Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As reported on the main board I rode down to Deals Gap and Maggie Valley this past weekend. I wanted to share a few of the pics and share a few roads that I found were real gems.
The trip from Dayton to Knoxville was great till I hit the loop around Knoxville and I got this flat.

I was helped out of town the next morning by this guy "Misunderstood" Dave from this Volusia Riders forum. Great guy!!!! He brought a jack over to the hotel and we removed the wheel. He then took me to the dealer and waited with me while the tire was put on then helped me get it back on the bike. I was on my way pretty quickly considering.

I was back on the road by 11:00 that morning and headed for Deals Gap via Sweetwater Tenn.
I didn't get any pics this time of the Dragon but I will say that as I entered the North end of the Dragon there were signs warning of smoke from the forest fire caused by the crashed sport bike Wednesday. Smoke hung in the air and it seemed fitting somehow being on the Dragon. I rode into Deals Gap and had a quick burger.
After a short break I headed South on 28 past Fantana Dam.
Just before the Dam....

From there on down to Rt 19 and East to Maggie Valley where I checked into the Microtel and dumped some gear. I then chose a ride down Rt 276 from Maggie Valley/ Waynesville. This road heads South and crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway and continues on South. Rt 276 climbs and twists with moderate curves for 20 miles or so then begins the climb to the BRP. The road gets slower up there but the road is in good condition. From the BRP the descent on the other side is nice also. It continues on in a forest setting for what seemed like 20 minutes or so. I enjoyed this road and considered it a great warm up for what was tro come. I stopped and enjoyed afew pics taken at a stream rambling along this section of 276 S of the BRP.

I then returned to the top of the BRP and headed North loooking for the famed Rt 151 known as the Devil's Drop. It was only 10 miles or so. But I stopped on the BRP to snap a few pics of the road there, I'm always amazed at how little there is between rider and going over the edge.

I found the Rt 151 shortly after and road one of the most wicked roads I've ever been on. Its not a well traveled road from the looks of it and its understandable why. In some location the road banks weirdly and twists back on itself while descending sharply in stretches. The pavement I found as descent but there were some stretches like the Dragon with no shoulder for that cushion of safety.

If you look closely you'll see down below the road coming back under you.

Vanity shot.....

To be continued..... the road found by accident that I will ride any time I'm in the area. .............

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
That is awesome, I will be going to Gatlinburg in May. looking forward to riding some of those roads. Glad you played safe. You don't get too be an old biker any other way.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
And I could have went oh well had to stay home and got wife a new bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ah yes beautiful and to think i'm lucky enough to live here and ride these roads all the time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts