Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I found some useful posts on repainting motorcycles for you.

Motorcycle Painting
How to Paint a Motorcycle | eHow
How to Repaint Motorcycle Plastic | eHow

My experience with painting stuff is I always use a little more paint (too much) just before the thing is perfect. My drying area has never been dust free enough and insects can ruin newly painted surfaces. Watch out for those drips and puddles from too much paint. Many coats is best. Professional looking paint jobs are usually done by professionals.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
For years now myself and my brother-in- law have been painting our own toys and if there is anything I can say that we have learned is you are truly only as good as your equipment. We have tried slowly doing some upgrades over the years but the good stuff isn't cheap. Similar to what RedRyder said a pro paint job you also need pro tools and equipment. Just for example last year we finally caved and purchased a $150.00 hvlp spray gun which made a huge difference from the cheap $40.00 one we were using. It's things like that. Plus water filters and exhaust and the right temps and so many things that affect it. Thats why sometimes people don't understand how a motorcycle pro paint job can cost them$800.00 but it's crazy to think but totally understandable if you have done it before. If you decide you want to tackle it and run into any snags or need advice just ask.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For years now myself and my brother-in- law have been painting our own toys and if there is anything I can say that we have learned is you are truly only as good as your equipment. We have tried slowly doing some upgrades over the years but the good stuff isn't cheap. Similar to what RedRyder said a pro paint job you also need pro tools and equipment. Just for example last year we finally caved and purchased a $150.00 hvlp spray gun which made a huge difference from the cheap $40.00 one we were using. It's things like that. Plus water filters and exhaust and the right temps and so many things that affect it. Thats why sometimes people don't understand how a motorcycle pro paint job can cost them$800.00 but it's crazy to think but totally understandable if you have done it before. If you decide you want to tackle it and run into any snags or need advice just ask.

Ive painted a couple of part but plastic and my result was pretty good. I paint spray in construction so im use to a spray gun. Its not exacly the same but prety close. So what i dont know is the sanding procedure. And i whant to know if primer is necesary

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some useful posts on repainting motorcycles for you.

Motorcycle Painting
How to Paint a Motorcycle | eHow
How to Repaint Motorcycle Plastic | eHow

My experience with painting stuff is I always use a little more paint (too much) just before the thing is perfect. My drying area has never been dust free enough and insects can ruin newly painted surfaces. Watch out for those drips and puddles from too much paint. Many coats is best. Professional looking paint jobs are usually done by professionals.:wayhappy:

Thx for the links

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just dropped my tank and fenders of to the painter, he asked for a quart of urethane DuPont, and he said he would primer it and clear it .
I'm going black over black, So I guess yes you would need primer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts