Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened. Went down because a cager ran a stop sign. My first time down! Not bad for being almost 50 years old. Cracked ribs and a bruised hip... But I am more worried about my bike.

it could've been a lot worse... I bent the handlebars, broke a mirror, and destroyed the right side saddlebag. The tank has two small dents in it and the intake cover is scratched.

The insurance company needs an estimate from someplace in San Antonio. Does anyone have any recommendations for reputable place?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Is there not a Suzuki dealership in San Antonio? They'll probably give you the highest repair bill, based on "replacement" of damaged items, and not "refurbishment".

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Sorry, can't help with recommendations but glad you are somewhat OK. Cracked ribs sounds painful, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Best luck getting the bike back in shape!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Was the bike towed from the scene? Generally the dealer is the best place for a collision estimate. My bike was totaled with not much more damage than your listing here. It adds up quick with labor. When the bike is only worth $3-4k, a minor wreck can be total loss. Hope the other vehicle has insurance, its the law... but you never know. Hope your healing goes well. Update us when possible.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
civil case

get a lawyer and get ready to go for a civil case if they don't cover your injuries and full repair of your bike. You can go to recovery what their insurance does not cover.:crying:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am about to go through this, but I managed to come out with so much as a bruise. I hope you heal up OK. So far the other guy's insurance company has cooperated (probably due to the guy being placed entirely at fault including his admittance to screwing up) but if my bike is not 100% factory when I am done, it will be sue time. I'd have a lawyer on stand-by. Funny how people screw up and then feel they have a right to not pay for the damages they cause, even if they are to a person!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Your insurance company should make you and your bike whole. Then, they get to sue the other guys insurance to get their money back. They should be your advocate.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yikes!!! Sorry you are hurt. I've done the broken ribs already so I really do know how you feel. I agree, your insurance company should be handling all of this. In this area the insurance guy seeks out the vehicle and does the repair estimate on site... and it's usually pretty generous. Then they battle the other drivers insurance for what they should be covering- in your case, the entire bill. That would apply to your medical bills as well. Wishing you speedy healing of yourself and your ride!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your insurance company should make you and your bike whole. Then, they get to sue the other guys insurance to get their money back. They should be your advocate.
My company offered to cover my bike already. I am going to his company first. If they agree to a factory condition bike like I had, no issues. If they do not, then my company will handle it for me.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My company offered to cover my bike already. I am going to his company first. If they agree to a factory condition bike like I had, no issues. If they do not, then my company will handle it for me.
Wel, your insurance company already knows you've had an accident, so if your not wanting to file a claim with them, it's too late. I would take what they offer if its reasonable. The other guys insurance company is not going to hand you a deal without dragging it out, so what's your time worth? A civil claim is always available no matter if your ins. has paid you for your loss. Just my 2 cents...

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
The insurance company needs an estimate from someplace in San Antonio. Does anyone have any recommendations for reputable place?
Glad you're still vertical. Tomorrow you will feel different. Very important, did you visit a doctor?

First when you say "The insurance company" , Who's insurance company?

Do you have full coverage? Do you have "uninsured motorist" clause?

The other party's insurance does not need to be giving you instructions other than where to sign your check.

I did not stay in a holiday inn express last night, but my wife sold personal lines insurance for 17 years. I can spale the word.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Rvcycleguy is correct that your insurer should be your advocate. Your coverage should have a specified limit of liability--bodily injury and property damage. The claim goes to your insurer for up to those limits. Your insurer will then subrogate and go after the other driver's insurer. Same for any meds covered by your health insurer. Any bodily injury or property damage not covered by your insurer will need to be taken up directly against the other driver's insurer--if the bills get that high. At that point, you should consider an attorney. Be careful though. You indicated you cracked some ribs and bruised a hip. A plaintiff's attorney will see a potentially high recovery, but if working on a contingency fee, s/he will take at least 30% if a settlement is reached prior to filing a lawsuit; likely at least 35% of anything recovered if a petition for damages is filed; 40% if it goes to trial; and 50% if there is an appeal. I have no way of doing a quantum study for your state, but in Louisiana many courts dole out $2300 per month for pain and suffering as long as you are treating--which tends to make plaintiff's attorneys coax clients into unnecessary treatment. By the time the statute of limitations (in LA "prescription") of 12 months is about to be up, they decide it's time to file suit. Your the one in pain but you get what is left over after 35% is taken from 12 times $2300. You also need to worry about meds so settlement becomes a pain as insurers get pissed when treatment is dragged out just to get the easily increased pain and suffering up prior to filing suit. In other words, don't let someone take a big chunk of what you deserve if you need to sue. Shop around and it may be better to pay someone an hourly rate for your issue depending on how bad you really are injured and what your financial capabilities are. Just a long winded food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
20,463 Posts
sorry about your accident...hope your healing goes well and you don't encounter too much bs trying to get the bike repaired. Personally I'd let my insurance company handle the repair...thats why one pays premiums...not having to deal with all the frustration of needing to get repaired what you weren't responsible for in the first place...his insurance company may do all they can to be cooperative and it could be smooth sailing then again they could just drag there feet and the frustration and stress from it all never gets figured into the equation.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Alamo Cycleplex - the hghest place on the planet.
11900 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78230
Phone: 210-696-2000 Fax: 210-696-3073

Then to get it fixed,, take it to
Yasmien's paint and body
7180 Grissom Road San Antonio, TX
210 684 1075

Tell him Jim Van Nest sent you [ get a discount that way]:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Often those little injuries that seem to heal up completely will cause you problems years later. So don't be too shy about taking some pain and suffering compensation. On the other hand many lawyers make a living off the pain and suffering of accident victims often imagined injuries I know when I had an accident I consulted with a lawyer and he said he would only take the case if I were injured. I said I wasn't and he said he had a doctor who could prove I was injured. I told him it wasn't the kind of thing I could do and walked out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update...I realized after reading a few replies that I had left out a few crucial details.

I was on my way to work. It was early, and totally dark.

The driver that blew a stop sign and passed in front of me just continued on...I have no vehicle description or anything. All I had time to do was react.

My bike didn't make contact with his vehicle at all. I ended up in a field, with the bike pointed the wrong way...the tailpipe was full of grass and dirt.

My insurance company had the bike towed to Kent Powersports - a local dealer near me -yesterday.

More later...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts