Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I just wish that I could do something like that when I grow up.
Same here, Fred. <Sigh>

Here's the latest from Rich:

"Sunday's trip from key Largo to our respective homes went very well. Not much traffic so we made very good time.

"At the service center, where we stopped for gas after 190 miles of travel, two very lovely ladies who spoke no English, were standing beside my bike and made it clear they would like to sit on it to have their pictures taken. Of course, I said OK. They each took the others picture on the bike and thanked me and went on their way.

"Monday, I got to shoot my nephew's AR-15 and his 40 cal. semi auto Luger hand gun. Boy, they are nice weapons. The rest of the day, I checked the bike out to make sure it was ready for the trip back home, packed all my winter clothing back on the bike, checked the weather at each of my stops on the return trip looking for a window to do my traveling and made reservations at two motels. My sister did my laundry so I could start out with clean clothing.

"Tonight I am in Charleston, South Carolina. In the morning I will head out for Virginia Beach. Each time I stopped today, I had to put more clothing on because the temperature was dropping as I traveled North. I am afraid I am going to freeze my fanny off by the time I get home. I got used to those 80 to 90 degree temps.

"It looks like I may encounter some thunder showers in the morning but things look good for Virginia Beach.

"If all goes well, I should arrive home Friday, March 27.

"My best to all,

"Rich"

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here's the latest update:

Tonight, I am spending my last night on the road in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The trip from Charleston,South Carolina. took ten hours. I was in two rush hours. The weather was good so I have no complaints. I put the liners in both my mesh riding jacket and pants so I was not cold.

I was going to economize on my dinner this evening but being this is my last night on the road and I spotted a steak house next door, I decided to treat myself to a prime rib dinner.

Tomorrow, I will head to my daughter's home in PA. Looks like I will encounter some rain when I get there. Oh well, rain happens. I might get rain when I head for home on Friday too.

Now, I am going to get to bed. I am tired.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
LOL! I forgot to ask him that question, Beez.

He has been sending his trip updates by email only. To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been visiting the site to check on this thread, although he knows about and approved its existence.

Please send him some good vibes. He's getting closer to home, where the traffic can be bad. I just want him to get back safely.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Just received this note from Rich.

I am at my daughter's house safe and sound. I am enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee.

It took six hours to make the trip from Virginia Beach to PA. Rain the last 1/3 of the trip. Not a downpour but just enough to really slop things up and make the visibility very poor. I could not see through the windshield for the last part of the trip and had to look over it to see the road. Good thing I have it set up perfectly for me. Both the bike and my rain gear are covered in road dirt and mud.

Dr. Pepper is in my daughter's garage out of the weather. Soon after I arrived, I went into the garage to get something off the bike and saw how awfully dirty the Dr. looked. The worst of the trip and I thought, holy cow, that bike has been to Key West and back without any trouble at all. That's amazing. That is one tough bike. Then I thought perhaps I should get him a set of those brass testicles that guys hang on the back of their pickup trucks. Lord knows, he has earned them.

Thanks for helping my guardian angel take care of me. I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Just one more day and he's home. Wishing him the best of luck on the weather and traffic.

Thank you Chris for posting his updates.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I asked Rich whether he intended to head for Long Island tomorrow (Friday), or wait a day, as the forecast for tomorrow is a wet one.

He replied, " If I hang out here till Saturday, my boots and gloves will have a chance to dry." Makes sense ... although Saturday it's supposed to be cold.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Rich adds:

"I will get the bike ready for winter mode, clean the windshield and mirrors so I can see again and get my electric heated gear ready for use. Hard to be leave, last week 80 to 90 degrees and now heated gear.

"It's hard to believe this trip is almost over. Thanks to my family down in Florida, I have many fine memories to look back on.

"I don't remember if I mentioned that I took routes 17 and 13 home from Florida. That took longer but took me along the East coast well East of rout 95. Nice scenery and included the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel."

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Here is proof that I was at the Key West Police station. I was very disappointed that I could not get a tee shirt from them for a friend and myself. It was Saturday and the person that handled that was off for the weekend.

This morning I cleaned the windshield and mirrors on the bike so I can again see where I am going and where I have been. I also installed the crash bar chaps so the bike is ready for cold weather operation. The heated gear is in the house so I am all set. The weather looks good for the trip home tomorrow and that is my plan.

I may take the bike out this afternoon to pick up something at Home Depot for my daughter, if the rain stops as forecast. That will give me a chance to test the heated gear before tomorrow's trip.

I forgot to tell you that while stopped at a gas station yesterday, a woman came over to me and said "What a beautiful motorcycle that is", obviously a woman of good taste.
:D

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
We have snow coming tonight into tomorrow....only 1-3", be careful Rich

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm sending up some prayers for Rich's safe ride from Pennsylvania to his home on Long Island.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Received this at 7 o'clock this morning:

Good morning Chris.

I have been pinned down at my daughter's home since arriving on Thursday. Snow at home on LI. I will try to make the trip today. My wife will call with weather update this am.

Rich

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Welcome home Rich, Welcome home...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Glad to hear he made it safe and sound, what a great ride it must have been!

Thanks you lady for the updates along the way. I really enjoyed the virtual ride along.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts