Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share the latest “bike” project. Due to that I have older bikes (’05 C90 and a ’02 Bandit) and I’m a mediocre mechanic, I needed a way to single handedly, recover a dead bike.

I already had an Ultra-Tow, 4x8 aluminum folding trailer and a Harbor Freight wheel chock. I added some reinforcements and a hand winch mount to the trailer. I added fixed caster wheels to the HF chock and also made a separate lead-in ramp. All total, I have about $55 in parts to modify the trailer and wheel chock.

Since the trailer is a folder, I can pull the pins securing the front yoke and tilt the whole deck to facilitate loading the bike. While winching the bike onto the deck, when it reaches the balance point, the deck pivots to horizontal and I can pin the front yoke. I expected the deck to slam down when the bike reached the balance point, but it was actually very slow and controlled.

The pics are the 1st test of the system using by 460lb Bandit. The real test will be pulling the 700lb C90 onto the trailer. I opted for a hand winch, but after finding out it takes over 800 cranks of the handle to pull the cable 8’, I’m rethinking about using a 12vdc winch.

Reactions: Rob 61 and SJ86

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Digging it!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A mother of invention!(y)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the recovery trailer idea works great with the big bike . . . dammit.

The C90 died (again) on the ride to work. No warning lights, no indications there's a problem, it just stops running. It turns over great and I can hear the fuel pump doing it's thing, but it won't fire. This is the 3rd time it's happened since putting the bike back together after paint.

The 1st time it died, I was about 4 or 5 miles into the ride, stopped at a traffic light. The 2nd time (this morning), I was in 2nd or 3rd gear going about 25mph through a school zone. The last time it died, I was down shifting and braking for a stop sign. All this points to there's nothing obviously common causing it to die.

When I got it home after the 1st dying, the damn thing started fine. I disassembled it to chase all the wiring relevant to the coils and found no problems. Back together, let it idle (with a large fan on it) for a half hour, no problems Since then I've put about 30 miles on it (3 separate excursions) without a problem. This morning, 5 miles from home, it died. At lunch today, I got a ride home to retrieve the trailer. On the way, we stopped and checked that the bike was still there, and what do you know, it started fine. With my helper following, I rode it home, but it died again after about 4 miles. When I got back with the trailer, it would not star, and after trailering it home, it would not start.

I'm hoping its something silly, like the ECU isn't seated properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts