Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving a lot of consideration to a ride around the Great Lakes this fall, but once I started poking around on the map, I was reminded of the grid-like layout of the roads in the Midwest. Scroll down just a bit to West Virginia, and you'd be hard pressed to find a straight road anywhere aside from the slab.

So my interest has quickly changed to heading down to all of those squiggly roads in WV. Finding good routes looks like the easy part. Has anyone spent a fair amount of time in the area and could recommend some places (towns) to stay and those to avoid?

·
Registered
19,751 Posts
Wva is a wonderful place to visit and to ride. The US highways are generally your best bet in terms of smooth pavement, but many of the state highways are just as good. I've stayed in towns all over the state and never had a bad experience.

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Registered
19,751 Posts
Reactions: the_snake1201

·
Super Moderator
21,375 Posts
spent a week in wv following a rally we had in gettysburg a few years ago...great riding and one of the things I learned was to take advantage to top off when you pass a gas station...not a problem with what you ride but for what I was riding I quickly learned not to take any chances. If you go in sept, save a day to take a rafting trip on the gauley river. Lots of good outfitters and made for a great addition to my weeks stay in wv.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Lewisburg is a good spot to base out of.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
BearBait, Beezer, Free2BeMe and I spent a week riding in W Va, based out of Elkins.

Elkins is big enough to have a good selection of food and services, yet good riding is close by.

Before Beezer suggested Elkins, I had looked at basing in Marlinton. Nice medium-sized town surrounded by squiggly roads.

Check the 'web for Pocahontas County. Their Chamber of Commerce will send you a free map with suggestions of numerous ride routes.

·
Administrator
29,645 Posts
I was giving a lot of consideration to a ride around the Great Lakes this fall, but once I started poking around on the map, I was reminded of the grid-like layout of the roads in the Midwest. Scroll down just a bit to West Virginia, and you'd be hard pressed to find a straight road anywhere aside from the slab.

So my interest has quickly changed to heading down to all of those squiggly roads in WV. Finding good routes looks like the easy part. Has anyone spent a fair amount of time in the area and could recommend some places (towns) to stay and those to avoid?
The best WV has to offer has no places to stay or eat. Pack a lunch. route 16 from Gauley Bridge to the River North is the best motorcycle road in the eastern US... and maybe all the US if you just consider the riding. Ride there and then to Fly. Take the ferry to Ohio and ride 800 and the triple Nick. I have routes up to Zanesville, then back down the triple nickel to WV again. Pick the right dates and I’ll ride with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,645 Posts
The best WV has to offer has no places to stay or eat. Pack a lunch. route 16 from Gauley Bridge to the River North is the best motorcycle road in the eastern US... and maybe all the US if you just consider the riding. Ride there and then to Fly. Take the ferry to Ohio and ride 800 and the triple Nick. I have routes up to Zanesville, then back down the triple nickel to WV again. Pick the right dates and I’ll ride with you.

And the slab is not straight in WV. Up mountain 70 mph sweepers in the rain next to tractor trailers... some serious fun.

·
Registered
786 Posts

The New River Bridge is a must-see. Be sure to take the road that winds down the canyon from the bridge to the river.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts