Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed the Operators Test with no problems today. I practiced a lot and it helped. I was only one of 3 people that passed today out of 12 people. It was about 32 degrees this morning and it was freezing, but it was worth it, cuz my permit was going to expire in a week. I was the only one who passed the cone weave and i had the second biggest bike. Man i feel awesome some now. What a relief. I was so nervous this morning.

·
Registered
394 Posts
adambomb said:
I passed the Operators Test with no problems today. I practiced a lot and it helped. I was only one of 3 people that passed today out of 12 people. It was about 32 degrees this morning and it was freezing, but it was worth it, cuz my permit was going to expire in a week. I was the only one who passed the cone weave and i had the second biggest bike. Man i feel awesome some now. What a relief. I was so nervous this morning.
Wow.. in Arkansas they have you drive down the road, turn around and come back. If you fail, that means you wouldn't last 10minutes on the road. If you pass, it just means you will proably last at least 10 minutes. :lol:

Oh, and congrats!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
cougar28 said:
:lol: :lol: and the sad part it's the truth!!
I just find our test rediculous. I drove my bike through lunch hour traffic and interstate to get the testing place. I still had to drive down one side of the parking lot and back up the otherside. :lol:

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Congrats on PASSING!!!!

Did they KNOW you rode there?

Here in IOWA, if you have your permit, you can ride to the DOT on the bike test IF you have a licensed driver with you on another bike. If not, then you have to TRAILER your ride there, and then take the final license test.

If you ride alone to the test site with only your permit, and they KNOW it....you fail. period. The IA DOT is not lenient w/ riders. They make you do the whole thing as listed in the back of the book...weaves, sudden stops w/in a certain length goind 30mph, figure 8 in a 20' box :shock: which i flunked even on the rebel 250 at the MSF..lol.

I rode across the street on the last day of the my MSF course with my passing certificate in hand and took the written test. I didn't have to test AT the D.O.T, becuase I passed the on-the-bike test at the MSF course, and took that little piece of paper across the street w/me and took the 30 question written test.

Thats is why i paid the $ to take the MSF (well that, and the knowledge, and the insurance discount) cuz I could take the on the bike test on one of their little honda rebel 250's instead of my bigger bike and get certified...then take the written at the DOT. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
congrats. Dunno about your state but I just had to take the MSF saftey course and pass then go get the permit. never rode a shift bike till then learned alot and passed too.

Now in florida bikers will have to take the saftey course to get the permit.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/motorcycle-license.php

·
Registered
590 Posts
CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS ...

... now go find a big parking lot and practice all those manuvers on your big bike ...

... man I miss the "good old days" ... no training ... no extra permits or endorsements ... if you had a driver's license and were crazy enough to ride a bike they let you ... in some states I lived in you could get a motorcycle permit at 14 ... BEFORE you were 16 and got your driver's license ... then along came the insurance companies and here we are today ...

... in NC you have to do the whole thing ... you can get a learners permit for one year which is good for just you (no passengers) and within that year you have to pass the written and the road test (stop-start, slow ride, figure eight, cones, etc.) ... I caned the written the first time but cruised (pun) right through the road test (had about 4,000 miles on the Volusia by then and that helped a TON) ...

... and they do not play if you get popped for not following the rules (unless you talk real nice and work for another agency ... which saved my bacon and my bike) ...

... and we have a helmet law with no exclusions ...

... what "they" really need to do is include motorcycle training in Driver's Education ... make it so if you want to drive a car you have to ride a bike ... maybe then cagers would look for us ...

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Congratulations!

Washington law for MC permits if you care:

RCW 46.20.510
Instruction permit — Fee.

(1) Motorcycle instruction permit. A person holding a valid driver's license who wishes to learn to ride a motorcycle may apply for a motorcycle instruction permit. The department may issue a motorcycle instruction permit after the applicant has successfully passed all parts of the motorcycle examination other than the driving test. The director shall collect a fee of fifteen dollars for the motorcycle instruction permit or renewal, and deposit the fee in the motorcycle safety education account of the highway safety fund.

(2) Effect of motorcycle instruction permit. A person holding a motorcycle instruction permit may drive a motorcycle upon the public highways if the person has immediate possession of the permit and a valid driver's license. An individual with a motorcyclist's instruction permit may not carry passengers and may not operate a motorcycle during the hours of darkness.

(3) Term of motorcycle instruction permit. A motorcycle instruction permit is valid for ninety days from the date of issue.

(a) The department may issue one additional ninety-day permit.

(b) The department may issue a third motorcycle instruction permit if it finds after an investigation that the permittee is diligently seeking to improve driving proficiency.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Colleen, PA was just as fussy when I got my MC license 27 years ago. Have their own course with everything that is required. TN's a joke.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
More congrats from Connecticut. The test here is both written (50 questions) and a battery of driving maneuvers you have to pass. You only get a certificate afterwards that you passed the MSF course, with which you have to head to DMV and do yet another PC-based test, 12 out of 16 questions must be correct (none of the questions asked were discussed in the course!!). You are also shelling out another $50 after you pass that, before you get the "M" endorsement on the back of your license. That DMV part is not applicable just over the border in Mass.

Corrupticut will pass on no chance to collect from you, but our roads are in pretty good shape, so I don't mind :lol:

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Here in DE, if you pass the MSF course, you can go get your endorsement without any further testing.

If you do it on your own, it's a written test, then you get a permit, and you can come back in 10 days to do the road test. That test is similar to the MSF skills test, but you do it on your own bike, not a 125cc bike you use at the MSF class.

I took the written test and got my permit, rode local for a month while I waited for my MSF class to open up. I don't think I would have passed the DMV test on the 750 we had at the time without taking the MSF class. I learned way too much from that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RevBill said:
CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS ...

... now go find a big parking lot and practice all those manuvers on your big bike ...

... man I miss the "good old days" ... no training ... no extra permits or endorsements ... if you had a driver's license and were crazy enough to ride a bike they let you ... in some states I lived in you could get a motorcycle permit at 14 ... BEFORE you were 16 and got your driver's license ... then along came the insurance companies and here we are today ...

... in NC you have to do the whole thing ... you can get a learners permit for one year which is good for just you (no passengers) and within that year you have to pass the written and the road test (stop-start, slow ride, figure eight, cones, etc.) ... I caned the written the first time but cruised (pun) right through the road test (had about 4,000 miles on the Volusia by then and that helped a TON) ...

... and they do not play if you get popped for not following the rules (unless you talk real nice and work for another agency ... which saved my bacon and my bike) ...

... and we have a helmet law with no exclusions ...

... what "they" really need to do is include motorcycle training in Driver's Education ... make it so if you want to drive a car you have to ride a bike ... maybe then cagers would look for us ...
I did do the test on my bike. I got the measurments of the test site and drew a test in the parking lot accross from my house. I practiced about 3-4 times for about a half an hour each time. I had the second biggest bike there and passed every test. Everyone was like good job, how the hell did you do it? PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Yeah, in MN, they let you drive to the test site. Cuz on a permit here, you can ride by yourself if you have a helmet on and no passengers, and you cant ride on the freeway.
I would have liked to stay at the test to see how the guy with the harley softtail did. But it was too freaking cold. about 30 degrees. But everyone else kept failing and i was like I cant stay and watch this.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS ON PASSING!!! In a prior thread you said you plan to pass without MSF, and you did it. I guess now you do not plan to go to MSF, so be very careful on the road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congrats

congrats on passing your test.. Hey wehrd1 did IA change there laws when I took My test there several years ago if you took it on a 500 cc or less you were restricted to 500 cc's or less if you took it on a 1000 cc bike you could only ride up to the cc's you took it on ie if you took it on a 750 your license said up to 750 cc...

·
Registered
590 Posts
... lol ... a living testiment to "practice may not make you perfect, but it will get you past the test" ...

Congrats again ... that test is "extra fun" on our cruisers rather than a sport bike or something with less rake ...

... I still go out every so often and find a big parking lot and go through the drills ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts