Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic but I have done minor maintence and did install the 2" lowering bones myself. I'm not afraid to try just don't want to tear something up, wether bike or jet kit, and then have to spend more money. The dealer quoted me $60 labor to do it.

:?:

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
I've rejeted both carbs on by bike a few times. And did some rebuilding on a 4 carbed bike that I had. I am no machanic!

It gets easier with each time but $60 is not a bad price if they agree that if they mess up the mixture at first then they will make it right.

BUT i know the satisfaction that comes with doing things yourself.

There is a site called the the rusks. it has a jetting matrix and step by step instructions on how to do the carb. hopefully someone will come along and post a link.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
If that $60 includes jets and pilot of your choice, no matter how good you are with working on a bike, I would go that route.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mort said:
If that $60 includes jets and pilot of your choice, no matter how good you are with working on a bike, I would go that route.
No that's just labor. The Jet kits is another $65

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Others may chime in but to me rejetting the Volusia carb was 1/4 as hard as adjusting the tappets. It is about as difficult as doing a dePAIR when you remove all the PAIR plumbing. There are enough people here that can help you walk thru the rejet. Just go slow, watch out for the little O ring and make sure you have new screws for the main jet cover because you will prolly ruin them on removal. Many dealers will remove the mixture screw cover when you take the bike in at 600. Yours might already have been removed-which allows you to skip that step.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
alex said:
Mort said:
No that's just labor. The Jet kits is another $65
but do you need a whole kit or can you just bring him the jets that you need replaced?

I changed out JUST my main jets and my mixture screw didn't need any drilling like on the volusia. It cost me next to nothing after I knew what size jets to use. The 'matrix' will tell you that info.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Toe Knee is right^. What happened to just getting the exact parts you need from motorcyclecarbs.com. I ordered mine according to Briman's matrix and paid about $20.00 total for what I needed to rejet for UNI filter. AND it came with a pilot jet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mort said:
Others may chime in but to me rejetting the Volusia carb was 1/4 as hard as adjusting the tappets. It is about as difficult as doing a dePAIR when you remove all the PAIR plumbing. There are enough people here that can help you walk thru the rejet. Just go slow, watch out for the little O ring and make sure you have new screws for the main jet cover because you will prolly ruin them on removal. Many dealers will remove the mixture screw cover when you take the bike in at 600. Yours might already have been removed-which allows you to skip that step.
... yep to all that ...

... to avoid tearing up the screws ... set a phillips in them and give them a good smack with a set of Kleins (electricians pliers) ... my "hammer" of choice as it isn't really overkill and a true hammer seems excessive unless you can control your inner Tim Allen ... anyway ... tapping them will help break them loose and then (important) brace the carb so that you can apply some heavy pressure when you start unscrew them ... once they start you are home free on the screws ... the next trick will be the little o-ring that will try to disappear for no reason at all ...

... you can do it with a basic set of tools and a CLEAN well-lit area ... remember to keep a clean towel over your motor while you are handeling ANYTHING around your bike ... once "anything" falls it you are up a very big river (forget the creek) with no paddle and a sinking raft ...

... all that aside ... yeah ... it's a piece of cake ...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I rejetted last September and it was my first time. In case you're interested, I have some pictures from my re-jet job in my gallery that may be helpful to you. I was able to do all the work just from the info available here and at therusks.com.
I agree with the rest of the guys here, don't go blow $65 on a jet "kit" with a bunch of jets you won't need. Get the one main jet and pilot jet you need for your particular set up and just install those parts. I have a box of jets in my garage that will likely never see the light of day because I blew my money on a "kit."

Check out my pics and let me know if they're helpful.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
good pictures to help in the rejet. The mod in your gallery is the gas cap mod and prolly a garage door opener.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts