Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Not really that severe. More of a first world problem lol. I have posted on here recently on my acquisition of a sweet mustang seat with the back rest. I've made several 100 mile runs and a couple 200 mile runs on it and couldn't be happier. My butt and back can now go all day long with no pain. These 200 mile runs have brought a new comfort issue to my attention. We have made this same run twice now and about an hour and a half into it, my left shoulder and elbow start to get sore. I'm wondering if some taller bars or risers would help. Any of you have a similar experience and solved it? I'm 6'1 and about 270. 05 c50

·
Super Moderator
26,950 Posts
I had a similar issue with my C50. I would return from a long ride and have pain between my shoulders in my back. I put a set of pull-back risers on the bike and it resolved the issue for me. I want to say they were 3" up and 2" back.

Reactions: Duffy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with geezer and whiskey. I had the same issue when I first got mine. I worked it by getting taller bars with more pull back, because I wanted to replace the bars anyway. If your just looking for relief, pullback risers are a simple swap that's about a 30 minute job.

Reactions: Duffy

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know how old you are, but I had similar problems that turned out to be related to degenerative disc disease (It's not really a disease, it's more age related).

For what it's worth:
In my case, I ended up in physical therapy. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but the therapist told me I should look into risers. She said it's been known to help.

Also for what it's worth:
Now I'm not one of those nutty hypochondriacs who tell people they may have tuberculosis because they coughed once 🤪, but you might want to look into a chiropractor to see if that helps, and maybe have it looked into just for giggles by your family doctor, too. It's just an ounce of prevention. There's no cure for degenerative disc disease but if you are developing it, you can learn how to deal with it to help avoid flare-ups...and I'm here to tell you, they can become frikkin' nasty. I'm good now, but that's only because I've been taught which movements to avoid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1. I don't know how old you are, but I had similar problems that turned out to be related to degenerative disc disease (It's not really a disease, it's more age related).

For what it's worth:
    In my case, I ended up in physical therapy. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but the therapist told me I should look into risers. She said it's been known to help.

Also for what it's worth:
    Now I'm not one of those nutty hypochondriacs who tell people they may have tuberculosis because they coughed once 🤪, but you might want to look into a chiropractor to see if that helps, and maybe have it looked into just for giggles by your family doctor, too. It's just an ounce of prevention. There's no cure for degenerative disc disease but if you are developing it, you can learn how to deal with it to help avoid flare-ups...and I'm here to tell you, they can become frikkin' nasty. I'm good now, but that's only because I've been taught which movements to avoid.
    I barely have discs in my lower back. That was about 3 years ago when I went to a chiropractor. My lower back is garbage. Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. So risers or some apes. Not sure which route I want to go. Some apes would look pretty nice but risers are so cheap and easy. Just put some 10" mini apes on my sons shadow last weekend. What a PIA!! no external adjustment on the cables. Had to pull the seat, tank and breather to get to the carb for some cable slack at the grip. The boulevard doesnt look so bad. How tall a set can I get without having to buy longer cables?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar issue with my C50. I would return from a long ride and have pain between my shoulders in my back. I put a set of pull-back risers on the bike and it resolved the issue for me. I want to say they were 3" up and 2" back.
I dont think I want the bars any closer to me. As is, I have a pretty good bend in my elbows. I'm thinking they just need to go up.

·
Super Moderator
26,950 Posts
I dont think I want the bars any closer to me. As is, I have a pretty good bend in my elbows. I'm thinking they just need to go up.
It's possible. The real point is that moving the bars will probably help with your shoulder. Sit on the bike, close your eyes, and reach out to grab the bars. You'll probably miss them, but wherever your hands end up should be about where they should be.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I would definitely go with the riser/pullback option. First, because it's the easiest and cheapest solution to start with. Second, going with apes will probably require you to get longer cables, so that is more complex and expensive.

I had the same issue when I first got my Volusia. Found that I was "reaching" for the bars. I put on a set of Baron 4" rise, 1" pullback risers and everything was sweet. (FYI: 4" riders sound high, but understand that OEM mounts are actually 2" risers).

Good luck and ride like you stole it!

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. Not really that severe. More of a first world problem lol. I have posted on here recently on my acquisition of a sweet mustang seat with the back rest. I've made several 100 mile runs and a couple 200 mile runs on it and couldn't be happier. My butt and back can now go all day long with no pain. These 200 mile runs have brought a new comfort issue to my attention. We have made this same run twice now and about an hour and a half into it, my left shoulder and elbow start to get sore. I'm wondering if some taller bars or risers would help. Any of you have a similar experience and solved it? I'm 6'1 and about 270. 05 c50
had same prob. with my 09 , put 2” risers on. No issues for 10 yrs now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's possible. The real point is that moving the bars will probably help with your shoulder. Sit on the bike, close your eyes, and reach out to grab the bars. You'll probably miss them, but wherever your hands end up should be about where they should be.
Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts