Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a trip up to Acadia National Park, and would like to ride the coastline as much as possible on the way up, heading inland on the way back.

Do I want to stick with Route 1, or should I venture down other roads that get me closer to the water? I don't mind taking longer for good scenery, but I don't want to if it means backtracking every time I get to the shore.

Suggestions? Witty, sarcastic comments?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you take rt 1 from Kittery...expect slow moving traffic for a good part of the way to portland ...personally if I were heading to Arcadia I would take 95 to 295 and once you pass Portland, then I would jump on rt 1...
Yeah, I wouldn't jump on it until I was further north. Just wondering if it's worth venturing down south of Rte 1 along the way once I've reached that area.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
There really isn't any closer coastal route than RT1. Maine has a lot of fingers (hence the Down East term) that are great to explore, but will require backtracking. Definitely stop in Portland and explore their waterfront. It's developed into quite a nice place.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There really isn't any closer coastal route than RT1. Maine has a lot of fingers (hence the Down East term) that are great to explore, but will require backtracking.
That's what I was really curious about...exploring those "fingers". It looks like you can continue north on some fingers, while others are dead ends.

·
Super Moderator
20,108 Posts
Barb & I did one of those finger explores with pete & Vicky last year...what I remember was not really seeing any of the water on either side...ours lead into a dead end where we stopped for lunch...was kind of disappointed that the water views weren't really visible...sure not all of them are like that tho...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Want company?

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
you can get anything you want at alices restaurant. or the VooDoo lounge!

·
Super Moderator
56,961 Posts
I would but she still wants to ride. I'm so busy it's a shame to let it sit and depreciate. I pay dollars per mile per year anymore.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
I would but she still wants to ride. I'm so busy it's a shame to let it sit and depreciate. I pay dollars per mile per year anymore.
Tell me about it. This dirty four letter word "work" sucks.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
My next "work" trip has me flying to a different state every day...can't even unpack a bag.

Work 7-5, get to the airport by 6:00pm and fly to another state, sleep, repeat.

Uuuugh!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts