Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have honestly gone through all the forums looking for all applicable information, checked out the Vault at Volusiagate, but I still have some questions about what I am doing on Saturday:

1. motorcyclecarbs sent me: 1 pilot, 1 main, 1 washer, 1 rubber washer and 3 screws.

2. Pilot and main I understand. Three screws are probably because I am going to wreck the original three trying to break them free. Yes?

3. Washer - where does this go? Inside the carburetor, as alluded to in the rejetting pdf file I found at the vault? Where on the needle does it go, just at the end? And what does this needle do, while I am at it?

4. I assume the rubber washer is to replace the itty bitty one that I will find inside the diaphragm, correct?

5. How about that mixture screw? Assuming I can figure out where it is, will I see it from the side or is it totally hidden from view? If I do aim for the right spot, do I use like a 1/8 drill, like I think I saw mentioned.

6. Do I need to cover it up after, what is the purpose of this cover that needs to be drilled to be accessed. Seems goofy to me.

I know, I sound like an idiot, just getting more cautious as I get older, that's all.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
Alberta Rider said:
Okay, I have honestly gone through all the forums looking for all applicable information, checked out the Vault at Volusiagate, but I still have some questions about what I am doing on Saturday:

1. motorcyclecarbs sent me: 1 pilot, 1 main, 1 washer, 1 rubber washer and 3 screws.

2. Pilot and main I understand. Three screws are probably because I am going to wreck the original three trying to break them free. Yes?
Yes, that's correct, if you mangle the original ones holding on the cover that houses the pilot and main, you can replace with those.

Alberta Rider said:
3. Washer - where does this go? Inside the carburetor, as alluded to in the rejetting pdf file I found at the vault? Where on the needle does it go, just at the end? And what does this needle do, while I am at it?
It goes on the needle, on the bottom side. So not above the clip, but as the bottom washer on the needle.

Alberta Rider said:
4. I assume the rubber washer is to replace the itty bitty one that I will find inside the diaphragm, correct?
That is also correct, although, if you don't lose the original one, or if it's not damaged, you may as well use the original and keep the other as a spare for the next time you rejet...incase it falls down the drain then!

Alberta Rider said:
5. How about that mixture screw? Assuming I can figure out where it is, will I see it from the side or is it totally hidden from view? If I do aim for the right spot, do I use like a 1/8 drill, like I think I saw mentioned.
If you have the PDF from the document vault, print it out and finding the mix screw is easy as finding the keyhole in your front door. Use that drill bit to just break through the brass plug, the plug may come right out with the drill bit, if not, insert a screw into the hole you just created and pull the whole thing out with a pliers.

Alberta Rider said:
6. Do I need to cover it up after, what is the purpose of this cover that needs to be drilled to be accessed. Seems goofy to me.
Holy moley no! The plug needs to be removed to gain access to the mix screw. You may need to tweak that from time to time so you certainly don't want to replug it. Plus, it would be a pain in the butt to do!

I know, I sound like an idiot, just getting more cautious as I get older, that's all.

Thanks in advance![/quote]Hope this helps.

Wade

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just did this last weekend for my first time. It's a lot easier than you think. Once you have the carb out and take it apart, you will easily see where everything goes. Just follow the steps as they are laid out and you will not have any problems.
The washer that comes with the kit. You will see one identical to it on the vacuum slide when you pull it out. Just add that washer (it's actually called a shim) to the one that is already there. It sits between the spring and the collar on the slide.
The bike runs so much better now that I have done this. I have been running debaffled with only an adjustment to the mixture screw for over a year now. Did the rejet and put a K&N in last weekend. What a difference that made!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I did the rejetting over the weekend. It was pretty much as easy as everyone said.

But, I think motorcyclecarbs sent me the wrong main jet.

It was really really hard to read the size, even with a magnifying glass. But I think I had 38 and 142, maybe.

Anyhow, my 0-60 mph time is down from about 7 seconds to just under 6 right now. Very acceptable.

But my 55-85 mph times got longer, from 8 seconds to 11 seconds.

My mixture screw I have set at 2 1/4 turns.

So, I am talking to motorcyclecarbs (well email really) and will hopefully get this settled out. What do I need to do with the mixture screw now to get things finished off?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey Alberta,

Give me your bike configuration...
What pipes, debaffled? what air filter?
U sure the pilot said 38 and the jet is 142

Something fishy here...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, the bike is an '03
Stock pipes, drilled out in the back only
K&N filter

When I ordered it from motorcyclecarbs this is the same information that I gave them. I don't recall him telling what he was sending, and the invoice doesn't say what the parts are.

Squinting really hard with a magnifying glass and looking at the parts it seems to be a 38 and a 142, but it was really tough to figure out. Even looking at the stock ones was difficult.

So I put them in anyway, just to see if maybe I was reading them wrong, put the one shim in (there are a total of two shims on the needle now), mixture is at 2 1/4, that's about it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What is fishy is the 38 pilot...can you get a better magnifying lens and check it. Normal pilot for you bike config is a 37.5 and the jet should be a Mikuni 152.5 +/- one size.
I know that Robert was having trouble getting the 37.5 pilots
Maybe he is using a substitute...U may want to ask him.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update and questions (will the questions never end?)

Okay, turns out he gave me the wrong main jet, he is sending out a 150 for me. Apparently I get that due to my higher altitude (2200ft).

Now, the questions:

Why did this affect my top end, which normally is about 95 mph and is now only 80 mph?

Why did he ask me if I was reaching max rpm in each gear. "In third gear, can you max out the rpm or are you peaking out a few thousand rpm short of where you should be?"

Why did he ask me if I was getting sputtering at the top end of each gear?

And, how do I know what the correct setting for my mixture screw is? Apparently, from reading, it could be anywhere from 1.5 to 3.0 turns, 2 2.5 being the more common range

1 - 9 of 9 Posts