Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rejetted my own bike with a kit ordered from Robert at Motorcycle Carbs and a K & N filter. I just wanna say...thanks to Briman for all the info on his site and the encouragement I received from members here on this site. It was easier than I thought...but here's the thing. (stock pipes) 35 main jet 147.5 pilot jet, 2 shims on the needle, mixture screw at 3 turns, as well as the k & n filter, it certainly has more power mid-range, but it sputters and stalls when I rap the throttle a bit. But if I roll it gently, no stall. It stalls also when I take off from a complete stop. Did I do something wrong....forget a step maybe? anyone have ideas, I did a search and found some stuff but not sure that it applies to this situation.

·
Registered
876 Posts
LC37.5,

Are you using the stock OEM needle with the 2 shims?
Do you smell gasoline from the exhaust?
Any black smoke from the exhaust?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the stock needle, it had one shim on it...just added the one the Robert sent in the kit, not noticing a gas smell really or black smoke. I've checked the pipes for a black residue but nothing there. Are you thinking too rich, should I knock back the mixture screw a bit?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds like you may be a bit lean...
Try keeping the choke out about 1 CM and see if it still
has a problem with stalling from a stop.

Most rejets use a 37.5 pilot and a 150 or 152.5 mikuni jet

Do you remember the needle snapping into place after
you added the one washer?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do know that I snapped the needle into place...I got that tip right here from one of the other posts. I'll try it with the choke out a bit next time I ride, this weekend hopefully. I will take it for a good long ride, watch for black smoke, gas smell or any other quirks and post again. Thanks so much for your help PapaPig!!!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
OK LC38,

Check for the smell of gas with the choke all the way in AND
check the performance with the choke out about 1 CM

Send me an email this weekend as I check that regularly.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Your mixture screw is out to far if it is like my bike (K&N, Debaffled stock pipes). Turn the mixture screw all the way in and then back out 1 1/2 turns. Warm the bike up about 5 min, turn the idle adjustment up to a fast idle, then turn the mixture screw out about a 1/8 of a turn at a time till the bike idle's the fastest. Then turn the mixture screw back in about 1/8 of a turn. Reset idle to where it was. My bike runs best at about 1 3/4 turns out.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks everyone for your input. I knew if I put out the call for help I would certainly get it. I am gonna give it go tomorrow...you know what they say...if at first you don't succeed....post again, you'll get what you need. (who are THEY anyway)?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here's the update. Took the bike out for a spin, i couldn't detect any gasoline smell or black smoke. The bike ran soooo much better with the choke almost at the first notch but not quite, still a sputter or two and really noticeable hesitation at the throttle. I also tried knocking the mixture screw back in like shooterex suggested, stalled all the way to the end of the driveway. I am thinking you are right PapaPig....too lean. Should I get one size larger for both the pilot and main jets? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I wasn't telling you to just turn the mix screw all the way in. That was a set of directions on how to adjust it to the right setting. Also check to make sure your carb is sealed in the intake and the air cleaner hose is not letting in extra air at the junction with the carb. New jets will not solve a air leak.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wasn't telling you to just turn the mix screw all the way in. That was a set of directions on how to adjust it to the right setting. Also check to make sure your carb is sealed in the intake and the air cleaner hose is not letting in extra air at the junction with the carb. New jets will not solve a air leak.
Sorry shooterrex, I wasn't to clear on my previous post. I turned the mixture screw all the way in and then backed it out 1.5 turn....adjusted the idle as best I could, backed out the mixture screw a bit more...and then reset the idle by ear. It just didn't run very well. I will order new jets from Robert, but in the mean time I can tear the bike apart and go over it again. If it does turn out to be an air leak, I'll only be out a few bucks and a bit of pride :oops:. At least she'll be running beautifully just in time to go into storage for the season, am sure snow will be flying in October here. :shock: I'll get on this to do list and repost again when all the various bits are in place. Thanks everyone!!![/quote]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts