Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a leather kickstand cover for $.50 at a garage sale. I am wondering how i get the spring off of the little knob on the kickstand without wrecking it.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
A brake spring removal tool will work nicely (drum shoe type brakes on trucks/cars).

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
check this thread: http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=13610&highlight=frog+skins

many members here have frog skins made by Frog Hunter... I'm thinking his are laced and you just open & slide on the stand leg and lace tight with a way to tie in the lacing at the top of stand.

How does yours connect? and do you really need to take the spring off?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it snaps together with about 8 snapes. I wanted to get the spring off, cut a little hole in the leather that would go over that knob and snap it together and put the spring back on.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
adambomb said:
it snaps together with about 8 snapes. I wanted to get the spring off, cut a little hole in the leather that would go over that knob and snap it together and put the spring back on.
i just used a hook from a bungee cord.... lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PhL0aTeR said:
adambomb said:
For real? Did you really just use a bungee cord hook?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
adambomb said:
PhL0aTeR said:
adambomb said:
Sure, that'll work.. so will an old screwdriver with a 180 degree bend/hook in it.. That is what I use.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
adambomb said:
PhL0aTeR said:
adambomb said:
yessir.... i might advise some safety eyewear, but it gets em off and puts em back on

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see, what would i do without you guys and gals. Id probably still be trying to pull it off with my hands. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
adambomb said:
see, what would i do without you guys and gals. Id probably still be trying to pull it off with my hands. :lol:
that just sounds painful..... lol

half of my wrench time is sometimes spent looking around for dual use items if i dont have the "right tool" lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use long nosed vise grips on the straight part of the spring just ahead of the hook.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Extend the side stand. With the spring stretched, stick pennies in the open coils then retract the stand. The pennies will keep the spring extended and you should be able to just lift the spring off.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Goldstar225 said:
Extend the side stand. With the spring stretched, stick pennies in the open coils then retract the stand. The pennies will keep the spring extended and you should be able to just lift the spring off.
now THAT is ingenuity.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
wehrd1 said:
Goldstar225 said:
now THAT is ingenuity.
no fear of losing an eye???? niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Goldstar225 said:
Thats a great idea. Good thing i have been saving my pennies.

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
I should have read this thread first...

How NOT to remove the spring:

1- lay under bike
2- use heavy pliers to grab the spring
3- pull pliers toward face

if the pliers slip...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Goldstar225 said:
Pure brillance! Ed... well that's another story. :D

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Another "How (not) to" by Ed!
Damn!

·
Registered
801 Posts
# 2 or 3 philps screwdriver works wonders and chances are you have one in your toolbox, no need to buy a special tool you will only use once.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts