to take US41 to 997, turn right, and take that down to US1. Not sure how much of Miami I'll be stuck in -- but then, I've never been there before.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When you do hit the Keys .... do not speed, especially through Deer Key.

It is a beautiful ride once you hit the Keys (I thought so any way). Just do watch your speed limit.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Watch out for Key Deer! One of my brothers hit one and really messed up
his Fat Boy.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
EXPECT TO BE AMAZED

IT IS AN INCREDABLE SIGHT

LOTS OF STRAIGHT ROADS OVER LONG BRIDGES-WITH THE GULF ON ONE SIDE AND THE ATLANTIC ON THE OTHER

IT'S TRULY A WONDER OF THE WORLD

STOP AT ROBBIES AND FEED THE TARPON,KEY WEST IS NUTS-MAKE SURE YOU CATCH THE SUNSET BEHIND HOGBREATHS

YOU WILL LOVE IT

DOC

·
Registered
590 Posts
... yep ... what Doc said ... been years since I got down there ... but you'll love it ...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We did this trip in December of 07 .
Gas up and Left Cape Coral and headed over to Immokalee on 82. Then south on 29 to 41 south to 997 to 1 to Key Largo Holiday Inn
Then out to Key West the next day. some constuction but not bad, wind was only concern out on the bridges. Gas is not a issue 200 miles from Cape Coral to Key Largo. Gas not as much a issue as you would think.

When returning to Cape Coral we took 41 all the way shoulda went back up 29 to 82 / traffic on 41 is brutal.

Along the way we ........
Stopped at the smallest Post Office in Ochopee about 5 miles east
the 29 / 41 intersection. (gas here too) 3 miles east of the post office
is H. P. Williams roadside park on the north side of 41. Great place to see gators. When you enter the indian resevation DO THE SPEED LIMIT. I did 5 under and they followed me all the way thru. Speed trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Marathon island right before you start across the 7 mile bridge
theres a pull off that gives ya a great view of the bridge. In fact I think we stopped at all the pull offs.

karen627 said:
I'm heading to Cape Coral, Florida next month, then crossing Florida on US 41, spending the first night in Key Largo, then going from Key Largo to Key West. (I did a search and found Krislord was planning the exact same ride a couple of years ago, but I didn't see any follow up on how it went.)

I'm guessing that there won't be a whole lot of gas stations between Naples and Miami, but I'm wondering what else to expect -- like traffic and road conditions, that sort of thing. Is there anything else I should be aware of or look out for?

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Water everywhere you look.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
krgs2k said:
Watch out for Key Deer! One of my brothers hit one and really messed up his Fat Boy.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm kind of hoping to see some Key Deer -- I just don't want to see them that close. (Sorry about your brother's bike -- I hope he came out of it okay.)

krislord said:
Gas up and Left Cape Coral and headed over to Immokalee on 82. Then south on 29 to 41 south to 997 to 1 to Key Largo Holiday Inn

When returning to Cape Coral we took 41 all the way shoulda went back up 29 to 82 / traffic on 41 is brutal.
[/quote]

Thanks! It hadn't occurred to me to take 82 to 29. I was going to get on 41 in Ft. Myers and head south, and just deal with the traffic from Naples to Cape Coral. This sounds much better. :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Karen, this is an awesome road trip! I just went trough the keys with my family a few weeks ago (by car though).
Like the others said, watch your speed, and for little deer in the Pine Key area.
One place that I would recommend stopping at that if you have time is Bahia Honda State Park www.bahiahondapark.com. It's amazing how much sea life we were able to see just wading along the beaches!

Have a safe trip and enjoy! :D

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Wize-azz said:
Karen, this is an awesome road trip! I just went trough the keys with my family a few weeks ago (by car though).
Like the others said, watch your speed, and for little deer in the Pine Key area.
One place that I would recommend stopping at that if you have time is Bahia Honda State Park www.bahiahondapark.com. It's amazing how much sea life we were able to see just wading along the beaches!

Have a safe trip and enjoy! :D

great choice-great beach

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
When are you headed down? We're leaving for Islamorada on 5/3! Staying until 5/11.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did this ride in Dec. 07

We rode from Tampa to Key West in Dec. 07. IF you go from west to east on hwy 41, you must stop at the Iron Rhino Saloon (ask for a little beer and it's your first time there). This is truly a biker bar. Heading east on hwy 41 you won't see many alligators, but stop at the visitor center in the middle. Heading west on hwy 41 was AWESOME! Ride the white line and you'll see hundreds of gators of all sizes! We did an airboat ride at Everglades Safari about 8 miles west of Miami. It has a educational show and zoo exhibit to see after the ride. Well worth it. Coupons on their website.
It takes a long time to get to Key West. It's 90+ miles to Key West, but takes a good 2 1/2 hours. There are plenty of places to stop for gas in the Keys, but plan ahead before getting on hwy 41. The indian reservation has speed traps in a Dodge Charger.
In the keys, stop at the No Name Bar (unique place) in Big Pine Key. You might see some Key Deer in the evening. They don't come out during the day, it's too hot.
Key West is very busy, tough to find a place to park, even for a bike!
Any questions, feel free to email me. I can send pics too.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Our group goes every year, and this will be our 6th trip. One of the best and cheapest thrills is feeding the Tarpon At Robbie's Marina in Islamaroda. It's on the right, just as you cross the bridge into Islamaroda.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts