Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I am getting antsy and want to move. I noticed this article about seeing all the lighthouses in Rhode Island and I though it would be a nice trip. I used CALIMOTO to make the route and hopefully biker friendly. But looking at the beginning, I might think about modifying it to the highway a bit (295 south to 95 south to 14) at the beginning to get down to Point Judith. I have been on most of these roads but not all at once and I hope to get out and do it once or twice before the trip.

Here are the addresses:
Meet at the Welcome Rest Center on I-295 North bound side in Lincoln Rhode Island. KSU at 09:30 AM
1460 Ocean Rd, Narragansett, RI 02882, USA
Beavertail Rd, Jamestown, RI 02835, USA
Newport Harbor Lighthouse, Newport, RI 02840, USA
800-870 Ocean Ave, Newport, RI 02840, USA
82 East Main Road Middletown, RI for Becky's BBQ
Riverside, RI 02915, USA

Total ride with stops I am estimating will take 6 to 7 hours? If it was a straight ride it should take between 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Any one interested?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is Becky's open or should we pack a lunch just in case...
Yes, I will call them in the morning and try to give them a number of people coming. I am hoping we can go easy on them and say something like 15 pulled pork sandwiches and tell them we will be there around 1 PM or so.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
As of now I'm in. I would suggest a slight route change. If you take 95S to Rt4 S to 102 to Rt 1A. and then Ocean Rd right to the lighthouse. This brings you through Wickford (nice New England Oceanside town) and all along the coast, beaches, mansions, nice views of the Jamestown and Newport Bridges, etc. and brings you right to the light house. You will also pass several ice cream shops, and some famous RI restaurants like Iggy's Doughboys and Aunt Carrie's Restaurant (opened in 1920 and the originator of the clamcake)-Check it out you may like it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of now I'm in. I would suggest a slight route change. If you take 95S to Rt4 S to 102 to Rt 1A. and then Ocean Rd right to the lighthouse. This brings you through Wickford (nice New England Oceanside town) and all along the coast, beaches, mansions, nice views of the Jamestown and Newport Bridges, etc. and brings you right to the light house. You will also pass several ice cream shops, and some famous RI restaurants like Iggy's Doughboys and Aunt Carrie's Restaurant (opened in 1920 and the originator of the clamcake)-Check it out you may like it.
Love the idea, love Iggy's might be a little early in the morning for clam cakes and ice cream. But this is what I am talking about and modifying the ride a bit. That is what I was thinking of going down 295, 95 … I am thinking about flying the route tomorrow to get it down. Not really stopping anywhere but to get my bearings.

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
20,442 Posts
have had some good memories at iggys...years ago group ride stopping at iggys for lunch in Pt Judith...miss you Carlos...they use to give you a small bag of doughboys with any order...quick and easy way for a business to get customers addicted to one of their offerings...remember another lunch shared at the same venue with Carl years later and not that long ago meeting Pete and Carl at the Iggys in Wickford to join Barb and I for our first trip to that branch...remember lots of traffic going thru Wickford...nice coastal town. Looking forward to this ride...no one else huh?...newbies?....wheres the snake?....shame Kurts out west....still early.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi all,

Paula and I took the route on Saturday, it was a nice day to ride. Information I have for you. Riding down 295 south is okay until you get near the end. They are making the road bigger and resurfacing the highway. it is doable, but if someone has a different route or use what waze gives us, is another option.
Ride down to Point Judith is nice and uneventful. I went down the main road straight to the lighthouse. The parking there is closed. so I just pulled over to the side of the road for a couple of minutes to stretch and let Paula off and walk around and see the water.

The ride from Point Judith to Jamestown lighthouse, was a great! We traveled up the east side of Point Judith and hugged the coast until we went over the bridge. There is mainly one road down the island and back. When you ride it down it only goes to one place, the lighthouse. It was very busy and cars were parked everywhere. We found a decent parking space close to the lighthouse and they had porta pottys that Paula said was the cleanest ones she has seen ever. That says a lot.

From Jamestown to Newport you have to go over a very large (high) bridge that is a toll and can be windy. As you drive over the bridge and look down to the right, you will see Goat Island. Yeah, that is all I got to say about that... I would suggest that we skirt Thames St. in Newport and go to Fort Adams.

At this point in time, we were starting to get hungry and called from Fort Adams and put in an order with Becky's BBQ in Middletown, RI.

We could have road around the shore road and watched the water for a bit. But we went straight to the restaurant. Food was good and ready when we got there.

They only allowed two people in the store at a time. We ate outside and just hung out for a bit.
We finished lunch around 2:30 PM and got back on the road. After talking to my passenger we decided to start our ride home. It was a nice ride up to 24 North, 195 West and then bush wacked through the backroads in Swansea to home.
We left our house around 11:00 AM and passed the visitor center on 295 around 11:30 AM. Our total miles was 161. Riding the route, I remember that this was very similar to the ride that was run by Carlos almost 10 years ago???

Hopefully, it wet some appetites to ride and I hope we have good weather and smooth roads.

·
Super Moderator
20,442 Posts
looks and sounds like it will be a nice ride Carl...looking forward to it...I remember that bridge too...first time I went over it when I first started riding I thought I was going to get blown off the bridge...first time I had experienced riding on a bridge on a windy day...learning experience everyone should experience at least once. Think I'll secure a cinder block to my passenger seat just to be sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts