Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was that first ride like on your own motorcycle? There are a lot of significant first times in life. Think about your first time on your own motorcycle: what kind of motorcycle, what was the day like, where did you go, how did you feel, feel any nerves, meet your expectations. Please share.

For me, it hasn't happened yet. Four more inches of snow last night means I will have to wait a little longer BUT I will share when the day comes. (Yes, I am doing the MSF

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
My 1st time was on a 1960 Cushman Eagle 100 that my dad bought for me from a farmer for $60. 2-speed gear shift knob came up on left side of tank, clutch on the floor, and you rolled the throttle "forward". It was freedom.
This is just like the one I had except mine was white. Also, this is a 1959 model so, I'm not sure what year mine was now.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
My first ride was on a Cushman also. Boy lived about 4 houses down had one. When I was 4 years old he rode me around the yard. I was standing tall on that front floor board. Messed me up bad! I was walking by his house a few days later and I just had to go over and touch that angel. After watching him crank it for over a year I felt sure I could do the same. I just wanted to see if I could make that kick starter go down. It went down sure enough. IT CRANKED! It surged forward. Boy came out the front door with a "not so happy look on his face". At age 4 I had heard of something called death. He didn't kill me. I guess I was lucky. I've had scooter fever since 1964 up until a bout 3 years ago. I now own one. Nice one, real nice.
Guys, don't ever ride a scooter. You will want one.

My first solo was on some type of worn out bike with tall skinny tires, no rear brake and a throttle that hung up. Must have been near 90cc. Felt like 900cc when the front tire was sliding on the wet grass. All I wanted to do was get off that dayum thing.

How many of y'all can say your first solo had the throttle stick? Huh?

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
My first ride was through my neighborhood to a parking lot where I could practice. I remember thinking I was going too fast and looked down to see I was only doing 15mph. :biglaugh:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
My first ride was on a small bike in the MSF course in 1970. When getting back into riding in 2009 my first ride was on my new-to-me 2004 Volusia when I rode it home from the dealer. It was a long cold ride home and I loved every minute of it. When I got home my face muscles were sore from smiling.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For me it was 1993. I was 14 and homeless. Bought a Suzuki 750 for 50$. Got the money begging on the street. Didn't have a license, or even know how to drive a car with a clutch. Drove it over the mountain between alma and Breckenridge Colorado everyday looking for a job that didn't ask my age and would let me work. Minimum work age without a signed paper was 15 at the time. I Was squatting in an abandoned shack for the Pennsylvania mine at the end of a dirt road. First time I started it, I buried it in the dirt and ended up laying it down. About the third time I had the clutch figured out enough to get it moving without stalling our spinning tires. Took a long time to get the hang of leaning around corners. I had to take it slow for quite some time as I would tend to straighten them out. Was primer Gray with no signals but it ran pretty good. With it I was able to find some under the table jobs and a couple years later get off the streets. Been hooked every since. The Marines got me the rest of the way off the streets. Great memories, I wonder what ever happened to it. I had giving it to another guy when I moved on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
52,306 Posts
Late 1960's, 80cc Suzuki, bought with My own money from working on a paving/concrete crew, when I was 16 years old.
Always carried a baby food jar of 2 stroke oil under the side cover.......no oil injection on that machine.
My best friend from down the street, bought a 55cc Yamaha, and that machine blew the doors off of most of the smaller bikes around, including mine.
Back then, we quickly learned about the superiority of the "rotory valve" induction system, versus direct "carburetor to intake port" induction.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
1978, Honda CB200 and it was blue. I was up most of the night before going through the motions in my head with the gears and clutch, brake, etc. I thought it was so cool cause it had an electric starter and enough power for me to take girls for rides.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Up the incline of my driveway into the garage. Was hoping not to hit the back wall, lol

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

1973 Augusta, Ga on a Suzuki 125 at zero dark thirty, could not see the road! The headlight was aimed at killer drones! My neighbor loaned me his bike as my car a 1967 BMW 1800tii was down AGAIN! It took weeks to months to get parts for the European model.

Once I got the headlight figured out and adjusted, I bought a Yamaha RD250. Then a Norton 750, a BMW R60 while I was stationed in Germany and a Suzuki GT500 which I sold to pay for a honeymoon.

Now I have a V Star 1100 and very happy with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
First for me was a 93(??) Suzuki Katana 750. Didn't realize i had to lean to turn, almost hit a ditch crossing the street. Never laid it down though. I remember revving it and being intimidated by the weight and sound, fearing I'd drop it at some point. First time on an actual road/highway, I picked it up from the shop and rode it home, had no clue what i was doing and was white knuckled the whole way.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
My first was a 73 suzuki 380GT. I just loved it. I finally thought I had my freedom as I was o.ly 18 (in 1977). Just graduating H.S. had my own job. The ride was smooth and I could outrun my friends on their bikes. It had better brakes than my bully does.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
My first ride is in my signature picture. A 1996 Honda Elite 80.

When I actually went all the way down my driveway and onto Spring Street, then turned onto Park Lane and zoomed down to the firehouse parking lot ... I was all seriousness at first. Then I started to grin. Then I started to laugh. :D

I stopped laughing abruptly when I took the 90-degree turn on Park Lane too fast, wandered into the other lane, and there was a car coming. :oops:

Good learning on my very first ride.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
When I read the title to this thread, it was not what I thought it was! Glad I didn't post anything ......... LOL :biglaugh:

·
Registered
150 Posts
well i learned to ride like most on a kawi 50 when i was about 12. However i did not buy a bike to own until just over a year ago. A Suzuki S40. My first ride was i believe to the DMV so i could practice going around that stupid circle for the test lol. It was in January but was a very nice day. I quickly realized it was not the bike for the kind of riding i was going to be doing, mostly canyons with my brother and nephew, so i bought a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R sport bike which i love. I just sold my S40 on Saturday and have a bid in on a C50 right now so i can keep both cruiser and sport bike.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weather finally got nice Thursday. My MSF course was postponed a couple of weeks ago because of weather. They pushed it off a month. I tried to get the date moved to this weekend since it is almost 60 outside but no dice since it is Valentines Day weekend. Ugh...Forget it. I decide to get the c50 out and baby it for a ride for a few minutes.

I practice getting started about 3-4 times, gently releasing the clutch until first gear engages. Back up the bike and try again, again, and again. This is going well and I only stop the engine once. I look over at the parking lot I was planning to go to and it is still full of snow. Now what? Am I going to take it back to the garage or to the street? There isn't much traffic. So, I go for it.

I wasn't ready for the sensitivity on the gas. I pull back, get rolling and the bike jumps forward, faster than I intended. Not a whiskey throttle, just a little more than I was prepared for. No problem, just roll back and keep going. I roll back to much and bike lurches as it slows down. I give it gas again and it is too much. I was leaning toward the neighbors yard and jumping forward. Down I went. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! I can't believe it. I am mad at myself for not being more patient. Why couldn't I have waited. (hmmm sounds like some other people after their first time...) OH NO!!! My palm has caught the Throttle Boss on the gas. The bike starts spinning around like crazy. I hit the kill switch. Everything stops.

I get up and check things out. I am alive. My boots are ok but for some scuffing on my left toe. Left knee of jeans...torn up. Looks like some red under the jeans but doesn't really hurt. Bike looks fine. Notice a big scratch in the road in the figure of a 6. Decision time. Do I slink back to the garage, check my knee and give it up for at least two more weeks or what?

I'm too stubborn. I never give up. I relax. Get lined up. Know what to expect and go for it down my street. No problems. I am nervous, trying to keep up with everything going on. Staying in first gear...nope, engine sounds too revved, I go to second. Hmmmm time to turn left. I am going to fast for regular steering, time to counter steer. Nice corner. Off to the stop sign.

Long story shorter - I only put four miles on the bike, driving around the park across from my house. I did ok. I was nervous and was trying to feel the bike out. Took it home and went inside to check my left knee. Ooops I should have come home sooner. The wife wants to take me to the ER for stitches. I don't think so. We clean it up and bandage it up. I may have a couple of scars instead of spending 500 dollars at the ER. I think I am done now for sure... until my knee heals and I get to the MSF course.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh no. It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood today. My knee is feeling much better but is all bandaged up. I want to get some practice in - hopefully in a little smarter way. The wife is gone so I decide to take the bike out again.

Today, I drove to the parking lot of the park that is about 50 yards from the house. I go to the little parking lot and practice. My turns really need work from previous experience (of course). I put over 10 miles on the bike in this little parking lot doing loops to the left and to the right. I try some big figure 8s and no more figure 6s. I practice braking and starting and looking for my turns by keeping my head up and looking for my desired destination. Everything went great! I had a good time and the time flew by.

My wife returned home and saw me in the parking lot. I haven't asked her what her first thoughts were. She comes out to get me. I casually drive back to the house. That practice in the parking lot really helped a lot. I should have waited a couple of more days and gone straight to the parking lot instead of heading down the street. Oh well...

I'll be back at the parking lot some more and then, I'll go back to circling the park.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since both my mother and fathers have passed on I can relate this without any fear of recrimination or family upheaval. My 1st ride back in the late 60's was an old Canadian war surplus single cylinder owned by my uncle. I believe it was a Simplex, but I could be mistaken. . . he actually wasn't much older then I was at the time. We could only get it to run for about 20 minutes or so before it would stall out, but I was hooked. Been riding ever since, that is, once I was on my own and legal. ~ S ~

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
First ride was next door neighbor my best friend - It was a one of a kind three wheeled large motorized chair designed to be operated by a cripple with one working hand.
It was a lot of fun and we rode it all summer.
First ride was on a belt driven motor bike I think it was a Whizzer I bought from a neighbor kid but couldn't keep because my dad found out it wasn't legal for a kid my age to legally operate. I was really excited on the ride home but disappointed when I couldn't talk my dad into letting me just use it in our neighborhood.
My Wife surprised me for my birthday by taking me to a local motorcycle shop and we purchased a Suzuki TS250 trail and street bike which I still run once every few years or so. The shops owner delivered the bike with his pickup truck. It made me remember that old belt driven motor bike It was pure joy mixed with great childhood memories. I learned to ride with about 12,000 miles in the dirt and a 1,000 or so getting to an from trails.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts