Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen the new Honda Rebel 1100? I'm a bit annoyed that they used the Rebel name on an 1100cc bike, buuuut...

It's got the 1100cc Africa Twin engine in it, a really nice looking bobber style, throttle by wire, cruise control, and a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission), which is Honda's automatic transmission for motorcycles. All of that for an MSRP of only $10k.

I've got to admit that it has my interest peaked.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I`d like to give that a test ride. I think I would like it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the Rebel 500 as my first ride, absolutely loved it! Had the same bazooka looking exhaust on it. The Two Brothers exhaust made the 500 sound pretty mean though. Only reason I traded the Rebel in was the fact that it isn't comfortable for riding a passenger. Things may have changed but there weren't too many options for passenger setups when I owned it. For a solo ride it's awesome though. I see a few minor differences but for the most part it looks like Honda stuffed the Africa Twin Motor into the Rebel frame. I like it!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wonder how 1100 it is for taller riders? From pictures, looks quite small.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
I see a few minor differences but for the most part it looks like Honda stuffed the Africa Twin Motor into the Rebel frame. I like it!
That's about the size of it! Finally, that butt-kicking Africa Twin power plant in a frame that doesn't require a ladder to mount. Decent brakes, dual rear shocks, and cruise control, yeah!!

I toyed with the idea but in the end decided not to put a deposit down on one sight-unseen. If Americade takes place this summer, I'll get up there and take one for a test ride.

Seven years now I've ridden my CTX700 and overall loved it. My biggest gripes -- poor suspension and wanting more horsepower -- would be addressed by the Rebel 1100.

Verrrrry interesting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The newer Rebel 500 got a lot of praise for what it is. I'm interested to see how this thing scoots! Could be a contender for bikes like the Scout 60 and Triumph bobbers.

Reminds me of the older Shadow in a lot of ways. I dig the exposed frame. Love that look.

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
Alisa has a hankering for another motorcycle, so this is something we will certainly take a look at!

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
does look more like a ride for smaller or short legged riders...still...would be fun to try one out.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
Let's see -- a parallel twin liter engine, in a machine that only weighs around 500 pounds.

My CTX weighs around 500 pounds, and it's got a 670-cc motor. And it doesn't exactly poke along.

The new Rebel should run like a scared cat. :D

Features and price point look to me like this is going to give the Indian Scout a run for its money. Not to mention the Harley Sportster 1200.

We'll see how many moto-snobs dismiss it because it's not a V-twin, lacks "character," Hondas are must be boring, blah blah blah.

I hope Honda totally hits it out of the ballpark with this bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must admit that I wasn't sure about it when I first heard of it, but looking at it fairly, this is a real contender. If I were Harley or Indian, I'd be concerned.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
I see Honda also paid unusually careful attention to the Rebel 1100's lean angle. So this bike also might appeal to sport-bike riders who are tired of the punishing riding posture of a sport bike.

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
Ah, gratuitous photos of sexy wimmin.

That's my pal Beezer!

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
342 Posts
Over in the UK we stopped getting new cruisers a few years back (excluding Harley tractors). The cruiser market is almost non existent over here which is a shame.
The Rebel 1100 however is being sold over here, and so far I'm liking what I see. Good performance, full of safety tech, looks good (with aftermarket pipe) and its cheap. If i sell my C50, it will be for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts