Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a good part of the day working on removing the engine. I'm down to the engine mounting bracket bolts. Working with a 1/2 drive breaker bar and the required 14mm socket.

I've twisted and broken two short extensions. Albeit, the extensions have been reduced down to 3/8 due to the socket type. They are twisting at the socket, not the breaker bar end. These are not cheap tools.

At this point, I'm very close to rounding off the nuts on 2 of them. I've used penetrating spray and let it sit for the morning. These nuts will just not budge. The other issue is the swing arm pivot nuts. Don't know the size? Somewhere in the 22-24mm range?

Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated. I may need to get some compressor power behind the socket. But, don't want to invest in a compressor ratchet just for this part of the job.

RV

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
I had a nut stuck once on the Nomad, I had a breaker bar but would not budge. Ended up getting a 6 foot pipe and put it over the breaker bar, leverage helped. Can you rent a compressor ratchet somewhere?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a nut stuck once on the Nomad, I had a breaker bar but would not budge. Ended up getting a 6 foot pipe and put it over the breaker bar, leverage helped. Can you rent a compressor ratchet somewhere?
That's a possibility Jen. I'm on a budget while parting out a 2006 C50. I will need to replace my 3/8 drive extensions and get a 1/2 drive extension to adapt to an air ratchet.

Thanks,

RV

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Impact wrench, air or electric, or heat.

I picked up a 110V impact wrench from Sears for about $60. Only used it a couple times, but when I needed it I really needed it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think of an air ratchet much like a power screw driver. You want an Impact gun for stuck tight fasteners maybe including heat!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hammer driven hand impac

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is a tip with engine mount bolts. There is a penetrating catalyst called PB blaster..comes in an aerosol can spray the bot down first and let it set for an hour...come back and break it loose.

if that doesn't work. try to turn the bolt the wrong way, inthat I mean try to tightenit to budge it then immediately go back the right way.

lastly...Impact wrench(air), but Harbor freight does sell an electric one that is 150 ft lbs.
bang the hell out of it.

super last....mapp gas or propane on a torch head.heat heat heat. the frame around the bolt and this is a last resort. Typically the frame and bolt are dissimilar metals and tend to chemically bond them selves together after years of being married

·
Registered
134 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts